Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Journey

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Virginia Tech
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

My GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 19:48
My journey began in 2009 right after I graduated undergrad (Texas A&M BBA in Marketing). At the time, nobody was hiring and many recruiters were only looking for accounting or supply chain. Quite a few reps said they weren't even taking resumes at our own campus career fair. Graduation came and I was still out of a job. I had entertained the thought of pursuing an MS in Supply Chain because the concentration was in demand and Dallas, TX is a logistics hub for many companies. I really didn't prepare very well and took the GMAT 2 weeks after graduating. I studied for about 5-6 hours a day after graduating and we all know where this would go.

On my GMATPrep CATs, I scored a 590 on the 1st exam and a 550 on the second. I needed a 600 to get into my school of choice. I really underestimated the exam and did very poorly. I scored a 530 (37Q/26V).

I was devastated, but not really surprised. I really did not prepare well and I really wasn't aiming too high. My only practice was going through the OG and doing some practice problems online. I was so depressed by the GMAT that I didn't think about taking it again. Instead, I took a few months off and concentrated on finding a job. Eventually, I did some more research on graduate programs and found that University of Texas at Dallas had a pretty good business program and accepted the GRE. I studied for about 2 months a few hours a day and scored a 1270 (750Q/520V) on the GRE. I applied and was accepted to their MS in Supply Chain program for their Fall 2010 semester.

In the months I was waiting to begin classes, I finally landed a full time job. I decided to pass up grad school for the time being and moved to Washington DC for a job in acquisitions/procurement. One of the benefits my agency provides is $6k in tuition assistance for 3 years. I began to research the graduate programs in the area and there are quite a few ranked programs in the DC area.

Georgetown
Maryland
George Washington
American U
Virginia Tech
Johns Hopkins

Maryland also offered a MS in Supply Chain, but their tuition was way too high for me; It was about the same as an MBA. Because Maryland is the only school that provides a MS in Supply Chain, I decided to pursue an MBA. Johns Hopkins, American, and George Washington all accept the GRE, however, all have tuition in the $60k range.

Virginia Tech is my target school because it offers a nationally known name and the tuition is much more affordable ($18k after my $18k in tuition assistance). Because I would like to stay at my current job/field, a big name MBA really isn't needed. Virginia Tech is looking for a minimum 600 GMAT for their part time program and they say their average is 620.

I've been studying for about a month and a half for 2 hours a day and have made some real progress. I took the free MGMAT and scored a 640 (44Q/34V). That was way beyond what I expected and it had me feeling very confident. I took a Kaplan CAT a week ago and scored a 630 (39Q/40V). 2 days ago, I took another MGMAT and scored a 680 (44Q/38V)!

I was so scared of the GMAT because of how bad I did my first time around, but I'm feeling super confident right now after my practice CATs. I need 600, but I'm going to aim for 700 now. I still need to improve some of my math fundamentals (MGMAT guides) and my sentence corrections. If I get a 700, I'll apply to Georgetown for next Fall.

Test Date: May 13, 2011.

Here are my vitals:
24 years old
Asian American
3.542 GPA from Texas A&M
BBA: Marketing
1.5 years of experience
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 11:20
Update!
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 09:23
Ahh!! 2 more weeks to go and I just took my first GMATprep exam.

I scored a 610 with a 42Q and 31 V. Alot less than what I expected.

So far:

MGMAT 1: 640 (44Q/34V)
Kaplan: 630 (39Q/40V)
MGMAT 2: 680 (44Q/38V)
GMATprep1: 610 (42Q/31V)

Quant: 13/37 incorrect.
I thought I did pretty well on the quant. It was within my range. There were some silly mistakes that I shouldn't have made.

Verbal: 12/41 incorrect.
Verbal was pretty tough. Originally I thought it was RC and CR that were hard, but in my review, I counted that I only had 2 wrong of each question type. I missed 8 total Sentence Correction. Looking back, the SC was much tougher than MGMAT and Kaplan.

Overall, I'm not sure why my score was so low. On the verbal, there weren't many consecutive misses. I really thought my verbal score would be quite high.

The quant had quite a few consecutive misses during the first 1/3 of the test. 7 of my 13 misses were in the first third.

