Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT experience... 750

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My GMAT experience... 750 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2006, 00:16
First of all a quick intro. I have been a mute spectator of this forum. Due to scarcity of time, I couldn't devote much time to participate in the discussions. None the less, I was a frequent visitor to the "verbal questions" section, looking for a new concept on GMAT English usage or new posts with challenging problems.

I took my gmat a few hours ago and unofficial scores are:
Q 50 95%
V 42 93%
Overall 750 98%

AWA pending!

The exam:

I hadn't practiced much for AWA. So I was a bit nervous before the exam thinking that I may blank out after looking at the topic, mainly on the analysis of an issue. However, essay topics that appeared for me were quite reasonable. I was able to come up with many good ideas within a few minutes.

Quant and verbal were like a roller coaster ride. Both started off slow. Quant was much slower than any of my practice sessions. As a result, I tried to rush off in the begining and must have gotten a few wrong then. This was not a wise decision. Ended up with Quant 5 minutes before the end time. In other words, I wasted 5 minutes.

Verbal was similar. Slow in the begining. This used to be case in my practice tests also. Often, I used to make up the lost time in RCs by reading the passage carefully once (may take notes) and selecting the answer to most questions without looking at the passage again. I retored to same approach in the exam. The approach worked out okay. I finished a few seconds before the timer ran out.

Overall, I am not too impressed with my score. Primarily, because it is on the lower side of my recent practice scores. And I know that I should not have wasted those 5 minutes in quant. That could have easily cost me 10 points (and pushed me down to 98%). Having said that, it is a pretty decent score and I do not plan to take the exam again.

Preparation:
Started about six weeks back. Looked at the following books in cronological order:
1. Princeton Cracking
2. Kaplan verbal
3. Kaplan Premier program
4. OG 11 Verbal edition
5. Manhatten SC
6. OG 11
7. Kaplan 800 (SC section only)
8. ARCO answers to the real essay questions

I realized that I was most weak at SC, so focused on that early on. Then started focusing on RC and CR.

Study time: It began with about an hour on weekdays and a couple of hours on weekends. Friday was a no study day. However, by the fourth week and after a few miserable attempts at PRonline CAT, I had to increase my study time to about 2 hours on weekdays and 4-5 on weekends. This was the most I could spare between my full-time job and personal commitments.

Last few days were quite overwhelming. There were too many things left for the last minute and too little time to do them. I would have postponed the exam had it not been for a pending three week trip which begins tomorrow.

A sincere advise: If you are not a very disciplined person, try to finish your preparation atleast three days before the actual exam. This time cushion is very important to keep yourself cool towards the end.

Scores from practice tests :
9/17 PR online 1: 620
9/23 PR online 2: 640
9/28 PR online 3: 730
10/6 GMAT Prep 1: 760
10/9 Kaplan CAT 1: 640
10/9 Kaplan CAT 2: 630 (now I gave up on Kaplan)
10/12 PowerPrep 1: 770
10/13 PowerPrep 2: 760
10/14 GMAT Prep 2: 770

I had planned to take the last Princeton CAT on 10/15, but never got around to it.

Kaplan was insame. I gave up on Kaplan after two tests because I was always attempting the last 15 questions in 15 mintues. And, Kaplan scores were demoralizing too.

What I should have done better:
1. Taken more tests besides Kaplan, PowerPrep and GMATPrep that contains difficult problems in quantitative too. PR online were much easier than real GMAT. Powerprep and GMATPrep do not help much because one has already looked that most of the questions in OG.
2. Should have started early on AWA preparation early (say one hour a week from the begining). One of my major worry towards the end was AWA.
3. Kept more time for preparation. Gone through DS and PS in kaplan 800.

That is all for step 1. Step 2, namely apping, begins three weeks from now.

In the end, I would like to thank one of my colleagues for advising me during the prepartion and for pointing me to this forum. And many thanks to all the active members of the forum for posting interesting problems and discussing them in detail.

Long day. Time to hit the bed!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2006, 04:18
Wow! Let me be the first to congratulate you!!!!

Very impressive score.Thanks for sharing your strategy with us. Good luck for the apps :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2006, 05:06
Awesome score! Congratulations and have fun on your vacation :-D

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your wayâ€

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2006, 07:01
Congratulations !!! Gr8 score
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2.5 yrs in manufacturing

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2006, 13:52
Awesome score..by the way u made it sound so easy...u luk like a high high IQ candidate...

Congraaats on ur gr8 score....

ARISE AWAKE AND REST NOT UNTIL THE GOAL IS ACHIEVED

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2006, 06:22
Excellent Score. It's amazing you got this kind of score with just 6 wks preparation and max 1-2 hrs on weekdays and 4-5 hrs on weekends. Hats off to you.

Regards

Subhen

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 13:10
CONGRAT!! This is a great score.

Nowadays, 750+ score seems a decent score instead of a AWESOME score.
More pressure on people who just wish to break into 700... hahaha.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1514 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 16:49

Here you go!
  [#permalink] 31 Oct 2006, 16:49