Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT experience, retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

My GMAT experience, retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 05:58
Guys,

I just took the GMAT yesterday and scored a 690 (47q, 37V). This score is a definite improvement over my 620 a few years back. Verbal was my weakest link so I spent a lot of time studying MGMAT SC. I improved my verbal from 29 to 37, which I think is a great improvement, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

My first time preparing for the gmat I spent a lot of time on Kaplan's material. Kaplan did not reflect the gmat as closely as Manhattan did. My advice is to spend your time reviewing all of Manhattan's material and the 6 tests that come with it.

Mgmat
1: 590 (43,29)week 1
2: 650 (45,34)week 2
3: 640 (41,36)week 4
4: 660 (44,36)week 5
5: 640 (44,34)week 7
6: 650 (44,35)week 8

1a: 690 a week before exam date
2a: 710 a week before exam date

GMAT Prep
1: 660 (47,36) in week 3
retake: 700 (46,40) in week 6
2: 710 (49,37) about two weeks before exam date

PR
590 (45,26) also in week 8: not sure what happened here or if it is a reliable exam.

Now my biggest hurdle will be to get in to B-school with a 690, and 2.6 gpa in physics from U of I in Champaign/Urbana. I have 4.5 years work experience as a trader, and even managed my own portfolio for a while. My target schools are kellogg and booth. Think I should retake the gmat to get that 700+ score? I know it is within my range.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: My GMAT experience, retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 06:06
arctic, retake would be advisable IMO. Could you please provide more info on your preparation and test day?
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT experience, retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 06:26
I spent about 3 months preparing. My study tools included MGMAT SC, CR, Number Properties, and Word Translations. I also had OG 12th edition, along with the Verbal Review and Quantitative Review 2nd edition.

Over the first month I spend time simply going over the MGMAT material. I spent most of that time going over the SC stuff. After this month of prep I took GMAT Prep I and scored 660. My quant was strong, buy my verbal was still shaky.

For the next 1.5 months I had a routine of doing 10 questions each of CR, RC, SC, PS, and DS questions Mon-Wed. On Thursday's I would take one of GMAT clubs math tests. The gmat club math tests are more difficult than the actual test, but I had been focusing so much on verbal, and I wanted to spend at least a day on quant. I took a MGMAT CAT every Friday, evaluated my progress and started the cycle over again on Monday.

When I felt I was almost ready, I took GMAT prep II to see how I was doing, and scored a 710. This felt great and was my first time scoring over 700. I scheduled my test two weeks down the road after seeing this score. During these two weeks I retook a couple of MGMAT tests and one of the GMAT Prep tests just to stay in test taking shape. I also spent an hour or two addressing some weak areas every day, but not forgetting to nurture my strengths. I also started reading a lot of articles in scientific american, and the economist.

On test day, I woke up at 630. I had my morning cup of coffee and my standard breakfast. Went to starbucks and did a reading passage, a few quant questions, and a some CR. Nothing crazy, but just a few questions to get my brain working. I grabbed a bit to eat for lunch and was off to take my test. The rest is history.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 348

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My GMAT experience, retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 06:43
I think it might be advisable to retake to see if you can get a better score in order to counter balance your GPA and have solid LORs and essays.

arctic wrote:
Guys,

I just took the GMAT yesterday and scored a 690 (47q, 37V). This score is a definite improvement over my 620 a few years back. Verbal was my weakest link so I spent a lot of time studying MGMAT SC. I improved my verbal from 29 to 37, which I think is a great improvement, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

My first time preparing for the gmat I spent a lot of time on Kaplan's material. Kaplan did not reflect the gmat as closely as Manhattan did. My advice is to spend your time reviewing all of Manhattan's material and the 6 tests that come with it.

Mgmat
1: 590 (43,29)week 1
2: 650 (45,34)week 2
3: 640 (41,36)week 4
4: 660 (44,36)week 5
5: 640 (44,34)week 7
6: 650 (44,35)week 8

1a: 690 a week before exam date
2a: 710 a week before exam date

GMAT Prep
1: 660 (47,36) in week 3
retake: 700 (46,40) in week 6
2: 710 (49,37) about two weeks before exam date

PR
590 (45,26) also in week 8: not sure what happened here or if it is a reliable exam.

Now my biggest hurdle will be to get in to B-school with a 690, and 2.6 gpa in physics from U of I in Champaign/Urbana. I have 4.5 years work experience as a trader, and even managed my own portfolio for a while. My target schools are kellogg and booth. Think I should retake the gmat to get that 700+ score? I know it is within my range.
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT experience, retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 06:59
A couple of questions...is any weight given to the difficulty of my major? Some could argue that 2.6 in physics could be a 3.6 in economics.

I have some time, would enrolling at a local university to prepare an alternative transcript be a better play?

I can get some glowing letters of recommendations from some very reputable individuals, but would it be helpful to have one of the LOR's come from a current student? I know a few people attending the schools that I am looking to attend.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: My GMAT experience, retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 07:44
Hey arctic, thanks for the explanation.

You mentioned
Quote:

I am trying to find strategies for Assumption questions, i heard answers ranging from one end to the other, some say the CR is mostly representative of OG 12, some say its harder so work with Lsat CR, some say Lsat Cr is very easy.

Could u resolve this paradox?

Since you mentioned you used Mgmat CR, i looked at the older version not the 4 edition and it hardly covers anything in detail on CR. It gave me an assumption that Mgmat might not be very helpful in CR as it barely go through presenting the CR concepts compared to powerscore which is highly complicated.

Did Mgmat Cr helped you strengthen your weakness.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT experience, retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 08:09
BlueRobbin,

The MGMAT CR was not very helpful to me other than the fact it helped me to categorize the types of CR questions.

As far as lsat CR vs OG 12 vs the actual gmat: I think LSAT CR is tougher than both, but they are also different. While logic is the key to any of these questions, I think your best bet for preparation would be to practice the questions in OG 12, and the Verbal Review 2nd edtion. MGMAT CR will be helpful in singling out question types, as they reference questions in OG 12 and the verbal review.

While I did not blow the verbal section of my test away, I thought that OG 12 and the Verbal Review were more difficult than the CR questions that I received during test day.

Personally, with assumption questions I try not to let my mind roam too much on what the assumption is, unless it smacks me in the face while I am reading. After reading the conclusion of the argument I usually just read through the answer choice and see which one most logically strengthens or weakens the conclusion. Easier said than done.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 986 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT experience, retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 08:22
BlueRobin wrote:
Hey arctic, thanks for the explanation.

You mentioned
Quote:

I am trying to find strategies for Assumption questions, i heard answers ranging from one end to the other, some say the CR is mostly representative of OG 12, some say its harder so work with Lsat CR, some say Lsat Cr is very easy.

Could u resolve this paradox?

Since you mentioned you used Mgmat CR, i looked at the older version not the 4 edition and it hardly covers anything in detail on CR. It gave me an assumption that Mgmat might not be very helpful in CR as it barely go through presenting the CR concepts compared to powerscore which is highly complicated.

Did Mgmat Cr helped you strengthen your weakness.

Thanks.

Use and follow Powerscore CR bible word by word. If they say do not do "THIS" , then do not do that.
Exhaust your OG12 and OG verbal. If you think you need more, use LSAT tests with kaplan explanation and before the G day revise OG12 and OG verbal again to get used to GMAT questions.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: My GMAT experience, retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 09:25
My humble opinion is that you should retake if think you can significantly improve your score. Booth and Kellogg are both top tier programs and a higher score can only strengthen your application.
Re: My GMAT experience, retake?   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2010, 09:25