Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Experience - 640 (Need your help!)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

My GMAT Experience - 640 (Need your help!) [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 10:23
Hi All,

I've been an onlooker in all the forums now, but I decided to post my experience here because I desperately need your help. I come from an Engineering background and currently work in Finance as a trader. I took my GMAT yesterday (for the second time), and got a 640. My journey is below:

March-Oct '12
I bought all 8 MGMAT books (4th edition) and went through each and every book slowly (spent about a 3 wks to a month on each of them). I figured I should get all my basics and concepts straight before I attempt any practice tests. After studying MGMAT, I signed up for the GMAT on Oct. '12. I started taking all the MGMAT CATs, and found the Quant to be very time consuming (although not overly difficult). I took the GMATPreps as well before giving the real test.

GMATPrep 1 - 650 (don't remember breakdown, but something like Q 47 V 34)
GMATPrep 2 - 710 (Q50 V 35)

GMAT Attempt 1:
I was feeling confident, went into the test, and started doing the essay. Then came IR - I got some really confusing logic games questions on this section (like the LSAT), and ended up running out of time, and I think my mind was mentally derailed. Then on Quant, I had HORRIBLE time management...on question 8 or something, I spent 5 mins on it and couldn't get the right answer (even though I needed to do it). Ultimately, I had 20 questions left with 15 mins...and realized that the test was going nowhere, so I ended up canceling my score.

Oct - Jan '13
To improve on my math test taking skills, I signed up for GMAT Club tests. They're very helpful, as they made me think about the corner cases for each problem. However, timing wise, they weren't so helpful. Ultimately, to aid in my timing, I just realized I had to randomly guess on a few questions while taking CATs. Since Verbal is my weak point, I made it a point this time to go through every verbal material I could find - OG 13, CR problems from GMAT Club forums, etc. I tried to stay away from other test prep company material, as it wasn't very reflective of the real test (I took MGMAT's CATs earlier). I also went through Powerscore CR. Toward the end, I realized that I was pretty decent at Verbal, scoring 38+ on all the practice tests I took. Anyway, in January, I pretty much locked myself down and all I did was GMAT (once again).

GMAT Attempt 2:
I took the test again in late February. I think I aced the essay and IR sections this time (expecting perfect scores on those), and did decently in Math (Q 49). However, my Verbal was absolutely disastrous (V 27). I was shocked and somewhat depressed, because I had really given it my best. I know for a fact that the score there does not reflect my capability! For some reason, I had a very hard time concentrating in the Verbal portion of the test - my mind wandered, songs were stuck in my head, and each sentence I kept reading was simply gibberish at some times. Looking back, I think I was just burnt out by the Verbal section.

Anyway, I plan on taking the GMAT again in a couple of months, and this may be my last shot. I am really aiming for a 720+ score, and I need to raise my verbal score at least by 10 points. However, I have exhausted EVERYTHING! MGMAT, GMATPrep, OG, Verbal Review. What other (good) materials can I use? Please help! I was thinking of getting the LSAT test prep materials for CR and RC, but didn't know what to do for SC. And to prep for stamina, I may sign up for Kaplan's CATs, which they allow you to take at a test center. I am also going to start meditating, so I am able to focus myself and not burn out.

I'm so tired of the GMAT, I've been doing this for almost a year! I really think though, that I can get above a V40 - I just need to not burn out and be able to concentrate on Verbal.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Experience - 640 (Need your help!) [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 11:07
I had a somewhat similar experience with verbal, in that I knew that I under performed.

1.) Build stamina: Take full length tests with AWA and IR. Do questions in a bunch of 10-20 (according to the difficulty level).
2.) Re-read the official 'explanations' carefully. Each option, Whether correct or incorrect.
3.) Yo haven't mentioned the question pack. I'd buy that from mba.com
4.) LSAT CRs might be a good option only after you feel you have attained a certain level of comfort.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Re: My GMAT Experience - 640 (Need your help!)   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2013, 11:07