Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT debrief - 760 ( Q51 V41 ). Updated AWA Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 8

My GMAT debrief - 760 ( Q51 V41 ). Updated AWA Score [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I dont know if there is a dedicated thread to post debrief, so I am just creating a new topic.

It is going to be a long post so sit back :D

I decided to sit for GMAT in June...Registered for it on 19th June and chose 19 th Aug as my exam date. Started with OG and completed it in 6 days. I found out that I need serious practice for CR and SC. I have always been good with RC and Maths. Gathered a lot of info on which books to follow for respective topics. Finally, downloaded POWERSCORE CR and bought Manhattan SC. Started with SC first and I must admit that I couldn't understand half of the rules stated in that book. So switched over to CR. Soon I realised that what a brilliant CR book POWERSCORE CR is. Finally there was a topic I felt confident about. Till now I had made no notes. Then I came across GMATCLUB and was jus just exploring the site when I came across BUNNEL's posts. Out of nowhere I started practising maths questions. I fell in love with his math's knowledge. I tried to solve questions from his collection '700+ Questions' but could only get 50% of them right, and I used to think I was good at maths. I dont know for how many days I just practiced maths questions and came to my senses when I realized that my exam date is only 15 days away. I had not taken any practice test till now. So I downloaded GMATPREP and took 1 practice test. I scored 730 in it and this made me feel a bit confident. Then I started practising SC questions on this site and my accuracy started increasing gradually. Took another GMATPREP test and scored 740. By now I was feeling confident about my preparation. I knew I could achieve my target of 730 if I persevere for 10 more days. Finally started making notes so that I can refer to them during the last phase of my preperation. My gmat was now 4 days away. Next two days were sat and sun, so I had a lot of time. Took a leave from office for Monday. I bought the GMATPREP pack of 2 extra tests. Took first one on sunday and scored 750. Against the advise of a lot of my friends, I went to a club at night to keep myself calm. Woke up next morning and took the second test and scored even better this time - 770 . I was jsut blushing. Decided to study a bit for AWA as well and came across the brilliant template by chineseburn ( I hope I spelled his name correct ). Again Went to a bar for a couple of drinks. Next day was THE DAY. I reached my exam center 45 minutes early and the entire process was smooth.

First was the AWA section. I literally copied the above-mentioned template and just finished my analysis on time. Though I didnt get time to go through what I had written so it might have some grammatical mistakes. Next came the IR section and I didnt know that I was going to commit the biggest blunder of my life in this section. I spent 8 minutes on the first question itself. As a result I could just attempt 10 questions. I was devastated. I had decided not to take any breaks because I am used to sitting for long exams ( I have cleared CFA Level 3 and it is one hell of a long exam ) . But after such a shameful performance, I decided to utilise the first break. I just calmed myself down so that I dont screw up Maths and Verbal because of this blunder. Finally started with the Maths section. I found the initial questions to be quite simple but got stuck on a question yet again - question number 10. Wasted 4 minutes but atleast got the correct answer. Somewhere around question number 20, I found questions of high difficulty level. I was happy considering that I might be doing well. But then the questions in the end were too simple and I got worried that maybe I screwed up in the middle. Anyways finished the section 4 minutes earlier and utilised the second break as well because I had to use the washroom.

Verbal was never my strong area but I was confident about it after the prep tests. Started the section on a good note but this happiness was shortlived because I got one of the toughest RC I could imagine and wasted a lot of time. After that the questions kept on getting trickier and I was just mentally tired. I looked at the clock and got the biggest shock. Only 14 minutes were remaining and I was yet to answer 12 questions. I tried to spped up but questions kept on getting more difficult ( it was a good sign in one way ). Finally I had 4 minutes to go and 5 questions to answer. I could only answer 3 of them and could not attempt the last two ( second blunder of the day after IR ). I was just stunned and at the same time was angry with myself. But then came the magical numbers. And I could not believe that I managed to score 760( Q51 V41 ) after such a horrible performance. :twisted: :twisted: I was just way too happy. My only concern is the low IR SCORE ( 6/10 , 70 percentile ).

ADVISE FOR GMAT TAKERS
1) Find out your own preparation strategy. Dont blindly follow someone else's strategy
2) practice a lot. That is the only way to get a hold of the imp concepts
3) follow Bunnel's posts religiously. He is the god of maths.
4) Manage your time effectively during the exam.

PS: I am still contemplating on whether to retake the gmat because of my IR score or not. If anyone can advise me on this, I will be more than gREATFUL.

All the best to all of you. :)

UPDATE : Got my AWA score yesterday. I scored 5.5. This clearly shows that the template I mentioned above is an excellent one. Though I could write only 2 paragraphs instead of 3 mentioned in the template, I still managed to get 5.5. So please definitely go through that template.

It is not over untill you stop trying

Mock Test Scores :
GMAT Prep 1 : 730 Q50 V39
GMAT Prep 2 : 740 Q49 V41

Last edited by riteshchopra2005 on 23 Aug 2014, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 20

Re: My GMAT debrief - 760 ( Q51 V41 ). Updated AWA Score [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 20:49
Congrats Ritesh! That's a great score and sectional split. All the best for the applications now! :)

Consider giving KUDOS if you found the post helpful. :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My GMAT debrief - 760 ( Q51 V41 ). Updated AWA Score [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 09:41
Congrats for the exceptional score.

Can you share the link to bunnel's posts?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 15

Re: My GMAT debrief - 760 ( Q51 V41 ). Updated AWA Score [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 09:59
congrats on the great score. ATB for apps.
I dont think you should take GMAT again. The data is very limited right now to relate IR performance with success in school
Also usually the 800 score bit is more important because it is used in school rankings. Beside incase you score even 10 points lower on the 800 part, the adcomm is really gonna look at it negatively

while(1) { "I Love GMAT" . "I Hate GMAT" } .. BREAK .. Thank god this is over, but now I miss it!!
My Debrief - Broken Shackles 600-750 http://gmatclub.com/forum/broken-shackles-600-to-170870.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: My GMAT debrief - 760 ( Q51 V41 ). Updated AWA Score [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 06:10
rohanGmat wrote:
congrats on the great score. ATB for apps.
I dont think you should take GMAT again. The data is very limited right now to relate IR performance with success in school
Also usually the 800 score bit is more important because it is used in school rankings. Beside incase you score even 10 points lower on the 800 part, the adcomm is really gonna look at it negatively

Thanks a lot for the advise Rohan. I got same feedback from a couple of other people I spoke to. So I have decided not to retake.
But I wont be applying for MBA. I will be applying for MFIN and hence I was confused because IR is indirectly related to maths and thus schools might take IR score into consideration. But I am ready to take a chance for now.

All the best for your applications.

Mock Test Scores :

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: My GMAT debrief - 760 ( Q51 V41 ). Updated AWA Score [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 06:12
ankitgupta1990 wrote:
Congrats for the exceptional score.

Can you share the link to bunnel's posts?

there are way too many forums of bunnel. Just search '100 difficult questions PS' and you will be able to locate his posts

Mock Test Scores :

Re: My GMAT debrief - 760 ( Q51 V41 ). Updated AWA Score   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2014, 06:12