Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:03

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa) [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2008, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
My Gmat Experience 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 AWA)

Hi everybody. I wanted to share my gmat experience with everyone since reading other peoples posts helped me quite a bit in my prep. To start off with, I was very dissapointed with my score as I was shooting for around a 720. My verbal was quite dissappointing since I usually score in the 40-42 range on practice tests. Really, I think I faltered because I was feeling under the weather and just didn't have the endurance by the time I got to the verbal section. Hopefully my awa will help to offset the low verbal (anybody think it will?). Anyway, I think the 680 should be good enough at this stage.

I just wanted to share my study prep and what I think should be done to obtain a good score. The gmat is a difficult test and thorough understanding of fundamanentals is important.

1. I started with princeton review to get a basic understanding of the gmat and the questions. I did all the bins and got a decent understanding of the test. I would recommend using the princeton review - pretty decent. I also looked at the Kaplan book but didn't like it.

2. The next thing to study is the OG 11, OG verbal and OG quant. Do all those problems. It is true that alot of them are easy, but learning the concepts is important. I am an engineer with strong math skills, but I've been out of school for ~10 years and really needed to relearn alot of basic concepts. Most of the concepts on the test people don't use in their daily lives. I highly recommend doing all the problems.

3. Do many of the GMAT challenges (http://gmatclub.com/wiki/Tests) and learn from your mistakes. I think these challenges also helped me go from 42 to 48 level.

4. I bought a few of the Manahattan books. The SC was pretty good, I would recommend it. The most useful book was the numbers properties book. I would highly recommend that book. Its short and you can go through it in a day.

5. Lastly, after you have gone through the rest of the material and kept a log of your wrong answers and reviewed them, start the GMAT Prep. If you have the time, devote the last 3 weeks of your prep to solely the GMAT Prep. Take them over and over again. Don't worry about the repeats - they will help you get harder problems. I think this is a very important step since I think people don't give it enough time to review. Review ALL the problems that you get wrong on this test and will help your speed on the real test.

I think that study prep is pretty much all you need. I looked at a bunch of other books as well such as Kaplan 800, some MGMATs and a few others. It was a waste of time for me. Stick to the basics and don't overload yourself. Again, a bit dissapointed that I didn't reach 700, but hopefully everything works out.

Good luck to all!

Last edited by asharc on 16 Apr 2008, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: My experience; 680 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2008, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
congrats dude....All the best for your applications!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa) [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 06:00
This post received
KUDOS
HI;

I am also out of school for 10 yrs and planning to appear for gmat.
Ques: How much time did you use for preparation?

I am currentkyy rreading Kaplan GMAT 800. You commmented it to be waste of time.
Ques: Is it really so off target from actual GMAT?

Thanks,
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2008, 04:12
abhaypratapsingh,

I prepared for about 3 months. I think 3-4 months is sufficient for anyone. I could only spend an hr or so on weeknights, a few more hours on the weekends.

Kaplan800 is a good book with good questions, but I say it is a waste, because if you've reviewed all the official materials and done the gmat challenges, it doesn't really add much. I would recommend do the GmatOG Guides (all three), then do the number properties and number inequalties books in Manhattan Gmat, the gmat challenges and then the last 3 weeks on the Gmat Prep and this forum.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2008, 20:04
thanks buddy !!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa) [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats Asharc,
680 is a very good score. SInce you were aiming for 720- are you planning on taking it again? If so, good for you! If not, good for you! As important as GMAT is, keep in mind that its only one piece of the puzzle ( aka apps). btw- what schools are you applying to?
Manager
Manager

Re: My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa) [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 06:27
Thanks Columbia dream. I am not planning on taking the exam again as I don't really have the time to devote to the amount of studying needed for the gmat currently. I am applying for part time programs since I have about 10 years of work experience and looking to boost my career. I have applied to Rutgers Business School and have been accepted. I just sent in my application to NYU Stern for the langone program which would be my number one choice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa) [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 09:15
Wish you all the best!
Manager
Manager

Re: My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa) [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 07:27
Just another quick note. I did alot of practice tests, but never with the awa and I think that affected my verbal score since I was just too tired to concentrate by the end. The wierd thing is when I took the test, I thought I bombed the quant and aced the verbal. When I saw my breakdown I was shocked.

As for the awa, I just used the princeton review templates. I didn't study more than 1 hr for that section. The best advice is to have 4-5 paragraphs and write as much as possible.
Re: My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa)   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2008, 07:27