Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Preparation ...advice needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
My GMAT Preparation ...advice needed [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2004, 09:09
Hi,

I am a full time employee and so I cant find much time to work on a lot of problems. So I have not fixed my exam date yet as I wanted to make sure that I am well prepared before I give it. I am studying for two to three hours in the evening soon after work. I am thinking of giving in APRIL. Do you guys think it is enough time to prepare well.

Here are my practice scores until now:
PP1:660 (no preparation and did not even have OG then, But Now I do)
KaplanI:590
ARCOI:660
ArcoII:660.....Never seem to get past this figure in their tests.Maths was hard for me in these tests.......
PR1:600..

I never seem to get past the 660 score until now. So I am kind of worried about this. My main weakness is CR and RC. SC I have improved a lot by joing this forum and practicing a lot of them through Vstudy and GMAT PLUS BOOK 3.

Regarding ARCO what is ur feedback on their tests. I never get to reach the Final 5 to 7 questions and so had to wildly gues on them. But I seem to time the Verbal part well enough. Is the math in ARCO just hard or is it that I am lacking in that skill too now. If the ARCO tests were easy then I think I have to concentrate on the MATHS also Then. Please Advice
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2004, 12:04
I thought Arco tests were even tougher than Kaplan. If you really want to give all the Arco/Kaplan tests, do make sure to leave a few PR tests in the end .. The confidence matters a lot in the final test. I had kept 2 PR tests for the last day .. and that helped my confidence a whole lot.

I also work full time .. and I had around 1 1/2 months of prep before my exam. 2-3 hrs a day till April should be sufficient for you. Try to practise with some real tests .. I know evening is a tough time for getting the tests .. but what I generally did was skipped the essays as I figured that a long day at office would be more than sufficient to sap my energy as the essays do! :) Even then I couldnt do a whole lot of tests on weekdays .. So I scheduled the test just after a long weekend .. (President's day) .. so I got an extra day off from work on monday to prepare .. I solved almost 8 CAT tests in these 3 days as getting these tests in the evening after a full day's work is tough to manage.

As far as improving your test scores goes .. try to find your weak spots .. (mine was verbal .. especially managing time in RC ) and work hard on those aspects .. For RC and CR try to read actively .. try to find the purpose of the passage as most books suggest .. and try to relate the sentences to the main theme always .. that increases your focus .. For SC there are a few good grammar books - Elements of Style and College Handbook .. and websites like this and sentencecorrection.com etc ..

hope this helps.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2162

Kudos [?]: 7637 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Preparation ...advice needed [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2004, 20:26
Expert's post
monarc wrote:
Hi,

I am a full time employee and so I cant find much time to work on a lot of problems. So I have not fixed my exam date yet as I wanted to make sure that I am well prepared before I give it. I am studying for two to three hours in the evening soon after work. I am thinking of giving in APRIL. Do you guys think it is enough time to prepare well.

Here are my practice scores until now:
PP1:660 (no preparation and did not even have OG then, But Now I do)
KaplanI:590
ARCOI:660
ArcoII:660.....Never seem to get past this figure in their tests.Maths was hard for me in these tests.......
PR1:600..

I never seem to get past the 660 score until now. So I am kind of worried about this. My main weakness is CR and RC. SC I have improved a lot by joing this forum and practicing a lot of them through Vstudy and GMAT PLUS BOOK 3.

Regarding ARCO what is ur feedback on their tests. I never get to reach the Final 5 to 7 questions and so had to wildly gues on them. But I seem to time the Verbal part well enough. Is the math in ARCO just hard or is it that I am lacking in that skill too now. If the ARCO tests were easy then I think I have to concentrate on the MATHS also Then. Please Advice

I would not worry about ARCO much - the tests are too much different from the real stuff.

-=-

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: My GMAT Preparation ...advice needed   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2004, 20:26