Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My First Post - A Frustrating 620

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stern '15
GMAT 1: 620 Q38 V37
GPA: 3.42
WE: Marketing (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

My First Post - A Frustrating 620 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 13:35
Hello all,

This is my first post, but I wanted to let everyone know that these forums are an invaluable resource for me in my prep for the GMAT. Thank you everyone.

I took the GMAT today and ended up with a frustrating 620 (38Q 37V). I'm perplexed at those numbers because I lost track of time during the Quant and ended up leaving 4 or 5 questions blanks. I flew through the Verbal and found most of it to be easy. Perhaps my frustration at the end of Quant leaked into of my verbal and hurt my score.

My prep started only about 6 weeks ago, with Kaplan Premier (I averaged about 600 on their CATs, with a 680 being the high) & GMATPREP (scored a 730 on the last practice test 2 days ago). I wanted to make the early admissions deadline at my school of choice which is why I chose such an early test date.

I've been working in Sports Production since undergrad, so I'm a strong writer. I thought the verbal came easy for me as I was hitting more than 90% on RC & around 80% on SC and CR. I guess those aren't as good as I anticipated however. Is everyone usually disappointed by their Verbal score? It always seems low to me compared to how I thought I did.

I struggled on Quant. My achilles heel is my stubbornness. Math was my strong suit pre-college, but I hadn't done it since freshman year of college. It showed when I would take 4-5 minutes to crack even medium-level questions.

I'm going for a 720+ so I have about 8 weeks to do it in. Unfortunately I'll miss the early deadline for my school but like I said, I'm a strong writer with some good recommendations (alumni!) so I like my chances with a 720.

What would everyone suggest as the best prep? I think I'm going to order a few of the MGMAT books. Obviously my verbal isn't as good as I thought either so I will focus a bit more on that as well.

Thanks to everyone again on this forum. The GMATPrep tests don't provide explanations so I searched the questions here and found the threads to be an invaluable tool.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: My First Post - A Frustrating 620 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 19:22
Sorry to hear the bad 620. I wish your next try works for you.

Can you comment on how different/time-consuming SCs were?

Also, about RCs how long and how many??
Intern
Intern

Re: My First Post - A Frustrating 620 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 11:37
schandok wrote:
Sorry to hear the bad 620. I wish your next try works for you.

Can you comment on how different/time-consuming SCs were?

Also, about RCs how long and how many??

I usually take the most time with CR. SCs I seem to breeze through. I'm a native speaker so I usually pick it out by the one that sounds right to me. This is also to my detriment though, as I'll occasionally miss a complex modifier or parallelism. There were 3 RC, 2 were 2 paragraphs, 1 was 3 paragraphs. I take notes on each paragraph and can usually answer each of the RC questions in an instant because of my notes.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: My First Post - A Frustrating 620 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 14:11
Thanks for sharing. 3 RCs cool - folks have been seeing upto 5RCs.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: My First Post - A Frustrating 620 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 15:55
What program are you applying to? Depending on their average gmat you could be anywhere from fine to needing a retake.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Re: My First Post - A Frustrating 620 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 01:43
Sorry to hear the experience. Putting a little bit more effort in quant should take you >45 level.
Try to fix the basics in quantitative part first then do as many problems as you can. Speed comes with practice.
I am sure you will manage to improve your quant score!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: My First Post - A Frustrating 620 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 10:27
Really sorry about your experience but hey don't lose heart. Give it another go. It will turn out much better if you put in right steps.

All the best.
Intern
Intern

Re: My First Post - A Frustrating 620 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 11:42
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm giving myself 8 weeks. Ordered 2 of the MGMAT books (on inequalities and number properties) and will dive in head first when they arrive tomorrow. Hopefully, with my math "instincts" awakening (after hibernating for 6 years), I'll be able to get that Quant score up into the mid 40's.

Looking for entry into NYU, so it won't be easy.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: My First Post - A Frustrating 620 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 14:15
nymets5786 wrote:

I usually take the most time with CR. SCs I seem to breeze through. I'm a native speaker so I usually pick it out by the one that sounds right to me. This is also to my detriment though, as I'll occasionally miss a complex modifier or parallelism. There were 3 RC, 2 were 2 paragraphs, 1 was 3 paragraphs. I take notes on each paragraph and can usually answer each of the RC questions in an instant because of my notes.

Sorry to hear you weren't able to get the score you wanted this time. I'm sure round 2 will go better. :)

I think the MGMAT for the SC portion is a good idea- especially since you noted that you typically pick the one that sounds right to you. In the book, it specifically states that this is a common way to get tripped up on SC questions: we don't always speak as is grammatically correct. Go figure.

Good luck on your next try!
Re: My First Post - A Frustrating 620   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2011, 14:15