Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Experience - Provides a balanced perspective

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My GMAT Experience - Provides a balanced perspective [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 11:40
Hi,

I see more positive experiences than negative ones in this forum.
So, my post will create some balance between the two sides.

I took my first stab at GMATPREP test almost 3 months ago. I scored 720. Q 48, V40. I was pleasantly surprised because I had not done much preparation at all. All I had finished was the Sentence Correction Bible. No Quant preparation what so ever.
I had to rush through the Quant section and had to answer the last 6 questions out of 36 without even reading the question. I could not even get to the 37th quant question. Inspite of all of these difficulties, I got 48 on the quant.
I got 11 Math questions wrong out of 36 that I attempted and 12 Verbal questions wrong and still managed a 720.

I took my second GMAT Prep test about 2 months ago and got 710. Q 49, V 38. This time I paced myself better and was able to finish both sections on time. (unlike the first GMATPREP). This time again I got 11 Math questions wrong, but atleast I attempted all the 37 questions without guessing. Verbal - I got 38, 41 attempted, 9 incorrect.

I took my GMAT prep a 3rd time and again a 4th time from a different computer and got 770 and 780 respectively, primarily because of repeat questions.
I took several GMAT challenges in the last couple of weeks and I definitely benefited from them.

I work full time and I was able to devote only about 4 hours a week towards GMAT preparation.

I took my actual GMAT yesterday. My actual GMAT score was 690 - Quant 49 and Verbal 33. I did not time myself correctly. I had to rush through the last 13 questions on the verbal. Also, I had to guess on the last 4 questions in the Math section and had to rush through the last 8 or 9 in the Math section.

I found RC hardern than what I had encounted in the GMATPREP.

So, here I am, a disappointed soul, sharing my experiences with you all, so that you can learn from my mistakes.

I am planning on appearing for my repeat GMAT in a month or so.

Now, if I improve my score the second time around, will the Schools average my two scores?

Your comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome. I look forward to them.

Paddy
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Experience - Provides a balanced perspective [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 12:00
Paddy,

You had an off day concerning the verbal and you true ability is north of 700. However, 690 is an awesome score and I can assure you that your score will not stop you from entering a top 10 MBA program. If you believe that you can do better, then I encourage you to do the exam again, but only if you need to do so. Personally, I would not do the exam again because there is always that chance you might underperform your current score. Again, I do believe that you have a very competitive score and that the difference between a 690 and 700 is very minor as your score of 690 is well within the standard deviation of a 700, I believe + or - 30 points.

Second, I think most MBA programs look look at your highest score only, so I would not worry about whether the school will average you GMAT score if you decide to take the exam again.

Good luck with you decision!
Intern
Intern

My GMAT Experience - Provides a balanced perspective [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 12:02
I took my GMAT the second time a couple of weeks ago. This time I scored 710. (Q 50 and V 36 and AWA 5.0) While the score is better than 690, I still fell behind my expectation of 730 based on my GMAT prep scores of 730 or better.

But, I am not going to take my GMAT again for fear of the possibilty of scoring less next time.

This time I bought Kaplan book (with CD). I practised on the four CATs in the CD. I did all 4 within the 2 week period prior to the test.
I consistently obtained Q 50 and V36 in all 4 tests, even though the scores ranged from 660 to 670.
I felt that Kaplan Reading comprehension passages were harder than the actual GMAT passages.

As usual, I could sleep only 4 hours the night before the exam and got nervous thinking about the lack of sleep.
My principal advice to you all is to get 8 hours of sleep. IMO, this is crucial and could add upto 20 points in your exam.

It is all about how the neurons are firing during those 4 hours. In order to get the neurons to fire at their best capacity, sound sleep is a must.

Good Luck to you all.
Paddy
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Experience - Provides a balanced perspective [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 13:07
710 is an awesome score! Cheers!
Re: My GMAT Experience - Provides a balanced perspective   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2008, 13:07