Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My gmat experience should I retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My gmat experience should I retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 11:53
Hey guys,

So I basically crammed 3 weeks 12 hours a day for the GMAT and got a 720.

Math: 49
Verbal:40 (Sentence correction was a huge problem for me)
94 percentile

On practice exams I had the same raw scores but 730 as a score...why is there a difference?

Now I am only an undergraduate but knew it lasted 5 years. I am going to be working on Wall Street and have an undergrad GPA of 3.9 in Finance, and Math (top 20 business school)

I am wondering for top programs, do i need to retake assuming I will be applying 4 years from now? Or I should be fine on the GPA and GMAT end

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: My gmat experience should I retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 14:39
no way! don't waste time retaking. that's a great score and with a 3.9 you have nothing to overcome.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 39

Re: My gmat experience should I retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 17:07
Don't retake until (and if) you have a long-ish period of time to prepare with nothing else you really need/want to do. And only then retake if you're pretty sure you could get 40 points more.

My GMAT Experience: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-debrief-770-q50-v47-115912.html

Intern
Intern

Re: My gmat experience should I retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 17:24
40 points will be tough but doable if i improve SC. not sure if i will have that much time but will see. is 720 just not good enough?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 39

Re: My gmat experience should I retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 17:29
720 is fine for any program you apply to, but if you want to put your best foot forward a higher score is always better (just not at the expense of any other part of your application at this point).

My GMAT Experience: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-debrief-770-q50-v47-115912.html

Intern
Intern

Re: My gmat experience should I retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 17:39
Alright thanks. I will wait to retake it when i decide to get an MBA. I mean its still pretty early for me. I really thought 720 was okay but i need to do better.
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: My gmat experience should I retake? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 06:58
A 720 is more than okay. For every MBA program you are within one SD of the mean, if not higher than the mean. There's no reason to retake it. You have a balanced score that will more than just satisfy an adcom. Your GPA is great so you don't need a higher score. I'd go so far as to say a higher score will do nothing for you. You've reached the threshold and an extra 40 points won't make you any better of a candidate at this point. If you'd scored a 680 I would tell you to retake it. However, in your case you'd seriously be wasting your time chasing a score.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Re: My gmat experience should I retake?   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2011, 06:58