Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Experience. a verbal nightmare

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
My GMAT Experience. a verbal nightmare [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 17:02
Hi guyz,
I took my first gmat on 4th Jan 2010 and scored a partly 500. Q45, V16. I prepared for around 8 weeks(25hrs/week) and spent around 6 weeks preparing for verbal using the following books.

1- Princeton review. how to crack gmat with dvd. I must say, this book has great techniques and a very good and easy to understand strategies for beginners.
2- Kaplan verbal workout
3- OG 12

I spent around 4 weeks learning verbal strategies, and a couple of weeks learning quantitative techniques and formulae. Last 2 weeks before the exam i started doing the practice questions from OG12 and finished most of them with a 60-70% success rate. Until then, i didnt focus on timming and tried to do the questions correctly first. I came across gmatclub during the last week of my preps and installed the GMAT timer.

I took my GMATPrep1 on 28th dec and got 570. Q42, V21. and GMATPrep2 just the night before my actual exam and got a 550. Q44, V17. I read somewhere in this forum that when you are running out of time you should try to guess alternate questions rather than guessing consecutive questions. I was around 10 questions behind in the last 5 mintues and thus I guessed all questions in my RC 4, and did the remaining by guessing one and attemting the other. I think that technique is not correct and i suffered with that technique in GMATPrep2 and actual exam as well.

Anywayz, I believe i can do much better on gmat and planning for a retake during the last week of Feb. I think 45 days will be enough to catchup on my verbal score. I really need to improve my timmings on Verbal part and If i get a score around 700, i will try my luck in LBS R3, Cambridge R3, Cranfield, Imperial and Warwick. Can anybody tell if its worth applying in R3 or is it too late.?

I am setting up a plan for my retake next month. I have bought the OG Verbal and quantitative guides and also have a pdf of OG10 (800 verbal questions). Apart from that i plan to practice using PR 1012 questions. If anybody can give me his/her suggestions relevant to my case, that would be great.

I hope to hear from you guyz soon with your useful suggestions.

Cheers,
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: My GMAT Experience. a verbal nightmare [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 22:59
This actually teach that how important is the verbal. Though I am a newbie but same kind of problem I have been facing when it comes to verbal GMAT. I haven't sit for actual exam but day and night fighting with same thing. Those are not merely written passages but intentionally written in a way confuse and check the depth of comprehension. First of all one must get great familiarity with GMAT's notorious writing style so instead of answering the questions like:

-What can be inferred from passage?
-What passage describes?

We must read, comprehend, re-read comprehend and re-read comprehend those passages so the structure of sentences could be well familiar before we attempt any question. Time is also a big contrain in GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Experience. a verbal nightmare [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 03:46
GMAC2010 wrote:
This actually teach that how important is the verbal. Though I am a newbie but same kind of problem I have been facing when it comes to verbal GMAT. I haven't sit for actual exam but day and night fighting with same thing. Those are not merely written passages but intentionally written in a way confuse and check the depth of comprehension. First of all one must get great familiarity with GMAT's notorious writing style so instead of answering the questions like:

-What passage describes?

We must read, comprehend, re-read comprehend and re-read comprehend those passages so the structure of sentences could be well familiar before we attempt any question. Time is also a big contrain in GMAT.

Hi,
Thanks for your comment. when do you plan to retake? I am planning to retake on 22nd Feb 2010 and busy with planning my workschedule for the next 6 weeks. any inputs are welcome.

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Schools: McCombs

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Experience. a verbal nightmare [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 05:07
Depends on your area of need on verbal:
-For RC, the most popular recommendation seems to be reading books or newspapers.
-For CR, Powerscore and MGMAT CR are supposed to be pretty evenly matched. So choose 1 or the other.
-For SC, MGMAT SC Guide is supposed to be the bible of sentence correction.

According to my practice tests on MGMAT and GMATPrep, I'm 80% accurate on my RC questions. My SC and CR are around 40-50%.

I have both MGMAT SC and CR books. Right now my plan is to review the SC guide and do as many SC questions as possible. The MGMAT SC guide is about 300 pages! Supposedly SC is the easiest to improve. Hopefully, I'll have enough time to get around to CR.

GMAT Retake - Summer/Fall 2010 Minimum 650, Goal 700
Resources - Kaplan Premiere, MGMAT Guides 1-8, OG12, Quant & Verbal

Please help me towards my goal of GMATclub tests and press +1 (kudos) if you like my posts.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: My GMAT Experience. a verbal nightmare [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 14:12
cluelesss wrote:
GMAC2010 wrote:

-What passage describes?

Hi,
Thanks for your comment. when do you plan to retake? I am planning to retake on 22nd Feb 2010 and busy with planning my workschedule for the next 6 weeks. any inputs are welcome.

Thanks,

One thing I also realized that haste to score 700+ also reduce the ability to do so. A very consistent level of concentration where you don't feel overconfident when get the difficult one right and don't feel panic when get wrong, is needed. Therefore, I am not planning to do it in near future. The best way to attack the "level of difficulty" of verbal section is to track the kinds of tricks in questions. Powerscore does a great job to show the tricks of test makers so as some others. But one way I found out is that OG11, OG12 and Official Verbal review should be throughly reviewed and create a excel sheet with tricks and facts about every RC passages and CR questions. SC is pretty much rule based so this approach is not much applicable in SC.
Re: My GMAT Experience. a verbal nightmare   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2010, 14:12