Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 14:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

my GMAT experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

my GMAT experience [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2007, 03:08
hi everybody,

i quickly want to share my GMAT experience. I took the exam yesterday and scored 680 (Q44/V38, 89th percentile). i think the result fairly reflects my current knowledge and level of preparation.

how did i prepare?

it is important to mention that i faced an enormous time pressure. i had exactly 22 days to prepare, without knowing anything about the GMAT before. For my preparation i used the the GMATPrep, the Kaplan book (the newest edition), GMATClub.com and the 1000 CRs, DSs, a s.o. (Barron's book sucks)
i never had problems with maths and always scored above 42 on this section. in contrast, i was never able to score more than 40 on the Verbal part (i'm not a native speaker). during my preparation i kept an error log, which proved helpful in identifying my mistakes. i also did some CATs, and the highest i scored was 690 (Q49/V35). it was clear that the Verbal part was my Achilles' heel. In spite of that, i should admit that i didnt put much effort in learning the CR questions (my greatest weakness). SC was easy for me-i'm really good in finding gramatical mistakes (except for my own).

The exam day...

...was bad. i had to sleep at a friend's place the previous night. i couldnt really sleep, cause i was dreaming some fractions and factorials, the bed was uncomfortable and it was f*ckin' cold there. i also didnt eat much on the day of the exam (DO NOT repeat my mistke). Everything i had was a chocolate and two Red Bulls. Once i arrived at the test center, i felt that my stomach doesnt share my enthusiasm about the exam. Anyway, i started...
the interface of the real exam is one-to-one similar with the one of the GMATPrep. i felt comfortable with the navigation and everything. AWA was easy-standard topics, enough time. the analysis of an issue followed the familiar model-a general conclusion based on a single company's experience.
Second part was tricky. i knew that the first 10-15 questions are vital and decided to spend some more time there. however, after the 5th question, the computer started bombing me with difficult questions (combinations, factorials and the like) . i did most of them correctly, but lost a lot of time. As a result i had to intuitively answer the last 3-4 questions without seriously analysing all the answers. i am now sure that these final questions costed me 2-3 points from the Qauntitative section score.
Then i took the break. i had another Red Bull, but it didnt help-i was tired from the math problems.
Afterwards came the worst-the Verbal part. the SC questions were easy, and so were the texts of the RCs. The CR questions were horrible-i'm not sure whether i answered a single one correctly. at the end i didnt care much and guessed the last 2 questions (which i now consider a mistake).
At this point i expected a result in the range 550-600. Once I saw the result i felt relieved. The long hours of studying and the 300$ investment both paid off. now i am absolutely sure that with couple of months of preparation i can easily score more than 750.

in conclusion i want so summarize my mistakes. maybe you, who read this text could benefit from my weaknesses.
-although i knew that the Verbal part was my problem, i didnt really study hard to improve my results there. this is especially true about the CR questions.
-i didnt eat before the exam and was therefore very tired after the second section.
-i spent too much time on the first 15 quantitative questions.

So, i tell all of you, my friends-impossible is nothing! GMAT either :)

peter

Last edited by ppetkov on 22 Mar 2007, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2007, 03:30
Congratulations . !!!

That is a good score and you did it .
680 is a very respected score, no matter what school you apply to.

Now just relax and enjoy it :D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2007, 04:46
10x Mishari

i forgot to express my gratitude to all the GMATClub members who helped me. Thanks, guys!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2007, 05:52
22 days of preparation and 680! :shock:
With more preparation, food and better sleep :wink: I'm sure you'll get 750+ the next time.

Thank you for your advices.

"-i spent too much time on the first 15 quantitative questions."

I shall never forget this one. :)
  [#permalink] 22 Mar 2007, 05:52