Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - October 19, 2012

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 13

CAT Tests
My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - October 19, 2012 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 21:20
This post received
KUDOS
07/15/12 Update: No excuses. I lost track of all of my responsibilities. Here's one tip, though. If you want to succeed, you'll have to plan life around the GMAT and not the other way around. Restarting my plan today. 14 weeks until my 10/19/12 exam.

08/14/12 Update: Guys, I'll have to stop posting right. If anyone cares, I'm doing pretty well on my practice exams (breaking 600). With two months left, I feel comfortable aiming for 700+. I've also subscribed to Magoosh so I will leave a thorough feedback for everyone to observe. I'll make sure to leave a thorough feedback on my GMAT experience immediately afterward. Wish everyone luck.

The purpose of this post is to document my weekly goals and to hold myself accountable for my plan. Furthermore, I hope that this eventually becomes a resource for those who want to figure out an 12-15 week plan.

Hours: 2-3 hours per weekday, 10-15 hours per weekend.
Application: Looking for 1st and 2nd RD applications this year depending on GMAT.

Week 1: 07/15-07/21
Goals: FDP and RC Strategy Guides
CAT Results: N/A
Notes: FDP taken care of pretty quickly. I haven't started RC as scheduled so will have to take some time off of work to get through it in addition to my Week 2's study plan. Also purchased "Your MBA Game Plan 3rd Edition" (finished in one night) and "Great Application Essays for Business School" to facilitate my application process. I'll do a full review for these later. The MBA Game Plan was good, but the Great Application Essays is easily the best thing I've done for myself the past few months. Get it!!!
Tips: Print out the common FDP Equivalents (pg. 66 in the Study Guide) and memorize the numbers.

Week 2: 07/22-07/28
Goals: RC and NP Strategy Guides, GC QOTD problems
Notes: Finished the GAE book. GB QOTD problems definitely provide a nice way to practice concepts.
Tips: I'm having a really tough time getting enough sleep. I know that I'll have to give up some extracurricular activities. Remember, you have to centralize your focus on the GMAT and plan everything else around the test. This is a tough experience and I would highly recommend any potential MBA applicant to take care of the exam way ahead of the time. I'm doing my exam and applications at the same time and it's definitely a time strenuous process. Start early!

Week 3: 07/29-08/04
Goals: Catchup and work more practice problems on FDP, RC, and NP. 1 CAT Exam (Q/V only)
CAT Results: MGMAT Q42, haven't completed verbal
Notes: I have to make a 4 day out of town trip to pick up my mother. Regardless, I'll find time to catch up and get another CAT in.
Tips: I couldn't sit through an entire practice exam. Don't underestimate the endurance and agility required to remain focused throughout the exam.

Week 4: 08/05-08/11
Goals: Catchup. 1 CAT Exam (Q/V only), clear out my inbox of all GC QOTD questions
CAT Results:
Notes: The mother is staying with me so I'm going to take it slow this week.
Tips: While focusing on the GMAT is important, do not forget to treat your body well. Eat good foods, stay away from junk, and exercise when you have the time.

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Last edited by Two64 on 14 Aug 2012, 07:41, edited 31 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - August 20, 2012 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 00:05
Goodluck to both of us jxatrillion. Will be sitting on my GMAT late August too (will have to decide the date soon), and planning to start my journal too.

Last edited by nbeltranii on 02 Jun 2012, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - August 20, 2012 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 00:19
nbeltranii wrote:
Goodluck to both of us jxatrillion. Will be setting on my GMAT late August too (will have to decide the date soon), and planning to start my journal too.

I felt comfortable giving myself 11-12 weeks because I actually studied the material months ago but had to shift focus due to an increase in workload. If you're just beginning your journey, I would highly recommend not picking a date until you've taken a diagnostic and maybe one full CAT practice exam. From there, based on your school you can think about the time frame it'll take based on your daily responsibilities to do well. This was the mistake I made during my first appointment and had to reschedule (ugh, lost $50). Really excited to see you start a journal so let me know! Maybe we can both collaborate and keep each other accountable!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
WE: Corporate Finance (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - August 20, 2012 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 02:31
Sounds like a serious plan :-D . I have the same timing and the same goal +720. I'll also focus the begining of my plan with Number properties & Sentence correction (MGMAT).

