Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

my GMAT journey so far..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 10:05
hello everyone,

I would like to start off by saying how wonderful gmatclub is, i have been motivated to give gmat a try by reading such wonderful posts of other people on this forum. My attitude towards GMAT has changed from just being optimistic about scoring good on the test to making damn sure i study my socks off and get the desired score. I have been quietly lurking on this forum for sometime and its has been very helpful. its been a little over two months since i started studying for the gmat. In the start it was just 1 hr of light study everyday of PR cracking the gmat (2009). After finishing the book i took the free PR CAT test to see where i stood and the result was not surprising at all. I scored a 360 Q13 V24 hardly any serious study and scoring a 360 made sense. My quant skills are not very good and DS freaks me out. I got myself OG10 and over a period of one month went through the entire book and solved 70% of all practice questions. I averaged 3-4 hrs everyday and realized that at any given time i was getting 60% questions right for both verbal and Quant. Since my quant was really weak i also got myself Kaplan Gmat Math workbook. Finished that too and decided to takethe manhattan free CAT exam. Scored a 440 Q26 V26, althought i had improved 80 points and was happy i didnt like that fact my quant was still very weak and i was guessing on atleast half of the quant questions. So i decided to take a CAT exam every 10 days and purchsed the 6 manhattan CAT set. Since then i have taken 4 more CATs and the results are as follows.

CAT 1 530 Q39 V25
CAT 2 470 Q29 V27
CAT 3 520 Q35 V26
CAT 4 510 Q28 V32

Although i am happy to be constantly scoring more then 500 in the last two CATs i took, there is been barely any improvement. Three basic problems that i have noticed is that DS is what i find most difficult. Plus i'm still weak in Quant. verbal is improving but i make silly mistakes which im trying to work on. I can see myself doing Good in verbal but i really want to be good at Quant. DS freaks me out and since high school math has always frustrated me. Im sure this has been asked so many times but how do i improve on Quant how do i stop freaking out on DS and making quant frustrate me? what can i do differently so that i can start scoring 600 plus constantly? One big problem is that where i am from GMAT is not big and its really hard to find GMAT related books. I could not get hold of the new edition of Gmat OG or any of the Manhattan
Gmat books. hence i just rely on the OG10 i have and this forum. i tried loads of book stores and couldnt even find the 12th edition of OG or the SC manhattan book. i really don't want to give up on GMAT and i know i can do great if i work even harder. I can allocate as much time as i want to gmat since i am involved in my family business and the timings are flexible. the motivation to do really good in gmat is there..alot of time to study is there..but what im missing is confidence (specially on quant) and resources for GMAT books.
Looking forward to your input guys and thanks a lot in advance :)

p.s sorry if i made any mistakes in the post!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 11:46
This post received
KUDOS
sm0k3rz wrote:
hello everyone,

I would like to start off by saying how wonderful gmatclub is, i have been motivated to give gmat a try by reading such wonderful posts of other people on this forum. My attitude towards GMAT has changed from just being optimistic about scoring good on the test to making damn sure i study my socks off and get the desired score. I have been quietly lurking on this forum for sometime and its has been very helpful. its been a little over two months since i started studying for the gmat. In the start it was just 1 hr of light study everyday of PR cracking the gmat (2009). After finishing the book i took the free PR CAT test to see where i stood and the result was not surprising at all. I scored a 360 Q13 V24 hardly any serious study and scoring a 360 made sense. My quant skills are not very good and DS freaks me out. I got myself OG10 and over a period of one month went through the entire book and solved 70% of all practice questions. I averaged 3-4 hrs everyday and realized that at any given time i was getting 60% questions right for both verbal and Quant. Since my quant was really weak i also got myself Kaplan Gmat Math workbook. Finished that too and decided to takethe manhattan free CAT exam. Scored a 440 Q26 V26, althought i had improved 80 points and was happy i didnt like that fact my quant was still very weak and i was guessing on atleast half of the quant questions. So i decided to take a CAT exam every 10 days and purchsed the 6 manhattan CAT set. Since then i have taken 4 more CATs and the results are as follows.

