Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys, this is my first post and I would just like to say I'm glad to be here.

Anyway, I took the GMAT and it won...510 Q35 V26.

I was pretty stunned by my score to say the least. My previous practice tests were...

-PR Test...550
-PR retake...580
-GMAT Prep 1 550 Q39 V27
-GMAT Prep 2 520 Q34 V27
-GMAT Prep 1 retake 580 (can't remember the breakdown)
-GMAT Prep 2 retake 580 Q39 V31 (two days prior to real GMAT)

As you can imagine, I was quite stunned when I scored 510 two days after I scored 580 on GMATPREP.

I studied my butt off putting in 40 hours+ per week for 3 months. I knew quant was going to need help since I was never the math type. So probably 90% of the time I studied for math. Big mistake. I definately needed to spend more time on verbal. GMAT verbal is tough.

Anyway, I know I need alot of help on verbal and a little more help on quant.

As you can see by my handle, my target score is 600. I don't have any unrealistic expectations to get into a top 10-30 program. I know my abilities. IMO, a 600 will help me get into a good program when factored in with the rest of my resume.

I plan on taking the GMAT again in mid-October allowing me a good 1.5 months to study.

Any suggestions for help would be greatly appreciated. Particularly on the verbal.

Thanks guys.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9433 [1] , given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 20:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi! Welcome to GMAT Club!
Your goal is very possible. It sounds like you may have used the wrong materials...

If you can, pick up some good verbal books (see here for recommendations: best-gmat-verbal-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-78094.html?highlight=ml308) and also, take a look at this post: GMAT Fiction and also take a peek at the Study Plan (just updated)
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 20:17
Wow, thanks so much for the quick response.

I think the biggest problem I had on verbal is that the sheer amount of reading confused me. I am a bit dyslexic so reading isn't the easiest of things for me as it is.

I figure practicing a bunch on the verbal will help me. Just getting used to reading alot at one time.

I have the OG 12 but was not able to utilize it as much as I wish I had. Is it a good idea to just go through that entire book and review every practice problem?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9433 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 20:33
Expert's post
600orBust wrote:
Is it a good idea to just go through that entire book and review every practice problem?

That would be the last thing you should be doing.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 20:37
Sounds good. Thanks again BB.
Intern
Intern

Re: My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 12:50
I have another question...

Do any of yall recommend that I take an online course I can do at my on leisure that would be quick. Something I could complete in a matter of a few weeks so I can finish it in plenty of time before retaking GMAT in mid-October?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 53

Re: My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 18:14
This post received
KUDOS
600orBust,

Have a look at the following link (It has information on various test prep courses. Choose one that suits your schedule / budget )

gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html

HTH

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern

Re: My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 21:21
Thanks akaydee!

I'm looking through those links now!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 00:54
good luck!
Re: My first post is a disappointing debrief...510 and need help   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2010, 00:54