Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 20:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
As mentioned before I have now drafted a study plan, which is a customized version of study plans bb put together.

Now my target is 750+, which definitely sound ridiculous based on my previous score 590 (48Q, 25V) in Nov 2010. But after thinking for a while, I made a decision that I will work on GMAT with perseverance until I knock it down completely. This obviously means that I have to work a lot on verbal section of GMAT.

As of today my tentative date for GMAT is end of Sept 1st week, and below study plan ends by that time. Nevertheless, I am keeping the date open until I get a 750+ score on the CAT tests.

I currently work only through Mon-Thursday, so I am going to give myself 20-25 hrs of GMAT study hrs/week, with an additional 20 hrs/week for GMAT Fiction/Wall Street Journal/Economist reading.

While reading Fiction, I am going to maintain a book to log the definitions of the words for which I am not familiar. While doing OG and GMAT Club’s Test Practice problems I will maintain error logs.

My material is going to be
1. MGMAT 8 books & MGMAT IR(pre-ordered)
2. GMAT Clubs Forums
3. Math Resources on GMATClub, especially notes
4. GMAT Club's Verbal Resources, especially notes
5. GMAT 12th & 13th Editions OG, GMAT verbal 2 and GMAT Quant 2
6. GMAT Club’s Tests

CAT Tests
1. GMATPrep tests
2. MGMAT 6 Tests
3. Kaplan 4 Tests

Below is the schedule draft and I will put together a calendar after I get reviews and feedbacks.

April 3rd week:
GMAT Study: GMAT Club Grammar book
GMAT Fiction: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck & Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
April 4th week:
GMAT Study: GMAT Club Grammar book & GMAT Club's Verbal Resources
GMAT Fiction: To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee

Through the months of May and June I will participate actively in GMAT Club Verbal Forums
May 1st week:
GMAT Study: MGMAT SC & OG Problems
GMAT Fiction: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
May 2nd week:
GMAT Study: MGMAT CR & OG Problems
GMAT Fiction: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values (P.S.) -
May 3rd week:
GMAT Study: MGMAT RC & OG Problems
GMAT Fiction: The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand -
May 4th week, June 1st week, June 2nd week: India vacation
I will make sure I retain what I had already completed by reviewing Grammar Book and MGMAT SC, CR, RC frequently and visiting GMAT Club Verbal Forums during these days. I will also try to complete The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand & Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand as time permits
June 3rd week:
GMAT Study: GMAT Club's Verbal Resources & Verbal Review of MGMAT Guides after the vacation
GMAT Fiction: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck -
June 4th week: These tests will be timed
GMAT Study: GMAT Club Verbal Tests

Through the month of July I will participate actively in GMAT Club Math Forums
July 1st week:
GMAT Study: MGMAT Math 1 , 2 & 3 OG Problems
GMAT Fiction: Shogun by James Clavell
July 2nd week:
GMAT Study: MGMAT Math 4 & 5 & OG Problems
GMAT Fiction: Shogun by James Clavell
July 3rd week:
GMAT Study: Math Resources on GMATClub & Review of MGMAT Guides
July 4th week: These tests will be timed
GMAT Study: GMAT Club Math Tests

August: As bb mentioned in the plans, this month will be spent to give full length tests and to review error logs , spending time on weaknesses and timing strategies
August 1st week:
GMAT Study: Kaplan CAT 1 & 2
August 2nd week:
GMAT Study: Kaplan CAT 1 & 2
August 3rd week:
GMAT Study: MGMAT CAT 1 & 2
August 4th week:
GMAT Study: MGMAT CAT 3 & 4
August 5th week:
GMAT Study: MGMAT CAT 5 & 6
Sept 1st week:
GMAT Study: GMATPrep CAT 1 & 2
Sept 2nd week:
Tentative GMAT

Please review and provide a feedback on my plan and especially please help me clear the concerns below
• Why I have MGMAT Guides in materials is because I have them from my previous test. Is my material sufficient? Any other recommendations are appreciated
• bb’s suggested study plan as well as others calendars have Quant first, but because of my India vacation and my confidence in Quant, I wanted to start with Verbal. Please let me if this is ok?
• Instead of doing specific problems from OG as per MGMAT Guides after each SC, CR, RC books, Is it going to be beneficial if I do OG Problems after I completely prepare for entire verbal section,? I have a similar question for Quant?
• Should I time even the OG Questions? Currently I am thinking of timing only the GMAT Club tests and obviously CAT tests.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
Books:Have you bought OG 13? If not, you should buy GMAT additional question pack 1 for $25 for 400 never seen questions on mba.com. OG 13 only adds 200 new questions.
I think that you have had enough material to study.

