Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Gmat Experience - 24/9/2012

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
WE: Research (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

My Gmat Experience - 24/9/2012 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 06:00
Hi guys ,
I got a 740 today . Q50 V39 . Had a good experience overall.

I didnt have to work hard for Math , i m pretty good at it .

Verbal was quite challenging and at one point of time i had 24 q's remaining and 35 min of time... ( i spent about 5 min of my time on the first question , checking and rechecking !! - totally unnecessary though ) . Thankfully RC's came to my rescue, and i zoomed past them to cover the lag .
CR questions seemed okay , i was able to prephrase the answers most of the time .

Unfortunately SC was not that easy . I panicked and rechecked each answer option several times (throwing away all strategies i had prepared ... )
When there was about 25 min left, i somehow got back control (or maybe made some mistakes that caused the test to be easier)
And by the time I was in the last question, i had 3 min left (what a relief !).

This forum was the first place where i searched for GMAT reference books , and took the advice from here seriously. I only prepared Manhattan GMAT RC,SC,CR , Powerscore CR , and Aristotle SC. 2 months prep time . At the end of the prep, i found that i could have done even without Manhattan SC , as Aristotle was more appealing and easier to remember. i made notes of Powerscore CR question types and did a lot of fancy stuff hanging them here and there... Ultimately, i didnt use any of those techniques either. But all credits to powerscore CR, i realised all the places where i was making mistakes...

P.s 1:
My office gets over at 5.30 and everybody in my team leaves by then. i used to read daily from evening 5.45pm to 9pm , and then travel for 1 hr (any other schedule - and i would get tired by the time i reached home ) . weekends were strictly GMAT free , i couldn't bring myself to read 7 days of the week.

P.s 2: I had already decided that i would apply for the big 5 schools , even if i have to wait for some time . I chose to send my scores to MIT,Harvard,Kellog,Wharton and Stanford .
I know, one thing i didnt do properly in preparing for the GMAT was to research about schools. Even at the last moment , i was expecting exorbitantly high scores :P (I took several free mocks - sometimes full length, sometimes sectional finally in the last week of prep , got scores ranging from 700 to 760 )

I might need lots of advice on "Shining my profile", maybe..
(i'll be searching in the forums, but a little help from you would be appreciated greatly !) .

(Going for a small party , will be back soon :-D )
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
My Gmat Experience - 24/9/2012   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2012, 06:00