Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT journey and your inputs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 05:39
ibbys wrote:
Mackieman wrote:
Guys, do not forget to practice CR. I thought I had CR under control, around 90% correct in GMAT-prep and 70% in MGMAT. On the real test day the CR-questions were much harder than anything I ever encountered on GMATprep.



Do you think it's wise to practice LSAT CR?

I have always been wary of LSAT CR since ithe questions are not what can be 'expected' on the GMAT. Instead re-doing OG problems, may be OG11 or 10 may help. Atleast it will get us acquainted with common OG traps/correct answers.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 05:42
ibbys wrote:
Mackieman wrote:
Guys, do not forget to practice CR. I thought I had CR under control, around 90% correct in GMAT-prep and 70% in MGMAT. On the real test day the CR-questions were much harder than anything I ever encountered on GMATprep.



Also, what did you think about RC? Was it generally straightforward or convoluted?

In my opinion, RC was ok. The passages that I had got were straighforward(remember my score was 490!!! may be higher scorers got hard passages). But ,we definitely need a strategy so that we can read fast on the exam and also maximize the number of correct answers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 05:44
DaoEmo wrote:
Concerning the fact that you forget 2 verbal parts' patterns while reviewing the third's ones maybe the following will help: when you read, for instance, MGMAT SC book write short notes in your notebook, making kind of an extract of the key issues (it's better than reading other people's notes since you memorize a lot more). After having it done for all books you will obtain a list of "to do/to remember etc." things. Simply review it before taking any test and do your best! As you will take a lot more than 2-3 tests you will read this extract quite often and eventually remember almost everything or everything that you have written.
Good luck!

Daoemo, thanks! I'm already making flash cards for all the MGMAT books. I shall review it ,as you say, each time I take ap ractice test. currently I am done with 2 books. For me the major problem is , although I tend to remember concepts, I forget the strategy :oops: . This gets me a lot of wrong answers! I need to spend the next few weeks in retaining stuff in my head :P more than anything else.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Just trying to make mom and dad proud :)
Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Posts: 102
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 10:01
heygirl--

when's your test date?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 10:08
ibbys wrote:
heygirl--

when's your test date?

26 march
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 20:02
Some updates - I have completed the SC, Rc portions including OG 12 review. I am still improving on my quant going through my flash cards and the mgmat quant books again - no issues here. My biggest concern now is CR. I have 3 weeks to my test and I still need to go thru the mgmat cr book and Also do all the OG questions. I'm freaking out now thinking of this. Looks like the test date nerves are already catching up with me :-( I'm looking for some support from you guys that I can complete the C R part and successfully increase my accuracy on my test :-) any suggestions here? I also have the powerscore boom and I have gone thru the first 4-5 chapters . Unfortunately, that was 2 months back and I was just preliminary review so I don't remember much

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 13:35
I have been working on the CR section since morning. I don't have issues recognizing the argument or the conclusion. But, I have noticed that I tend to pick correct answers on CR only if I note down stuff(as outlined in the MGMAT CR book). If I don't know down then my accuracy level just goes down to 1/4 correct. any one has any thoughts on this? does this mean I need to just stick to this strategy,although it takes time, or should i practice more and try to do CRs mentally?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 198
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 14:48
I want to give you a little tip here, something I learned long time ago is focussing on key phrases or words, don't take notes, but emphasize on important word and imprint them on your short term memory, I have been using this on CR, doesn't work on RC though!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4688
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1084

Kudos [?]: 4874 [1] , given: 163

Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 17:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
heygirl wrote:
I have been working on the CR section since morning. I don't have issues recognizing the argument or the conclusion. But, I have noticed that I tend to pick correct answers on CR only if I note down stuff(as outlined in the MGMAT CR book). If I don't know down then my accuracy level just goes down to 1/4 correct. any one has any thoughts on this? does this mean I need to just stick to this strategy,although it takes time, or should i practice more and try to do CRs mentally?