CAT 1 530 Q39 V25
CAT 2 470 Q29 V27
CAT 3 520 Q35 V26
CAT 4 510 Q28 V32

Although i am happy to be constantly scoring more then 500 in the last two CATs i took, there is been barely any improvement. Three basic problems that i have noticed is that DS is what i find most difficult. Plus i'm still weak in Quant. verbal is improving but i make silly mistakes which im trying to work on. I can see myself doing Good in verbal but i really want to be good at Quant. DS freaks me out and since high school math has always frustrated me. Im sure this has been asked so many times but how do i improve on Quant how do i stop freaking out on DS and making quant frustrate me? what can i do differently so that i can start scoring 600 plus constantly? One big problem is that where i am from GMAT is not big and its really hard to find GMAT related books. I could not get hold of the new edition of Gmat OG or any of the Manhattan
Gmat books. hence i just rely on the OG10 i have and this forum. i tried loads of book stores and couldnt even find the 12th edition of OG or the SC manhattan book. i really don't want to give up on GMAT and i know i can do great if i work even harder. I can allocate as much time as i want to gmat since i am involved in my family business and the timings are flexible. the motivation to do really good in gmat is there..alot of time to study is there..but what im missing is confidence (specially on quant) and resources for GMAT books.
Looking forward to your input guys and thanks a lot in advance :)

p.s sorry if i made any mistakes in the post!!

thanks for the good description.... Keep trying!! :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8210 [1] , given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Try MGMAT Math Foundations if you feel you are still not certain with quant and then you can add on MGMAT number properties and MGMAT Word translations.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
Chin up, your doing just fine!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
You said you can't get ahold of OG or MGMAT books? I'm not sure about their shipping policies, but have you tried ordering from mba.com or manhattangmat.com? What about amazon.com or other international book websites?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 09:06
thanks everyone for the support and suggestions.
yes i did try ordering from manhattangmat.com the shipping rates are insane.. a book costing 23$ ends up being 70$ along with the shipping.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 12:50
try ebay or equivalent and search for e-books. sometimes you can get lucky. I got the OG there....
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 15:44
Sorry for bringing up the old post, I just got spooked because this is almost the exact same boat I am in.. PR prep then on my own/same scores etc.. I thought I was well prepared for Verbal or at least SC .. I just finished a GMATprep2 (Q27, V32) test that knocked (slammed) me back to earth. I'm so frustrated and I see this all the time on the forum but now I wont take these post for granted. I really do feel helpless and even with another few months of prep after this test to hopefully reach 650-700, the adcom is still gonna wonder what the hell happened on that first test (It's 38 hours from now).

Anyone have identical palm veins by chance?

Last edited by jcurry on 21 Aug 2010, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 38

Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 16:11
sm0k3rz
you can download everything from net it is all available(torrents) but that stuff is quite old but might be good for you
Only way to improve your Quant Score is Practice if you don't know how to solve a question see it's explanation if you don't have the explanations with you post here on Gmat club make sure it is from a relevant source at least that way you can try that kind of question any time after knowing the explanation....

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 19:52
I'm finding Nova Math Bible kind of useful (though a bit tedious), but they cover quite a lot topics.. Why not take a glance at it see if it helps improve your foundations.
Manager
Manager

Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 20:17
qweert wrote:
I'm finding Nova Math Bible kind of useful (though a bit tedious), but they cover quite a lot topics.. Why not take a glance at it see if it helps improve your foundations.

My test as stated above is ticking down to the hour, thanks for the advice though. I will probably be purchasing the rest of the MGMAT set (I've done SC already) as soon as I walk out of the testing center. I hate to be a pessimist but it's annoying to have the thing you want most so far out of your reach. With an IQ of 121, I really get pissed off when I can't even make it in the ballpark of a Q43, V42.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8210 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 20:24
Expert's post
Ha-ha. IQ has little to do with GMAT.
I can't find a post by a guy who had a very high IQ but he got his confidence shattered...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: my GMAT journey so far.. [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 20:26
Out of curiosity I looked up the percentile of a 121 IQ (no it's not from an internet test).

Guess what it is.. 91.92% ... GMAT (700 Q43, V42).. ~92%.

:wall

EDIT @bb: I completely understand, it's just extremely frustrating.
Re: my GMAT journey so far..   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2010, 20:26