Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Experience - 660

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

My GMAT Experience - 660 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 16:03
This post received
KUDOS
Folks

I gave my GMAT today and I made 660 (49Q, 32V). I wanted to thank you all folks that have contributed to the gmat club. The gmat club in general helped me prepare myself for the day of the test (get there early,start early, carry protein bars, liquids with high caffeine content, take the 2 breaks etc) and with math basics (and I took 4 gmat club math tests) in areas that probably added 2 -5 points to my overall score that I may/would have missed out on. Thanks again folks.

I took the GMAT too easy, prepared for about 4 weeks, never took a test without having atleast a beer (which I am not really proud of BTW, but my folks were out and I had to have a good time:)). I was looking to make a 700 to be able to get into one of the Chicago Schools where I live and work. Below is my 2 cents, please dont bother reading if you already have given the GMAT and made over 700 or you are preparing for months for the GMAT or you are taking it real serious. If you are taking it a little easy and trying to just make enough to get into the 700s or so maybe my posting will help you do what I couldnt this time around.

- I studied in a strange way, did a test if I wanted to, studied the basics if I wanted to or whatever. My recommendation is to get to math basics first, not from GMAT books but from math books and also some basics on the gmat club are good too. I would spend about 10-20 hours on them. To me, math is fun (my score isnt really reflective of that); so I didnt mind doing all OG PS and DS, Princeton, Kaplan etc and in addition I did only 4 gmat club math tests. I would recommend doing more of gmat club tests (atleast 10). Keeping track of mistakes -? I dont know about that. Keeping track of weak areas is a good idea according to me. Keeping track of every q may help you get to 51 but I thought with a 50Q, 35V I would still get over a 700 (which I didnt though)

- Verbal - I was weak in SC. I tried the Manhattan SC but I dont think I did all that well even with the help of that book so I cant help you there. But if you are weak in SC, it will be real difficult to get a 700 without improving (I couldnt). But again with a 50 in V, and excellent CR, RC and weak SC you can still easily make 700 though.

- GMAT Prep multiple takes - I took both the GMAT preps twice. I was frustrated with the repeat questions (I scored 660, 710 & 650, 720) and my scores were close so maybe I got the same questions over and over again; but it was frustrating. I recommend getting MGMAT (I did one free online an I found interesting) early on and go the GMAT prep only the last week.

- GMAT Prep comparison to real GMAT - I think the look and feel is pretty close but the questions in my math section were much more difficult. Dont know why. I would defer this to others in the forum who somehow seem to know more about the tests.

-Simulation test scores' compared to real GMAT - For me I got 580, 650, 660 (Princeton), 650, 660 (GMAT Prep), 710, 720 (GMAT Reatakes), 710 (MGMAT) in the chronological order and 660 on the real GMAT. For me it is kinda close although I thought I was doing better in the last week (retakes are a bad indicator I guess, but for me with the frustration due to repeat questions I thought it was a pretty good indicator).

I live and work in Chicago and I will be app'ing to schools in Chicago and I think I will continue to use the forum.

Thanks again to you guys, you guys are nerds but you rock!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Experience - 660 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 19:57
gmatcat20082009,
The score is not bad at all considering your preparation. Man if you would have put some more effort for SC probably you could have joined 700 club. Now if you want to go the best bschool of chicago then you have to appear for the exam and hit 700. I suggest you put more effort for the next time and I am sure you will come out with flying colors.
Good luck man

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: My GMAT Experience - 660 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 20:15
Nice. Good work, man.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: My GMAT Experience - 660 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 11:20
Guys,

Thanks for the posts. I really curse myself for not putting in the extra effort on the SC's. I guess I am going to try to app to GSB and Kellogg and see how things go. People tell me with exceptional essays, recommendation letters from Officers of the company, this GMAT score, good GPA, I may be able to get in. I am app'ing for part time which may be a little easier to get in. I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Experience - 660 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 11:56
I would recommend that if you have time (only if it doesn't take away time from your applications), I would try to retake the exam again. Sentence correction is a pain, but I strongly believe it's the easiest area to improve in vs. CR and RC. Practice the SC1000 inside out, and you will see a huge improvement in your SC scores.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: My GMAT Experience - 660 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 22:02
Ah, its been a while... just wanted to give you guys an update - I got into Kellogg for the winter quarter. Maybe I will see some of you folks out there.
Re: My GMAT Experience - 660   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2009, 22:02