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - August 20, 2012 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 08:00
I got an identical target score and will be writing my GMAT around the same time. :)

This time its personal..

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - August 20, 2012 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 11:42
Hello team,

Thank you for the encouragement and support. Since we're all looking at the same score and timeframe, let's keep each other accountable. Feel free to check in and post your progress. It's going to be a long summer but I'm definitely excited to give this a crack.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - August 20, 2012 [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2012, 11:31
Seems like you haven't posted for a while, are you still studying towards the GMAT?
Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - August 20, 2012 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 16:39
Caspar wrote:
Seems like you haven't posted for a while, are you still studying towards the GMAT?

Hey Caspar, thanks for checking in.

I made a huge mistake of overpiling myself this year. Needless to say, I'm going to have to put this off towards the end of the year. The biggest lesson I've learn throughout this experience is that you have to plan your life around the GMAT if you want to do well and not the other way around. After some thought, I'm going to push it around October since that's when I'll be done with a LOT of things. I will resume studying in about a month. Hope to receive everyone's encouragement again then.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - August 20, 2012 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 18:56
jxatrillion wrote:
you have to plan your life around the GMAT if you want to do well and not the other way around

So true!! Good luck :)
Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - October 19, 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 22:53
back on it.... won't let it slip away from me this time around... also added 3 weeks to my study schedule just to factor in any screwups that may occur during the study schedule.

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - October 19, 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 23:15
I was in a similar situation like you. From Jan to June end, there was too much work to make any progress on GMAT. I hardly gave any tests during this period. My suggestion would be to study for 5-10 hours every week to keep things fresh.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - October 19, 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 23:19
AbhiJ wrote:
I was in a similar situation like you. From Jan to June end, there was too much work to make any progress on GMAT. I hardly gave any tests during this period. My suggestion would be to study for 5-10 hours every week to keep things fresh.

Thank you for the advice, AbhiJ.

Work picked up to about 55 hours. That isn't a huge amount but I'm also the President of an organization and right now we're going through heavy restructure and planning. I was also taking an extension course to create an "alternative transcript." Started with an A but slipped to a low B. I ultimately dropped the course since the GMAT is priority to me right now. I also let go of a lot of my other responsibilities as I cannot push the GMAT back any longer. With an Oct. 19th exam date, that will leave me less than a month to submit for RD. 1. I'm really looking forward to my new free time to focus completely on taking this GMAT heads on. Very excited for this fresh start. Thank you for your support.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - October 19, 2012 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 12:01
Nice thread!!! I'm wondering if you guys could share me, in here or pm, your study plan until your test date. It would be appreciated because I'm on the same boat except that I took the gmat twice :(( and did not win a good score (latest 660: q48, V34). Target: improve +1 score for quant but will mainly focus on verbal to get +38 (need to improve +4 scores), overall +710.

I plan to take the gmat in late August. I'm dedicating this week for quant, reviewing all advanced chapters of MGMAT quant books and practicing sets of Jeff Sackman (great problems btw, I like gmatclub quant too but find Jeff Sackmann's more appropriate to real gmat problems) this week. Will work on verbal and practice tests from then until my exam.

Practice tests I will take: 5 gmatclub, 5 grockit, retake 6 MGMAT & GmatPrep. May buy Gmat question pack 1 (by GMAC) if I still have time to practice. Already did OG too many times and remember most of the answers :(

I would appreciate any advice or comment on the above strategy.
Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - October 19, 2012 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 20:14
Here's my 14 week outline (I've left many "free" days in case I need it to catch up with something to review a concept).

Weeks 1-6: go through all 8 official study guides. I would read the chapter and answer the listed questions. After week 3 and 6, I'll take a CAT exam (verbal/quant sections only). Throughout this section, I want to review my answers as well. I may spend an entire weekend on just going through my results and reviewing any concepts necessary through practice problems.
Weeks 7-8: go through AWA and IR study guides that I've found on this website. 4 full-length CAT exams to start building stamina.
Weeks 9-12: narrowing down strengths and weaknesses by assessing my CAT scores. Review concepts. Utilize extra resources such as GMAT Club tests/online videos, etc.
Weeks 13-14: Practice, practice, practice. CAT CAT CAT CAT CAT!

Hope this helps.

Re: My GMAT Journal :: Exam Date - October 19, 2012   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2012, 20:14