I don't think it is about noting down stuff or not. It is probably more about giving yourself time to interpret properly. When you note down stuff, you tend to spend more time and analyze the statements more, i.e. you put in more effort in the stimulus. It is no surprise then that your accuracy improves. Similarly, when we tell our students to note down a couple of words from each paragraph in RC, their accuracy improves because they are actively analyzing the passage and are more focused.
You can do the same without writing down anything if you focus and try to make sense of the stimulus properly before picking an answer. Start with trying to mentally jot down the important points and with time, you will be able to do it unconsciously... your speed will increase without affecting accuracy.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 07:15
desiaggie1980 wrote:
I want to give you a little tip here, something I learned long time ago is focussing on key phrases or words, don't take notes, but emphasize on important word and imprint them on your short term memory, I have been using this on CR, doesn't work on RC though!

Posted from my mobile device Image

desiaggie, thaks for sharing ur experience. i think it is better that i get used to mental note-taking. when i write down things for CR,my accuracy is almost 90% (right answers). but this process takes me 2.5 mins to complete a question.
for RC, like you do, i take down some main points /struc points and thath elps me go back to the concerned para if required
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 07:17
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
I don't think it is about noting down stuff or not. It is probably more about giving yourself time to interpret properly. When you note down stuff, you tend to spend more time and analyze the statements more, i.e. you put in more effort in the stimulus. It is no surprise then that your accuracy improves. Similarly, when we tell our students to note down a couple of words from each paragraph in RC, their accuracy improves because they are actively analyzing the passage and are more focused.
You can do the same without writing down anything if you focus and try to make sense of the stimulus properly before picking an answer. Start with trying to mentally jot down the important points and with time, you will be able to do it unconsciously... your speed will increase without affecting accuracy.


karishma, thanks for ur perspective here. this is exactly what is happening with me. i tend to stay focussed when i note down and this automatically translates into correct answers. i assume that to implement a strategy without note-taking i will have to keep my mind laser-focused on the stimulus/question :P . also, may be some more practice will help as i implement this strategy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 10:47
I took MGMAT #5 CAT today just to score a 640 :( !!!! I thought I would touch 670-680 but looks like I need to improve a lot. My break - up was Q43 and V34. Most of my mistakes in Verbal were in CR questions and RC questions. I got 2 RC passages back-to-back and during the last RC, I was running out of time so could not concentrate and got all that passage questions wrong. In the first 3 passages, I got only 2 wrong in total. In SC, I noticed that I got only 700-800 level questions(good news??). I've kept one GMAP prep test unutilized and will take that test in the next 10 days or so.

I'm not sure if I need to concentrate more on verbal here or re-visit Quant concepts and target a 47-48 in Quant (or may be do both :roll: ). I have exactly 3 weeks to my test. My target is atleast a 650 and anything above that will open doors to apply to many other schools. So I want to make sure that I land a 650 at the very least on my real test. possible or not?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: One last try =,=
Joined: 11 Jun 2010
Posts: 135
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 28

Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 03:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Quant questions in MGMAT CAT are more difficult than those in GMATPrep. I personally think that if you get Q43 in MGMAT CAT, you may get 45-46 or even 47 in GMATPrep. My quant scores in MGMAT CAT were 41-44, but I got 47 or 48 in GMATPrep and scored 47 in the real thing. So, don't worry about quant score :D.

I suggest reviewing quant problems in MGMAT CAT to learn new concepts and spending time on CR and RC as well. Though you might be quite good at SC, do not forget to practice this section; a set of 20-30 questions per day is enough.

I myself find that revising the incorrect and correct answers I got in GMATPrep is critical. I googled the incorrect ones and read carefully (and even took notes) the detailed explanations of Ron and Stacey on MGMAT forum. It really helped building my concepts in quant and improved my knowledge in SC.

