Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT journey begins

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 59

My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 11:53
Hey all, I am novice in this test. To seek all your guidance, and share my insights, as I walk up to the final test day, I want to write my weekly update on my prep. I have just enrolled myself into MGMAT online class. First week, completing number property (will complete first online CAT within 48 hours), started GMATprep test (did not finish it, got demotivated half way through) and basics of SC. Will keep posting all updates as I move on.

Current Plan overview:
1. Cover all strategy guides of MGMAT
2. GMAT prep
3. OG 12th Ed, Quant Review 2nd Ed

The list will keep adding as I progress. your comments/monitoring will be much appreciated. I am picking up on studies after a long gap, each day after very odd project working hours, at times I might sound stupid, clueless and frustrated, but please bear with me, as I have a long way to go....all I know is I will not give up until I reach there

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 12:00
I will add khanacademy.org to my resource list. Great way to brush up my basics.I have just started algebra, as I sense it to be my weakness so far.

Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 09:49
Took my first prep test. Q550 V590.rough way to start with.but will monitor improvements hereon....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 05:07
This week I am totally focussed on SC.its not as easy as i thought.Apart from MGAMT guide, i am referring to a book by Marian Feild, Improve your Writen English. It is an effective book. I wanted to brush up basics, this book is categorically helping me in understanding all aspects of grammar.I am confidant, that ways, I can move ahead with subject-verb agreement,as currently its not making any sense.Subject is a huge word, classifications are elaborately discussed and explained in this book.I have also started with VIC, strategy guide 2, still to finish the book, before I can start with my practice

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 06:45
Ok 2nd week now. SC from MGMAT foundations verbal making a little more sense than before. Covered Inequality/VIC guides. But what I am missing out on in practice problems. Could not cope up with OG practices, so settling with strategy guides for now. Will start CR tomorrow. Targeted finishing Noun/pronoun/adjectives/verbs by today.Actually not focussing on Sub verb agreement currently, need to get basics brushed up more.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 07:33
On to 3rd week. Really struggling with SC.I dint know until now, that I am ZERO in grammar. Very disturbed knowing that fact. Also, its getting harder and harder every day to cope up with work and study pressure simultaneously.If anyone can, please advise some tips to improve skills on Grammar and then bang SC. Brushed up VIC, did fairly well so far with that. Have 2 more days to clear all grammar doubts. Fighting hard, will not give up.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 01:04
Week 4. Feel an inch of satisfaction, as the magic of MGMAT Verbal Foundation is working. I have gone through the first 5 chapters at least 6-8 times.The sentence break ups are getting clearer and clearer. Have not touched quant in last whole week, was very low on verbal. It paid well. what seemed impossible, now seems achievable.its magical.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 1

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 14:57
This post received
KUDOS
Keep it going sdas! The MGMAT guides are amazing. I found that reading some good literature books helps a lot on grammar.

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 16:29
Hey Mindreko, thanks for that guide. Thats will surely be a good way to practice.I will.BB had recommended in some posts, of some books, which I wish to read as well. Read and understand word by word.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 23:23
Sorry, could not post earlier. Week 5. Finished Word Translation Strategy guide. Also, started making SC flash cards.Anyone like me, who may initially be skeptical about flashcards, God it does wonders.I am still making more, but have already felt the importance and advantages.Taken two one on one office hours with MGMAT instructors, not that it helped immensely in the fundamentals,but honestly, I could gather enough confidence. Thats when I started with flashcards.And so far its been effective. Will take CAT2 within a day or 2 or may be today. Lets see where I stand, after 5 weeks.

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 05:41
All the best.....How was studying word trans....I have Just started reading it!!!!!!!

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 10:33
Prateek, word translation was not as easy a grasp as the other guides. particularly combinatorics/overlapping sets. However, I only went through the guide once,may be 2-3 more run through will clear out doubts. Well, good luck to you too. U referring to only MGMAT?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9411 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 21:56
Expert's post
Good luck!
What is your impression about the MGMAT Class?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 07:27
Hi sdas

Before MGMAT i have read Princeton review,kaplan premier,power score CR,OG..

Kaplan was good book before that i was consistently scoring low.....

And now i have mgmat guide 1,4,5.....Hope this time i am going to get my dream score....

Also in word trans i have reached till chapter 3..very true its difficult and i ahve read each chapter twice.....

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 07:36
Hi BB, the MGMAT guide books are good deal. They cover all basics well. Quant and Verbal both. But that is only the guides. However the classes, particularly, I did not find them very relevant for me. As I think it will best suit folks who have already done their ground work and is only honing skills further. For me, that is not the case.I needed basic brush up in depth. So, my homeworks piled up, as I had to practically self study so far, to clear all basics as quick as possible and then catch up with class. So ideally 3-4 hours of study with the class is insufficient. You best use the Strategy guides - well structured, covering basics (note, I have not reached advanced part 2 yet), and suitable. However, the problems to each chapters are not useful, as I think they could have done better on problem sets after each chapter. But that is only minor feedback of guides, rest I am content with the guide books. The classes, not very useful right now for me. But one good thing, they have "Office Hours", where, my instructor Mark Porath is very efficient in clearing my SC doubts (an area where I need excess improvement). Sessions with Ron are also good enough. So overall, if not class, the resources of MGMAT are phenomenal.Will give detailed outlook after I have completed all guides and classes.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 07:39
Hi Prateek, wish you good luck. I think for Word Translations, I will refer to a few other books.

Director
Director

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 08:13
Hi

you need books for basics or to practice more ques....

I am doing fine with word trans....Reached till ch6....Had trouble with ch 1 and probability though...But when practiced from OG accuracy was fair enough...

Have to wait few more days to test myself in GC diagnostic and GC tests......

More useful links-->

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 10:12
Hi Prateek, I need more books on basics. For Combinatorics especially.Advice if you can. Practices I am not worried now, as I dnt jump on OG currently until I get the basics right.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 10:16
Week 6. Utterly disgusted. Took MGMATCAT2 - Q36 V21.480.I dont know how to explain this. But will review my performance soon and detail.Had a shaky week so far, could not study at all. Project is closing in, just have 84 more days to hand over the project for opening, temperaments running fluid....It is getting harder and harder to focus on studies.But I will regain soon, have to get back on track.I am not fighting a battle, I am only following my heart.Will post at the end of the week.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 155 [1] , given: 57

Re: My GMAT journey begins [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
Before moving to some other book i suggest to read the chapter again, make notes, practice MGMAT problem set...If you dont want to do OG ques then jump to GC forums you will find variety of class ques's.....

If after this you need book then you have 2 options

Kaplan math foundation
and
manhattan math foundation....

Since you are aware of mgmat language you can opt for manhattan........

More useful links-->

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: My GMAT journey begins   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2011, 10:29