Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Experience - From 510 and 640 - Retaking to Improve

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

My GMAT Experience - From 510 and 640 - Retaking to Improve [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 00:59
Hello Friends

Today I received a email stating that I haven't logged into GMAT Club, and it mentioned I should share my GMAT experience. So I am here. Though not many people share their experiences especially if its not spectacular, but I will do to help gain from other's inputs and motivate many like me who are planning a retake (yes I am).

So let me start with a small brief on myself, I am an Indian guy from IT background (a huge pool - I must say) but one of the differentiating factors about me is that I am an entrepreneur and not a service professional. I did work for a reputed IT company in Bangalore for 13 months but then left with a dream to start on my own. I started up a small IT company from my hometown where we develop websites & internet apps, we also do internet and social media marketing and many other weird things.

The business is doing good for last 3 years but lately I have started feeling that I need a masters especially a (international) MBA degree for many reasons (you can pm me if you would like to know what all reasons). Also let me tell you I hate people who don't have an entrepreneurship background and who don't even have done a MBA and still boast that you don't need an MBA to be successful as an entrepreneur.

MBA is formal training, and entrepreneurship (especially the early years) is mostly a chaos from a management perceptive. To be frank, nothing is in place in a start-up company. Anyways I don't think I should share my business experience here so let me get back to the point.

I gave my gMAT on 11th Oct and scored a 640 and I must say I was satisfied with the score... not in the sense that it was great score but I was satisfied with the breakup. I got 48 in quant and 29 in verbal which I always thought I deserved :) Why I say that I was satisfied from the score was because I was never into languages, even in my childhood I was least bothered to learn grammar and its rules.

How many months I prepared for:
2.5 months. I got 510 in GMAT Prep when I started preparing, could barely finish my quant section and finally I managed to score a 48 on the final GMAT:)

What reading materials I used?
#OG (the best for practice)
# MGMAT SC
# Powerscore Bible CR
# Princeton Review (bit ok nothing great)
# Set of 1000 Questions (I must have done at least 200+ questions from each set)

Now as I have decided to retake, this would be my strategy:
# Joined a GMAT institute (they are probably the best available coaching institute in my hometown) so as to mainly improve my verbal scores
# Continue working on Quant for 1 hr daily (questions from worksheets provided at the institute as well as from the set of 1000 questions)
# For RC, I have zeroed down on 4-5 websites including SCIAM, HARVARD UNIV blog etc using which I will read 4-5 articles on daily basis

I know its difficult task ahead as I have set my goal to score above 40 in verbal and maintain or improve in quant. I will put in dedicated efforts and with blessings from my fellow gmat club members I hope to score great and get into my dream colleges.

For people who feel disheartened with their score, I would always say: OUTPUT = INPUT for 98% people and OUTPUT = INPUT + LUCK for the rest.. I am in the 98% :) so continue working till you get what you went, & even if you get something other that what you want, you can use it to achieve much great heights !!

Do post in with valuable comments on how can I work on improving my verbal as I just have 1.5 months to retake. Also if you need any details on my experiences, you are always welcome..
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [1] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT Experience - From 510 and 640 - Retaking to Improve [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 01:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hi harshagarwal5.

Welcome on board! thank you for excellent thread.

I see you have made a 130 improve, this awesome! Next time you may achieve a 640+130=770 :)

Look,to improve you verbal part, you must know your weaknesses and strength. Improve your weaknesses they are keeping you out from 40 on verbal.
Analyse, make a breakdown what is the weakest area . Is it RC , SC or CR? if CR than look deeper. What kind of questions you are must stack on? For example they are: CR Must be true or Assumption questions? - Then go back to the concepts and do a tone of practice.
Find here (use search) a lot of CR Must be true or Assumption questions - and practice them applying concepts.
Use error log! - this is the must!

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Experience - From 510 and 640 - Retaking to Improve [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 01:18
Pkit wrote:
Analyse, make a breakdown what is the weakest area . Is it RC , SC or CR? if CR than look deeper. What kind of questions you are must stack on? For example they are: CR Must be true or Assumption questions? - Then go back to the concepts and do a tone of practice.
Find here (use search) a lot of CR Must be true or Assumption questions - and practice them applying concepts.
Use error log! - this is the must!

yes, I will try to get this into my regular practice. cannot totally depend on the coaching institute I have joined.. i have to work hard on my verbal.. see my scores have been always inconsistent in verbal sometimes, its been happening for last 1 month.. so that is a big issue.. but I think with error log i would be able to pin point in a better way.. thanks for the inputs.. i have given you a kudos..
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

Re: My GMAT Experience - From 510 and 640 - Retaking to Improve [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 01:46
cannot totally depend on the coaching institute I have joined.

Look here if you are interested in GMAT courses: gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html _ you may find here feedbacks and discussions.

Here you may may discounts gmat-courses-discounts-and-special-discount-codes-89957.html

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: My GMAT Experience - From 510 and 640 - Retaking to Improve [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 04:47
hey,
i would say: well done!!!! next time you will achieve a better score!!!
thanks for sharing your exerience...it motivated me a lot to improve myself to get my wished score!
keep crossing fingers
good luck
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Experience - From 510 and 640 - Retaking to Improve [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 09:19
@Pkit thanks for the info.. but I don't think I will focus on more than one course at one time.

what I meant by saying that "i can't totally depend on coaching" is that I need to put efforts from my side too, i can't just think that coaching will do some magic n i will just get a score without putting in efforts :)

@supereco87 i m happy that my post served as a motivation to you.. have u taken gmat once? what was your score n breakup?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

Re: My GMAT Experience - From 510 and 640 - Retaking to Improve [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 09:31
harshagarwal5 wrote:
@Pkit thanks for the info.. but I don't think I will focus on more than one course at one time.

what I meant by saying that "i can't totally depend on coaching" is that I need to put efforts from my side too, i can't just think that coaching will do some magic n i will just get a score without putting in efforts :)

Absolutely true!

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Re: My GMAT Experience - From 510 and 640 - Retaking to Improve   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2010, 09:31