650+ should be attainable. Goodluck! :wink:
_________________

There can be Miracles when you believe

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 19:54
windofchange, thanks for ur reply. I too am not concerned about Quant score much, I know that I can manage atleast 44 on the real test. But, I am REALLY concerned about VErbal, especially CR. Nothing seems to be working there :cry: .Not sure how the MGMAT verbal section compares to the real gmat(easier/harder/same level/different etc) ?
I really need to do some thing to get CR accuracy up. May I need to complete the Powerscore Bible. I've done only half of the book.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Just trying to make mom and dad proud :)
Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Posts: 102
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 00:13
heygirl wrote:
windofchange, thanks for ur reply. I too am not concerned about Quant score much, I know that I can manage atleast 44 on the real test. But, I am REALLY concerned about VErbal, especially CR. Nothing seems to be working there :cry: .Not sure how the MGMAT verbal section compares to the real gmat(easier/harder/same level/different etc) ?
I really need to do some thing to get CR accuracy up. May I need to complete the Powerscore Bible. I've done only half of the book.



You exam is getting closer, so depending on how much time you have you may or may not be able to get through the entire book. You don't want to overwhelm yourself and rushing through it is of no use. Some chapters are definitely more important than others due to the frequency in which certain question types appear. I believe the introduction of the book mentions the most question common types. I would focus on these chapters and really know them well. If you need quick notes as a refresher check out the notes put together by another forum member: cr-guide-100473.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 04:51
ibbys: yes, i think i"ll go through a couple of more chapters instead of the whole book. need to really practice CR
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: One last try =,=
Joined: 11 Jun 2010
Posts: 135
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 28

Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 08:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
heygirl,

I was in your shoes in my previous attempt: I constantly made countless incorrect CRs although I had gone through PowerScore Bible. 2 weeks prior to my exam, I was confused (and a little bit desperate) because I could not find any CR strategies that worked with me. Finally, I found out some reasons for my bad performance:
- I did not identify the premises and the conclusion, thus easily got tricked.
- The stimulus (paragraph) was usually very complicated and awkward. When I wasn't able to understand what it meant, how could I answer the question?
- I was not familiar with GMAC's logic :(

I agree with ibbys that the Comprehensive CR Guide composed by Whiplash is really helpful. It covers the major topics that can be tested on the real GMAT. Because of time constraint, you should read this material. After completing each CR question type, you will practice the problems in OG to familiarize yourself with the strategy. Do not rush! Just follow the steps. I believe that you will increase your accuracy. Hope that this approach works with you (as it does with me :D).
_________________

There can be Miracles when you believe

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 15:45
windofchange wrote:
- I did not identify the premises and the conclusion, thus easily got tricked.
- The stimulus (paragraph) was usually very complicated and awkward. When I wasn't able to understand what it meant, how could I answer the question?
- I was not familiar with GMAC's logic :(

I agree with ibbys that the Comprehensive CR Guide composed by Whiplash is really helpful. It covers the major topics that can be tested on the real GMAT. Because of time constraint, you should read this material. After completing each CR question type, you will practice the problems in OG to familiarize yourself with the strategy. Do not rush! Just follow the steps. I believe that you will increase your accuracy. Hope that this approach works with you (as it does with me :D).

I actually never concentrated on the conclusion :oops: . I should start doing this! THANKS. I just completed most of the CR Powerbible book a few minutes back. Just the last couple of chapters remaining. Now, I"ll take some specific question types such as assumption or weaken etc frm OG and practice with that. LEt me see how it goes. Will update you guys here :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 17:50
Just did some CR questions from OG 12 :arrow: NO IMPROVEMENT :shock: I get only 1/3 of the questions right. Oh, by the way, all questions were timed and I did it in blocks of 15 or so.

I'm going to refocus on CR a little later this week, may be thursday or over the week end. I have the TOEFL iBT on Friday.
This time I"ll do practice questions from the same questions type of CR instead of going through a random set. So, over the next few days I am going to do some Math revisit.
Re: My GMAT journey and your inputs   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2011, 17:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic The Critical Stage of My GMAT Journey. Need Your Support! Mochad 6 05 Sep 2012, 08:03
22 Share your thoughts on my GMAT journey heygirl 72 08 Mar 2011, 07:05
My Journey to a 700 Input APPRECIATED caseyr98625 2 09 Dec 2010, 06:26
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic My GMAT Journey mhasan 17 30 Aug 2010, 02:07
My GMAT journey financeguy 5 16 Oct 2007, 23:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

My GMAT journey and your inputs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 59 posts ] 

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.