Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 21:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Flight from 540 to 720

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Tuck, Michigan (Ross), Darden, MBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

My Flight from 540 to 720 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 22:53
I started with a 800 score test which was a shocker. I got a 540 on the first one and a 545 on the next one.

Post this I studied from OG, Manhattan SC, and Verbal Review. I also took help of the 1000 RC and 1000 CR files. I got Kaplan Advanced GMAT (also called Kaplan 800) on the penultimate day to improve on CR. My studies spanned a period of 2.5 months, during this while I was also a regular visitor to GMATClub and practiced tough questions here.

Regarding the tests that I took..

800 Score, Manhattan GMAT, GMATClub, and GmatPrep.

800 Score – Much tougher than the real GMAT. But a good source for 700+ level Quant Questions.
Test I – 540
Test II – 545
Test III – 640

Manhattan GMAT – Awesome practice. It is quite close to the real GMAT. Ability to generate reports helps you pin point areas one needs to work on. A MUST DO.
Test I – 680 (Q47, V35)
Test II – 680 (Q47, V35)
Test III – 680 (Q47, V35)
Test IV – 680 (Q48, V35)
Test V – 710 (Q49, V36)

GMATClub – This is the best practice to get your quant fundas right. Highly recommended for people having a tough time with DS. I took around 8 tests and my scores varied quite a bit. From 60 percentile to 96 percentile. But on an average I scored above 85 in most of these tests.

GMATPrep –Simulates the real GMAT the most. Best practice ever.

Test I – 740 (Q50,V41)
Test II – 720 (Q49, V39)

REAL GMAT – My test was scheduled for 9 AM. I could not sleep the night before the D Day due to anxiety. I started with the AWAs and quickly finished them in 40 minutes. I found QUANT relatively tougher than GMATPrep. I started off slowly to ensure that I get the first 15 questions correct. I almost spent 9 minutes on two questions. My mind was not working as smoothly as it normally does due to lack of sleep. I had lost track of time. Before I realized what was happening I had only 13 minutes left and I was left with 14 questions. I woke up from my slumber and completed all the questions in the stipulated time (I am unsure about the accuracy of the answers I gave for these questions).

Verbal was pretty much what I expected. My scaled score was as follows:

Q49,V39

I was pleasantly surprised to see a 49 in Quant. I was not expecting such a score after my dismal performance.

THanks to everyone at GMATClub. Please let me know if I could help any of you with any queries you might have.

-----------------------------------------------------------
'It's not the ride, it's the rider'

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: My Flight from 540 to 720 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 23:52
Hi GMBA85,

Firstly Congratulations on your excellent score.

I have a question in regards to Gmat Prep. I see your marks reflect your eventual score in the real exam which is a fantastic to see as it seemingly gives you a great gauge on how you are going. But when I attempted it last weekend I noticed that some of the questions in the verbal section(on my first trial) were directly from the OG11 book and I kind of felt my score was inflated. What did you feel?

If you also received some questions directly from OG 11 then how why is the Gprep score still similar to the real thing.

Cheers,

Sumi
Manager
Manager

Re: My Flight from 540 to 720 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 00:27
sumidi wrote:
Hi GMBA85,

Firstly Congratulations on your excellent score.

I have a question in regards to Gmat Prep. I see your marks reflect your eventual score in the real exam which is a fantastic to see as it seemingly gives you a great gauge on how you are going. But when I attempted it last weekend I noticed that some of the questions in the verbal section(on my first trial) were directly from the OG11 book and I kind of felt my score was inflated. What did you feel?

If you also received some questions directly from OG 11 then how why is the Gprep score still similar to the real thing.

Cheers,

Sumi

Hi,

A lot of my friends gave the GMAT with me. Some of them have the same opinion as you do. I'd suggest that you could try taking Manhattan. You could guage your level by adding 5 percent to the avg score you get on Manhattan - Manhattan's tougher than the real GMAT. This could be a countercheck and help you guage your level.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My Flight from 540 to 720 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 19:32
does manhattan always deflate your score?
Manager
Manager

Re: My Flight from 540 to 720 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 20:13
musicmba wrote:
does manhattan always deflate your score?

Generally speaking, it does deflate your score. Its tougher than the real GMAT.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Flight from 540 to 720 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 08:33
Congrats GMBA85 for a fabulous score.
Good luck for application and essay.
Which schools are you applying to?

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Manager
Manager

Re: My Flight from 540 to 720 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 08:42
subarao wrote:
Congrats GMBA85 for a fabulous score.
Good luck for application and essay.
Which schools are you applying to?

Hi Subarao,,
I spoke to a lot of experienced people and everyone has suggested me to gain more work-ex. I just hv 3 years of work ex as of now.

So i will not be applying this year.

Regards

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Flight from 540 to 720 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 08:56
Hi GMBA85,

I have purchased MGMAT CAT and after reading your post, I am wondering whether I should also buy 800score CATS.

From your post, I also noted that MGMAT CATs are more representative of GMAT. How do you rate 800Score CATs vis-a-vis MGMAT CATs and real GMAT?
Manager
Manager

Re: My Flight from 540 to 720 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 09:18
scthakur wrote:
Hi GMBA85,

I have purchased MGMAT CAT and after reading your post, I am wondering whether I should also buy 800score CATS.

From your post, I also noted that MGMAT CATs are more representative of GMAT. How do you rate 800Score CATs vis-a-vis MGMAT CATs and real GMAT?

I'd suggest MGMAT, GMAT PREP and GMATCLUB TESTS. These would give you enough practice across all type of questions and difficulty level.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Flight from 540 to 720 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2008, 05:18
Congrats for great score. I am struggling with verbal section and therefore final score is well below the standard score. I have secured a mere 25 in verbal and 44 in quant in my last attempt. Though I know that quant was not true reflection of my capability as I had lack of diligences in math prep. Verbal is real struggle for me for long time. I took MGMAT CAT test and the score in verbal were between 31 and 33 (all 6 tests). It seems that you also worked hard to increase your verbal score. I would definitely expect any suggestion you can provide from preparation perspective. Please mention any other activities you did to bring the score up.

Thanks.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Re: My Flight from 540 to 720   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2008, 05:18