Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT nightmare!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: IE- ESCP - Warwick
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

My GMAT nightmare! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 01:02
Hello guys,

Just came from the test center. From a 560 (V26 Q40) I drop to a 510 (V19!!!!!!! Q43)

I take the thing not so badly, i am telling my self "there has been an accident with the Verbal" but still... All i ask is for a 620 score.

The debrief:

Took my last GMAT end of January 560 a 110 pt increase compared to my first time (450 with really no preparation at all). I moved to Shanghai for my internship. (I was thus working the entire day)

February: no prep, Shanghai nightlife discovery, IELTS registration
March: IELTS taken 7.5, misht be stupid but was unable to start my prep before I got my result. End of the month GMAT registration
Mid-April: I started my prep no earlier as I thought: "A 50 pt increase should be OK in one month" it took me 15 days (1h/day to recover my GMAT former abilities)
May: I started seriously to study, OG 12 ed, All the PS all the SC, OG Verbal I did all the SC and CR, and could see i was clearly improving, mostly in CR. I did a couple of CAT's (Manhattan) the problem is that it always start with the Quant section and after work quite hard to take a full lenght test :-(

4 days ago GMAT prep; 600 (Q47 V25), was really surpised by the score, tough happy because it reflected the score I needed. Why such a high score in quant? I think Manhattan CAT's are tougher in Quant, why still such a low score in Verbal?

2 days before the test; Manhattan CAT, just verbal V32

TEST DATE:

AWA, no clue, but I don't really pay attention to this part

The test center is located at 4 min from my flat by scooter, quite nice! I arrived too early, slept well.

QUANT; started badly, a tough first question that I did answer wrong made me panic a little bit... then very easy and straight forward, I was even thinking "too easy you screw up", I spared 3 min at the end.

VERBAL; I would say normal, jut by the end i paniced as I was waiting the last RC, who came at around question 35... I had to rsh at the end.

I think things are clear, I need to focus on verbal and verbal only. Quant improve by itself by doing CAT and correcting the mistakes. Also I saw all the chinese guy with no decent english of english scoring about 600-700. "Chinese people are good at taking exam", something is missing in my prep, I need to stabilize my Verbal, any suggestion?

SC should be the easiest part of verbal but it's not the case for me, sometimes i just can't identify the patterns... Also I need to enroll to a course with 50 min point increased guaranteed based on my 560, any ideas? I don't believe it's about studying 3-4 month that's gonna help me I believe it is the way of studying...

All advices, recomendations, blames, suggestions are welcome...

The current GMAT looser.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My GMAT nightmare! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 02:13
you seem to lack of the basic concepts. Go through the MGMAT SC a few times and just try to memorize really all concepts. Make notes and small summaries. Also start reading the economist (actively)...
Intern
Intern
Schools: IE- ESCP - Warwick
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: My GMAT nightmare! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 03:10
Does someone already tried GMAT Pill?

- 50 increase or money back, based on the highest score
- Focus on verbal, and the importance of verbal for a good GMAT score
- Teach strategy rather than concepts
- Not recommended for people who lack in math concept, which I am not regarding my Quant score
- 1 month study plan

Anyone?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: My GMAT nightmare! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 10:53
I sign up for Knewton, which also guarantee 50 points improvements...
I think It is good. I just sign up for a program because I want other media(video) to learn.

Gmat Prep: 540(45Q,20V) 5/25/2011
Knewton Diag 490(38Q,22V) 5/28/2011
Knewton 2: 520(32Q;30V) 6/16/2011

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: My GMAT nightmare! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 11:13
GMAT Loser? Trust me I beat you in that.. Just don't give up.. Keep going! Good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT nightmare! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 11:43
Check my debrief for my opinion on GMATPill.
my-gmat-journey-to-590-and-debrief-114331.html

I didn't like it at all. There is no strategy defined for CR and strategy for RC didn't work for me.

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Re: My GMAT nightmare!   [#permalink] 30 May 2011, 11:43