Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT experience: 700(q50, v34)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

My GMAT experience: 700(q50, v34) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 05:03
Folks,

I have been around in the forum for some time. Yesterday I finally got admitted to the last school that I had applied. I would like to thank everyone in this forum and would like to return some favors. Instead of writing a debrief, I thought I will open it up for questions that anyone may have.

Here is a quick resume:

Profile: Male, German( with Indian origin) 30 yrs old, 5 yrs Job Ex from Hi Tech Industry; Good Engineering degree, BE and MS in Germany with top GPAs.
Crappy GMAT: 700(q50, v34); My practice test were 760 and 770. The verbal section in the real one was a conspiracy. I got 3 big reading passages and 1 small reading passage. I had never seen something like that before in all the mock tests I did. SC was also very difficult and long sentences. Not to mention, I got 3 bold faced CR questions. I cant really figure out what was going on. Ended up hurrying a lot in the end which is reflected in my screwed verbal score.

Applied to three school and got admitted in three: IESE, LBS and IMD.

I am ready to take any questions wrt GMAT or the admission process for the 3 schools mentioned above.

It has been quite a journey...now the whole thing with financing and relocating starts. But before that, two weeks of sunshine in Maldives island!

Cheers and best of luck!

Last edited by diddygmat on 17 May 2012, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: My GMAT and MBA admission process experience! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 00:08
Hi Diddy . First of all Many Congratulations on your Admit..!!

I also have the same score 700(Q49,V35) and I am planning to apply to a few schools. Can you please elaborate on the extra curricular you had. :-)

Also, can you let me know how you prepared for your essays. Any suggestions would help me a lot in preparing the essays.

My Profile -

Nationality - Indian
UG - NIT (One of the top ranking Institutes)
GPA - 3.2
Work ex - 5 Yrs - IT Industry
Extra - Won medals/certificates in Intercollegiate fests, certificates from swimming comp, Associated with an NGO that helps under privileged kids, Certificates/Awards from current as well as previous employers, Certificate of merit from current employer for Innovation/ Bright Idea implementation.

Any guidance would surely be helpful. Thanks :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: My GMAT and MBA admission process experience! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 02:33
chandan2003109 wrote:
Hi Diddy . First of all Many Congratulations on your Admit..!!

I also have the same score 700(Q49,V35) and I am planning to apply to a few schools. Can you please elaborate on the extra curricular you had. :-)

Also, can you let me know how you prepared for your essays. Any suggestions would help me a lot in preparing the essays.

My Profile -

Nationality - Indian
UG - NIT (One of the top ranking Institutes)
GPA - 3.2
Work ex - 5 Yrs - IT Industry
Extra - Won medals/certificates in Intercollegiate fests, certificates from swimming comp, Associated with an NGO that helps under privileged kids, Certificates/Awards from current as well as previous employers, Certificate of merit from current employer for Innovation/ Bright Idea implementation.

Any guidance would surely be helpful. Thanks :)

@chandan2003109,
I can say what worked for me; Also, remember I applied only to European MBA programs.

I think most of the schools wont worry too much about your GMAT(..atleast in Europe); Anything>= 700, GMAT is out of the way. looking at your profile, Essays will play very big role as you would need to differentiate yourself from a rather big pool of "Indian/IT". AFter going through the process, I am convinced that Nationality does matter. Explain why you are doing NGO work and what you have leaned. I myself dont have much of extra-carricular work; I do have strong career progression, salary hikes and university record.

I invested around 50 Hrs for my first essays to make it really compelling, emotional and story-lined. Tell a story that will stick! Make sure you explain why every step in you life till now was deliberate (..be creative :-)). A lot may also depend on how much international experience you have...

Best of luck!
Re: My GMAT and MBA admission process experience!   [#permalink] 17 May 2012, 02:33