Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: My GMAT log: Starting at 730, target: 750+ [#permalink]
After taking a GMATPrep test last week, it is amazing to see how much my motivation levels have come up. I have started preparing fairly seriously now.

Preparation status, week1:

Verbal:
MGMAT SC guide: the following chapters
1 - Intro
2 - Grammar, meaning, Concision
3 - Subject verb agreement
4 - Parallelism

Chapters 1, and 2 were somewhat useful, a give an overview for a beginner.
Chapters 3, and 4 are nothing short of awesome. Also completed the questions at the end of the chapters, and the OG lists suggested.

Important takeaway from the OG problems was to remember to read the solutions for all problems (including those that you got right), and checking to see why a particular answer choice is wrong. I feel that this aspect of preparation is almost as important as reading the chapters.

MGMAT SC book definitely looks like a good buy.

Quants:
Starting with MGMAT book 4 (Word translations). Chose to start with this because, Combinatorics, Probability, and Stats are the area that I need the most work.

Completed the following:
1 - Algebraic formulations
2 - Work / Rate problems
3 - Ratios
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
I'm in a similar boat, scoring fairly well (last MGMAT at 760) but having timing issues. All I can say is practice, and get used to skipping problems that take too much time. You CANNOT have 5 minute problems. They will kill you. Its the toughest hurdle for me because I am used to being a good test taker and being able to "think through" most problems. For the GMAT, you can't afford that luxury.

Also, a big one for me is, don't solve DS. Remember, remember, remember you just need to decide if you CAN solve it. This can help shave down time when you realize that actually doing the algebra is a total waste once you know the algebra CAN be done.

I also recommend spending almost all of your verbal study time on SC. Learn the rules, practice and get FAST. This will give you the extra minute or two you need to reread the RC/CR problems. Best of luck, you should get to your goal quickly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The only way to really deal with timing issues is to be able to recognize problem types and difficulty levels, and to know where you stand as soon as you see a question. You need to know which questions you are going to bail out on!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abmyers: I am glad you brought up this point. A test takers worst nightmare goes as follows. You prepare well, know that you are able to score in your target range, and then on the test day you are confronted with one seemingly intractable problem. You take a lot more time on that one question, screwing up the rest of the section. This is a scenario that I am thinking of preparing for.

Based on my GMATPrep1 experience, as well posts from other members on this forum, it seems to me that even with 10-12 questions wrong, you can score in the late 40's (I got Q49 with 12 questiosn wrong). So it might be better to assign a hard limit before which you make your best choice and decide to move on. This "hard limit" could be based on the current Question number, and the time remaining. If you have gained time, perhaps, by solving problems faster than expected you could relax.

I haven't done so yet, but am thinking of having a strict timing chart to follow during the test. Something along the lines of question X by time Y, and keep an eye on it without obsessing about the time. Maybe have 3 or 4 such checks for the quants section.

It could help us psychologically, if we go into the section knowing that there are bound to be a few wrong questions, and that we can still attain our target score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aemelica: Do you mean during the test? If so, I am not sure that is the best thing to do. While identifying problem types, and difficulty levels during your preparation for the test can be beneficial, during the test such attempts at second guessing the exam could be counter productive. You are already challenged for time, and the last thing you want is to waste further time in identifying problems types/dificulty etc. You are better off just solving it. If you cannot solve it, narrow down your choices, make a guess and move on. Besides, if you do believe you have acquired the skill to detect problem difficulty levels to a T, Quants may not be an issue for you after all.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
aemelica wrote:
The only way to really deal with timing issues is to be able to recognize problem types and difficulty levels, and to know where you stand as soon as you see a question. You need to know which questions you are going to bail out on!

Although I wouldn't invest any time in gauging the difficulty level of each question, I would use the first 20 seconds to plan my approach. If it's a particularly devious question, it's okay to use 10 seconds more. However, after 30 seconds, you still don't have a clue, it's best to bail out on that question and invest the 1.5 minutes in other questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So Week-2 of preparation comes to an end. This turned out to be a 60+ hour week at work, leaving little to no time for GMAT Prep during weekdays. Here's what I managed:

Verbal:
MGMAT SC
- Pronouns
- Modifiers (still working through the chapter)
Completed all OG12, and OG Verbal Review 2nd edition questions for pronouns (listed at the end of MGMAT chapters).

Quants:
MGMAT Guide#4, Word translations:
- Combinatorics.
- Did not learn anything new here. Was a good review anyway.

Looks like I am already forgetting stuff from week-1! Note to Self. Stop all new learning at end of week 4. Revise Week1 - Week 4 before moving along.

Based on the current pace, it looks like it might be 8 weeks before I am even done with a one time overview of the basic concepts involved in the GMAT That plus 4 weeks of revision and test taking practice should be sufficient. Exam date seems to be triangulating itself to the second week of May.

Workload at work is not getting any lighter. And I don't want my GMAT prep to get into my enjoyment of Summer. Have a lot of activities planned for that time of the year. All the more incentive to put some effort now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Week-3 Prep status:
Again a very busy week at work. So no prep at all during weekdays last week. Got very little time during the weekend.
Verbal:
MGMAT SC (book 8)
Completed Modifiers / Chapter 6. Yet to work out the problems.

Quants:
No progress in prep.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
I believe that if you have crossed 700+ mark
then it just a matter of concentration and luck how much can you get ...
730-->750+ does not seem to tough
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts