Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [5] , given: 3

Reviews Badge
My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone!

I just took my GMATs this morning, and wanted to share my experience. This forum was incredibly helpful for me, so I want to ‘pay it forward’ (even though I hate that expression and thought the movie was silly).

Study Plan (6 weeks to test date)

When I first set out to study for the GMATs, I was shooting to apply Round 1 for all of my schools. As such, I adjusted my study plan accordingly. I used the Manhattan GMAT Self-Study Guide (purchased from mgmat for $480) and followed their curriculum. This approach was hugely beneficial for me. This Study Plan came with a detailed day-by-day study guide—which chapters to read each day, which problems to do each day—which kept me on track. The plan is designed for 9 weeks of study. I condensed it down to 6 weeks. What this meant was that I would do two days worth of studying for each day. On top of working a 9-5 job. On weekends, I was logging in 6 hours each day (to make up any of the problems I didn’t get to during the week). (And in case you were wondering, yes, I wasn’t much fun to be around this last month. And yes, I ate crappy food all the time. )

I’d like to backtrack for a moment and say that once I got my MGMAT materials, I took an initial MGMAT CAT exam to see how I’d do. At this point, I was only vaguely familiar with the GMAT content, and just needed to know where I stood. I scored a 580—I am horrible at math.

Anyways, one of the nice things about the MGMAT Self Study approach is that throughout the 9 (or 6 weeks), you end up doing most of the OG problems in the book. And, included an OG tracker in Excel, so I was able to track my answers, timing, and get a detailed analysis of my weak spots. It really broke it down for me—I can’t say enough about how helpful it is.

So, here's how I did on my MGMAT CAT exams

CAT Exam 1: 580 (before I started the curriculum)
CAT Exam 2: 600 (3 weeks into the curriculum)
CAT Exam 3: 650 (5 weeks into the curriculum)

(1.5 weeks to test date)

Since I had finished the MGMAT curriculum, I used the 1.5 weeks to go over material that really confused me. Combinatorics and Statistics were still confusing to me, so I did extra problems on these. I also read a lot, just to get my reading comprehension up a bit more. Could I have done more this last week and a half? Probably. Especially since I spent 4 days in Las Vegas (losing money) during this time. But! To give myself props, I did bring my OG book with me, and a list of OG problems and studied there for about 3 hours a day. Cuz really, who has the money to gamble the entire time you’re in Vegas? I (apparently) don’t.

(Day before test date)

Looking through my OG tracker, I knew I had to work on timing during the test. One of the online labs that’s included in the MGMAT curriculum walks you through targeted timing strategies for each section, and it was very helpful. I fell behind during the Quant this morning, and knew it, so I was able to make a few educated guesses and catch back up. Without knowing the timing breakdown, I’m not sure I would have had the mental capacity to keep track of the recommended 2 minutes/question for Quant and 90 seconds/question for SC.

I also reviewed a few more key concepts and went to bed super early.

(Day of testing)

Thanks to this forum, I knew I should pack some mind-snacks for the day of. So, if you’re a coffee/caffeine addict like me, you’ll definitely want to make sure you have a Red Bull or something in your locker. My poison was the Starbucks Double Shot espresso drink. I drank one during the ride to the test center and kept another one in the locker. During the breaks, I would drink some for a pick me up.

I’m not sure where I read this, but I also knew to use the breaks as an opportunity to get a new notepad, instead of waiting for my notepad to fill up during the exam. This saved a lot of anxiety for me, since waiting for a new notepad during a section could be time consuming.

Before I knew it, the GMAT was over and I was doing a silent prayer before I hit ‘report scores.’ I closed my eyes, put my head down on the table… and when I looked back up, I saw that I got a 700.

I feel pretty good about my score. I’ve read the re-taking the GMAT conversation, and understand that I’ve got a pretty good score. But, as a runner—I’m always trying to set PR for myself. Awful, yes? I know at this point, I should really focus on my applications and make sure I’m representing myself well for Round 2. Right? RIGHT?!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 21:09
Congrats man! Excellent discipline
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 21:18
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9399 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 22:21
Expert's post
Thank you for the debrief and very good formatting!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 04:10
congrats!!! hardwork n discipline pay off...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 07:38
woohoo!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 08:57
Congrats!

Kudos if you like my post, thanks

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 19:13
That's motivation!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 04:33
Hey congrats man! could you please throw some more light on Og tracker? sorry for sounding dumb!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 07:42
Amazing! Congratulations, you definitely inspired me!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 09:59
Congrats. 700 is a score I'd be happy with too! :)
1 Question :
You used only OG12 + MGMAT book set for prep ? anything else you armed yourself with ?

ta!
Shiva
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 10:40
excellent you break into 700 club league....:)

best of luck for apps.

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 03:30
Congrats...
All the best for your Apps

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 13:56
shivashetty wrote:
Congrats. 700 is a score I'd be happy with too! :)
1 Question :
You used only OG12 + MGMAT book set for prep ? anything else you armed yourself with ?

ta!
Shiva

Hi Shiva!

Thanks for the kind words.

To answer your question, yes, I only used the OG12 and the entire MGMAT book set for prep.
Since I purchased all my materials from MGMAT (I purchased their self-guided study plan), I was allowed access to 9 online labs and 6 CAT exams. All of these items definitely helped a lot. In terms of other things I armed myself with, I would say that I had a steady diet of caffeine during those 6 weeks. Somehow, reading about reading comprehension always put me to sleep. But, that could just be me.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 14:04
bharatprasanna wrote:
Hey congrats man! could you please throw some more light on Og tracker? sorry for sounding dumb!

Hi!

The OG tracker I used is very similar to the one that the GMAT club provides (gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-12th-ed-85956.html?highlight=ml517)

Basically, it's an excel document that supplements the "Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12 edition", that allows you to track all of your answers to the problems in the book. The one that I used was provided by MGMAT, and had a column for me to write in the answer choices I came up with for the problems, and also log the time it took for me to answer it. The document also categorized all the problems (ie Ratios, Statistics, Sentence Correction--Pronouns), so that when I reviewed all the answers I got wrong, I could easily see which areas I was a) taking the longest time in and b) sucking the most at. This really allowed me to do targeted studying during the last few weeks.

Hope this answer helped!

-n
Re: My GMAT experience | A Self-Guided Study approach   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2010, 14:04