I guess I really know where I need to focus now. I think my math is fine, it is the sentence correction that I need to study up on. I wasn't quite focused this test and I wrote an entire AWA to simulate the real exam. It was also quite noisy in the computer lab. I just need to work on my endurance and focus.
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 20:11
Just finished MGMAT SC Question Bank.

Pretty much got half of the 25 sentences wrong (or right if you're a half full type of person).

One of the easiest things I can correct is paying attention to MODIFIERS. I need to read up on my modifier rules. Also, idioms give me some trouble as well. Like vs as, due to vs because, not only + but also, etc.

How do I improve my use of idioms???
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 08:07
Crap! Just took GMATprep 2 and my score went down.

42Q
32V

I've been focusing most of my time this past week on Sentence Correction, so I'm pretty surprised at how bad I did on the verbal.

Error Log
SC- 8 incorrect
CR- 2 incorrect
RC- 3 incorrect

PS- 5 incorrect
DS- 8 incorrect

MGMAT 1: 640 (44Q/34V)
Kaplan: 630 (39Q/40V)
MGMAT 2: 680 (44Q/38V)
GMATPrep1: 610 (42Q/31V)
GMATPrep2: 600 (42Q/32V)

Basically the same as GMATprep 1. My CR and RC are at an acceptable level, it's my sentence correction that really gives me fits. There were a few math questions that I should have gotten right, but my math score is also acceptable.

When I review it, I catch my mistakes and I know what I did wrong. So how do I catch my mistakes beforehand?! I'll go back over it and analyze my mistakes in greater detail in a little bit.

D-Day in 5 days!
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 08:45
Finally done! Got what I needed for Virginia Tech.

39Q
35V

Not quite as high on the Q as I thought I would have gotten. Verbal was a nice surprise though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 12:58
Congrats on getting the score you wanted for your B school. Can you comment on how were Verbal Questions(SC/RC/CR) compared to OG or GMATPrep?

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 15:02
rg1 wrote:
Congrats on getting the score you wanted for your B school. Can you comment on how were Verbal Questions(SC/RC/CR) compared to OG or GMATPrep?

Sure. I was in a bit of a hurry when I got home, hence the lack of details.

Basically, the test and the OG questions were pretty similar. Didn't really encounter any problems I hadn't seen before. The concepts were all the same. My math score was a bit disappointing and I was expecting higher. None of the problems really gave me any trouble.

The verbal was also pretty straightforward. Nothing I couldn't handle. The CR was a little harder than I was used to.

Overall, my GMATprep score was spot on with scores of 600 and 610. My higher verbal score on the real thing can be attributed to being more focused and eating a good meal and getting enough rest.

Overall, I'm happy I got the score I needed, but disappointed I didn't score higher. I could have easily scored a 630-650 if I had scored as I have been on the math (42-44).

I will say the very first math question had me stumped. I just wasn't prepared. Took me 5 minutes to solve and threw me off a bit. Anyways, I want to thank everyone for their support over the last 2 months. I really appreciate all the members for their wisdom and advice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 16:59
aznboi986 wrote:
rg1 wrote:

Sure. I was in a bit of a hurry when I got home, hence the lack of details.

Basically, the test and the OG questions were pretty similar. Didn't really encounter any problems I hadn't seen before. The concepts were all the same. My math score was a bit disappointing and I was expecting higher. None of the problems really gave me any trouble.

The verbal was also pretty straightforward. Nothing I couldn't handle. The CR was a little harder than I was used to.

Overall, my GMATprep score was spot on with scores of 600 and 610. My higher verbal score on the real thing can be attributed to being more focused and eating a good meal and getting enough rest.

Overall, I'm happy I got the score I needed, but disappointed I didn't score higher. I could have easily scored a 630-650 if I had scored as I have been on the math (42-44).

I will say the very first math question had me stumped. I just wasn't prepared. Took me 5 minutes to solve and threw me off a bit. Anyways, I want to thank everyone for their support over the last 2 months. I really appreciate all the members for their wisdom and advice.

Thanks @aznboi986 and good luck with your application process.

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Re: My GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 13 May 2011, 16:59