Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My first Test : Your Views

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My first Test : Your Views [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2006, 22:57
This is my first GMAT test. I have taken the Diagnostic Test before actually starting Preparation for GMAT to know where I stand.

Correct Wrong
Quant 21 16
Verbal 16 25

Score
37 41

GMAT Score : 440

I know this is pretty low score.

I could read following
1. I need to pay more attention to verbal part of test
2. Need to bring down wrong answers in Quant
[b]
Apart from these two obvious observation, can you send me your views about this score & way ahead. How should I plan my studies. [/b]

I would appreciate your views.

I have around 8 years of industry experience.

Thanks & Regards,
PP
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

A view [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 12:25
hi PP,
its good that after 8 yrs in industry, you still have energy to give GMAt and for that matter 440 is good in first test.

The scores reflect, you need to focus on both the areas equally. So, take some time off in sharpening your both the skills.

well then, bye

nagaraju

All the best for your gmat. Of all things, Belief in oneself takes you places....

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2006, 11:24
Hi pp2020,
I think you need to go back and see what were your mistakes and identify the pain areas. Find out your weaknesses, for example in Verbal what part was the most difficult, why did you go wrong in a particular question.
This analysis will only make you understand how you can design your study plan and use it more effectively.
There are plenty of resources on this forum where you can start. There are some sample study plans and many people have shared their study plans / advice on the sticky notes posts.
Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2006, 05:47
To do well, you're going to need to master both the fundamentals (math skills, grammar rules, etc.) and test-taking skills. If you practice diligently, it can definitely be done. (btw when I took a diagnostic cold, without any prep at all, my score was abysmal too!).

I would suggest starting with an overall review guide that explains the GMAT and how it works (there are a lot of built-in traps). "Cracking the GMAT" from the Princeton Review has the best review and tips, IMHO. It also has great practice tests that have answer explanations, and that are closer to the real thing than any other simulated tests out there. Be sure to analyze both your right and wrong answers so you see the patterns. Their tests also break down your score by question type, so you can see your weak and strong areas.

The other materials that most of us consider an absolute must are the official ones...the Official Guide, 11th edition, a book, and the GMATPrep tests, which you can download for free from http://www.mba.com. You can buy the OG and the PR book on Amazon.

If you are still struggling with verbal after you get more into your prep regimen, then I would get a separate verbal workbook. Again I would suggest PR because their verbal prep is particularly good.

Hope this helps get you started...and definitely use the error logs as described on this site!
Intern
Intern

Low Scores [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2006, 16:19
Dont feel bad, I scored a 430 on the actual exam after a month of study, I guess the anxiety got the best of me. Too much stress, too short time, not enough FULL lengh exam challanges.

Now that the hype is over, I can study at my leisure then take the gmat again. Im wont give up until im DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Low Scores   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2006, 16:19