Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 04:19
I am a not native English speaker, but pretty good at quants.

I initially took 1st GMAT prep test, and got 660 (49Q, 31V). It took me 1.5 months to prepare for the GMAT. A week before the actual exam, I took Kaplan test scored 690 (50Q, 35V) and 2nd GMAT prep test scored 730 (50Q, 38V).

So, I was pretty confident that I score at least 700+. Alas! Today I took official GMAT exam. The quant questions were way too difficult, then I expected. Confused with the quants section, I took a break and started verbal. I was feeling pretty good with verbal, the questions were quite simple and straightforward.

Then I clicked on the "report the score" button, closed my eyes, opened them and saw a miserable 600 (47Q, 26V). I couldn't believe my eyes. In a very depressing mood, I left the exam room. Cursed myself for overconfidence and boldness.

I was always good at quants, and during my GMAT preparations I usually made a couple of errors primarily due to negligence. Questions on the actual exam were in fact time eaters. Almost every question was 5-6 sentences long. Being a non-native speaker, SC was the weakest area, so I read MGMAT SC three times from cover to cover, and reduced my mistakes by 50%. I didn;t concentrate on CR and RC during preparation, cause I rarely made mistakes on those. So both my quants and verbal score are a mystery to me.

I know I still have time to sit for the next GMAT to be in time for the second round of applications deadline. But right know I feel exhausted, depressed and ashamed. :( . Also my car engine broke today, what a day!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 05:07
Sorry man. It happens to the best of us, just gird up your loins and shoot again. Did u do all the manhattan CATS? It seems pacing may have been a problem for you. I'll also recommend doing the GMAT club tests just to ensure your QUANT is rock solid going into the next exams.

Kudos if you like my post, thanks

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 06:26
Trust me; most of us know how you feel. But don't give up!!

Take a few days off from GMAT just to clear your mind, then go kill that beast again!!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 07:30
overconfidence kills ya... you gotta go in with a neutral mind so you dont get cocky while taking the test. make sure you use error logs on verbal and see what your weaknesses are

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 08:48
leave all past behind.....learn from your mistakes.....i am sure...its achievable......all the best ahead bro....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 09:24
dont lose heart.. u can beat it next time... as some said, identify the weakness n work on it.
Intern
Intern

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 00:13
Wow, this forum is the best psychotherapy!

Woke up today with a terrible hangover, read the posts that lightened up my day :-)

Ready to go for a second round this time to knockdown the GMAT!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 08:18
Give it all u've got! use good resources and take a ton of practice exams to reinforce the concepts, you'll be better prepared next go around

Kudos if you like my post, thanks

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9456 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 10:48
Expert's post
Wow, sorry to hear that. Yes, sometimes we do feel as though the world is crumbling around us or rather falling hard on our shoulders.
Take a look around, see the wind, sun, and birds - they keep going no matter what. In the grand scheme of things - it is just 2 nasty things (that happened to happen on the same day) - at least look at it that way, your Engine won't fail on you again any time soon and you already have a 660 on the GMAT - the only way is up!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 10:56
Well said bb...

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 14:12
kimakim wrote:
I am a not native English speaker, but pretty good at quants.

I initially took 1st GMAT prep test, and got 660 (49Q, 31V). It took me 1.5 months to prepare for the GMAT. A week before the actual exam, I took Kaplan test scored 690 (50Q, 35V) and 2nd GMAT prep test scored 730 (50Q, 38V).

So, I was pretty confident that I score at least 700+. Alas! Today I took official GMAT exam. The quant questions were way too difficult, then I expected. Confused with the quants section, I took a break and started verbal. I was feeling pretty good with verbal, the questions were quite simple and straightforward.

Then I clicked on the "report the score" button, closed my eyes, opened them and saw a miserable 600 (47Q, 26V). I couldn't believe my eyes. In a very depressing mood, I left the exam room. Cursed myself for overconfidence and boldness.

I was always good at quants, and during my GMAT preparations I usually made a couple of errors primarily due to negligence. Questions on the actual exam were in fact time eaters. Almost every question was 5-6 sentences long. Being a non-native speaker, SC was the weakest area, so I read MGMAT SC three times from cover to cover, and reduced my mistakes by 50%. I didn;t concentrate on CR and RC during preparation, cause I rarely made mistakes on those. So both my quants and verbal score are a mystery to me.

