Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

My GMAT plan [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 13:40
(It seems I cannot post links yet so I apologize for the lack of them. I'll edit this post once I am able to)

First, I must say that this forum has made me much more comfortable with taking the GMAT. The member stories are inspiring and the resources (lists/utilities) are amazing.

Background (education/personal):

I'll make this quick. Grade school was spent in a private catholic school that used the time allocated to math for more religion courses. I did not know you could use letters in mathematics until my first day of Algebra in high school. To say I was far behind would be an understatement. With tutoring I tested well enough to enter a CS program but was simply crushed in Calc 2. I transferred the credits to a 2-year school and with one or two more courses I gathered my AA in CIS. I double majored in Social Sciences and Economics. I worked for a couple years and played rugby while traveling for a couple more. Now I'd like to enter a business school.

Preparation

First, I reviewed these forum posts:
    GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices
    Sahil's Grammar Notes.doc
    GMAT Club Test Section
    Basic Mathematical Principles
    Strategy for Picking Numbers on "Number property"
    GMAT Error Log
    New to the Math forum? Please read this first
    Free GMATPrep® Test Preparation Software
    GMAT Score Calculator

I then purchased these books (should arrive shortly) based on the research I did above:
    Foundations of GMAT Math: GMAT Strategy Supplement (8 Guide Instructional Series)
    The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review, 2nd Edition
    Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook
    Number Properties GMAT Strategy Guide, 4th Edition
    The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review
    Sentence Correction GMAT Strategy Guide (Manhattan Gmat Prep Guide)
    The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition
Study Plan

I can dedicate the next 2-3 months to studying.

Week 1 - 2 (before true studying begins):
While I wait for the books to arrive I will take one practice exam from the MBA site to set my base line score and see where I should concentrate my studies (this will quant, obviously...). I will also familiarize myself with the error log and review online math guides.

Month 1 - 2/3:
I really liked the study plan here and plan to follow that taking exams to check my progress along the way.

Well, I think that's about it. If anyone has any further recommendations do let me know.

Cheers,
F

ps Should I start a new thread after I take my baseline test or continue to update this post as I progress?

Last edited by fronds on 27 Sep 2010, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: My GMAT plan [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 14:48
This post received
KUDOS
hi fronds,
here are my 2 cents:
don't attempt the test on mba site (if you haven't done so already) of what i have learnd on these forums and others is these 2 tests are closest thing to real GMAT, and best to take towards the end of you prep.
(if anything try one of the free diagnostic tests from Kaplan etc)
I am personally using the Manhattan guides ( 8 book set) and OG guides 11 and OG verbal/quant guide

you mentioned about working on math skills,
try this website : http://www.khanacademy.org
AMAZING resource, there are lectures starting from 2+2 all the way to college level algebra
he also has solved the entire quant section, this will come in handy towards the end may be.
but for basics watch the developmental math videos (i watched them all, they are only 10 min each, but you will brush up the math skills faster than you think!) speaking from personal experience I have a FineArts background, last I studied math was in grade 11, some 14+ yrs ago , so it will definitely help you out,
Another good gmat related forum is http://www.beatthegmat.com (actually from that forum i found out about this one)
If i remember anything else i will post it,
cheers!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT plan [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 19:35
sounds like you did your homework on this site :) most people ask newb questions but you got a game plan! good luck man !

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: My GMAT plan [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 20:22
You have a great plan,try to stick to plan and keep all of us update about your progress.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT plan [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 07:51
York101 wrote:
hi fronds,
others is these 2 tests are closest thing to real GMAT, and best to take towards the end of you prep.
(if anything try one of the free diagnostic tests from Kaplan etc)

A good idea! I just arrived at a cafe and will take a practice test here and use the score calculator to see where I place. I read your post last night, and thought I commented, and went through the entire geometry section already. That was very helpful, great link!

kissthegmat,shaselai: Thanks! and I'll post back after I finish my first practice test.

aside: I signed up for the gmat question mailing list and answered today's quant question correctly but was completely lost with the CR one. This is quite the tricky test.
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT plan [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 11:52
Just a quick update. My prediction was accurate:
"While I wait for the books to arrive I will take one practice exam to set my base line score and see where I should concentrate my studies (this will quant, obviously...)."
GMAT PowerPrep
Verbal: 41
Quant: 20

I answered (and when I say answered I in no way imply that I knew what I was doing) nearly every DS question incorrectly and the majority of the quant questions were DS. It was quite the stressful experience but I know where to focus my efforts and cannot wait for my books to arrive.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: My GMAT plan [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 11:57
fronds nice to hear from you about your progress. You have a great verbal score on diagnostic test!!

I agree DS is the tricky part on GMAT, you'll get over with this soon.

Yes, on Quant section, first go through the basics and then try gmatclub tests also, those are best designed to achieve 48+ on Math!

Keep all of us update about your progress! Good luck mate with your journey on GMAT!

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 348

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My GMAT plan [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 12:01
Good stuff! I'd recommend that you take the GMAT Prep first to assess your baseline. And also get the Powerscore CR Bible!
Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT plan [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 05:41
kissthegmat wrote:
fronds nice to hear from you about your progress. You have a great verbal score on diagnostic test!!

I agree DS is the tricky part on GMAT, you'll get over with this soon.

Yes, on Quant section, first go through the basics and then try gmatclub tests also, those are best designed to achieve 48+ on Math!

Thanks for the link! I'm brushing up on my basic math right now and committing some formulas to memory again but will certainly head over to the testing center to improve. If I can hit even a 40 quant I will be very, very happy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: My GMAT plan [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 05:40
im finding DS is very tricky too
Re: My GMAT plan   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2010, 05:40