I know I still have time to sit for the next GMAT to be in time for the second round of applications deadline. But right know I feel exhausted, depressed and ashamed. :( . Also my car engine broke today, what a day!

My god man! It was not your day. Don't get bogged down. Take a week off and get back with renewed energy. Am sure you will do good looking at your GMATPrep scores. Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 02:40
OK, so today I sat the official GMAT the second time.

This time I scored 680 Q50 V31.

Well, again I am not satisfied, since Iduring preparation I scored over 700. This time my verbal was pretty low, although I usually score above V35, at least that was happened on MGMAT CATs.

So do you think I should apply with this score? I aiming at Stanford and Wharton. Here is my info:

1. I am from exotic country, 30 years old
2. Undegraduate from local university (economics) with distinction, MA Economics from UK university with distinction.
3. 6 years work experience, primarily in business. Including 4 years as a head of department.
4. I have some international experience primarily in EU. I have done a few projects in EU countries.
5. Completed a couple of not-for-profit educational projects for people living in rural areas.
6. Was engaged in volunteer work for orphans.

I pretty tired of GMAT, in addition I have to start prep for CFA level 3. So your advice would be more than welcomed :-)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 04:46
smuvern wrote:
Just gird up your loins and shoot again.

Amazing quote smuvern ! U kind of made my day. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

@kimakim: Well the above quote should you take the score with a pinch and move on !

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 02:08
kimakim wrote:
OK, so today I sat the official GMAT the second time.

This time I scored 680 Q50 V31.

Well, again I am not satisfied, since Iduring preparation I scored over 700. This time my verbal was pretty low, although I usually score above V35, at least that was happened on MGMAT CATs.

So do you think I should apply with this score? I aiming at Stanford and Wharton. Here is my info:

1. I am from exotic country, 30 years old
2. Undegraduate from local university (economics) with distinction, MA Economics from UK university with distinction.
3. 6 years work experience, primarily in business. Including 4 years as a head of department.
4. I have some international experience primarily in EU. I have done a few projects in EU countries.
5. Completed a couple of not-for-profit educational projects for people living in rural areas.
6. Was engaged in volunteer work for orphans.

I pretty tired of GMAT, in addition I have to start prep for CFA level 3. So your advice would be more than welcomed :-)

Congrats! glad to see that you got a better score on round 2. anything particular that you did to improve the verbal score?

thanks...

Click that thing :) - Give kudos if u like this

Intern
Intern

Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 04:53
OK, since there were a number of personal messages about my preparations I decided to put it here:

After I got a miserable 600, I realized my mistakes. I thought I would be able to trick the system. So I spent a LOT of time on first 10 question both on Quants and Verbal sections, to ensure that I got the right answer. I thought that if I nail first 10 and last 10 questions I surely get 700+. Since during the first questions CAT determines your ability and the last ten questions are usually never experimental and will give me a strong finish.

So during those 10 first questions I checked each answer three or four times, by solving the question straight, applying POE method, looking with left eye alone and right eye alone :-). As a result, I totally mismanaged my time and screwed up the whole exam. It appeared that after first 10 questions I had so little time left, so that it was impossible to solve other questions correctly.

This time, I ignored all the "strategies" and simply solved all the answers as quickly as possible, so i finished Quants with 10 minutes spare and Verbal with 15 or so minutes spare.

MGMAT CATs really helped me to beat the time management problems that I had. I would also like to point out on the explanations to the answers that MGMAT CAT provides. That what really helped me to identify my weak areas.

Besides MGMAT has a much harder Quants section, so the real GMAT quants was just a piece of cake.

BUT, Verbal section was really pain in the ... But, even on MGMAT I scored minimum 35 and max 40. So real GMAT verbal 30 is definitely well below my abilities. Perhaps I was too cocky after nailing my quants section.

Again I find MGMAT SC very very useful. Also MGMAT CAT explanations helped a lot to spot idioms, so that I never made the same mistake again. RC was always a good area for me. And I really didn't concentrate much on this. CR appeared to be problem. MGMAT CAT has some really difficult CRs. I mean it either the weird logic of test constructors, or my impaired logical abilities :-). I still don't understand some of the CRs from MGMAT CATs.

Today I received my AWA 5.5!

Well friends suggested me to score over 720 on real GMAT to have a chance be admitted to Stanford or Wharton. So, i ll probably give it another shot.

So again, do you think I have any chance be admitted with 680?
Re: My G-day turned out to be the Gowk day!   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2010, 04:53