Quant: Although you are confident in quant, I think you should do a diagnosis test so that you could know your current position. Basing on the result, you can adjust your plan.

Verbal:Instead of doing specific problems from OG as per MGMAT Guides after each SC, CR, RC books, Is it going to be beneficial if I do OG Problems after I completely prepare for entire verbal section,? I have a similar question for Quant?

It depends.. If you have much trouble in verbal, I think you should do questions at the end of each chapter before moving on. If you know almost all theory, doing OG from beginning will test your overall skills and will provide you chances to review mistakes.

Others:Should I time even the OG Questions? Currently I am thinking of timing only the GMAT Club tests and obviously CAT tests.

Accuracy first, timing later... The more you do, the more you will be accustomed to the pattern of solving problems, leading to higher speed.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 09:20
I just ordered OG 13 yesterday but its not yet shipped. I can still cancel it and buy GMAT additional pack.
Why I thought of buying it is because of the new IR section. I know IR section not evaluated for admissions but based on bb comment in Amazon, I ordered it. Is MGMAT IR going to be sufficient?

Thanks for the suggestion on Diagnostic test, I was also more leaning towards Diagnostic test to get the current position.
As of now I vaguely remember the concepts, so I will try to brush up a little this week and will take a test this weekend.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
srikirs007 wrote:
Please review and provide a feedback on my plan and especially please help me clear the concerns below
• Why I have MGMAT Guides in materials is because I have them from my previous test. Is my material sufficient? Any other recommendations are appreciated
• bb’s suggested study plan as well as others calendars have Quant first, but because of my India vacation and my confidence in Quant, I wanted to start with Verbal. Please let me if this is ok?
• Instead of doing specific problems from OG as per MGMAT Guides after each SC, CR, RC books, Is it going to be beneficial if I do OG Problems after I completely prepare for entire verbal section,? I have a similar question for Quant?
• Should I time even the OG Questions? Currently I am thinking of timing only the GMAT Club tests and obviously CAT tests.

1. You have sufficient material, but you really need to get OG13 for the integrated reasoning and get a feel for that section. It is important you don't slack on that section.
2. If anything you need to start with verbal. Your quant is high and you need to step the verbal up. Moving your verbal score up will raise your score a lot more than the quant. On the quant keep shoring up your weak areas because the next GMAT you have may just have a bunch of problems that hone your weaknesses and hurt your score.
3. To me it doesn't really matter. Most OG problems are not difficult, but for the verbal section you probably should get to those questions sooner because your score is below average for all test takers.
4. I wouldn't worry too much about timing unless you're seeing that you literally break four minutes each question on these.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 19:38
This post received
KUDOS
srikirs007 wrote:
I just ordered OG 13 yesterday but its not yet shipped. I can still cancel it and buy GMAT additional pack.
Why I thought of buying it is because of the new IR section. I know IR section not evaluated for admissions but based on bb comment in Amazon, I ordered it. Is MGMAT IR going to be sufficient?

Thanks for the suggestion on Diagnostic test, I was also more leaning towards Diagnostic test to get the current position.
As of now I vaguely remember the concepts, so I will try to brush up a little this week and will take a test this weekend.

If you buy Additional Gmat Question pack 1 from mba.com, you still have integrated section so do not worry. What diagnosis test are you going to take?
One thing I notice in your plan is that you put too much time in reading fiction. Reading fiction is OK to me, but you should put less time to do that . If you cram reading fiction in short time (1book/week), what will you get? Furthermore, reading newspaper sometimes give you some knowledge so that you can make educated guess in CR... That's why I prefer reading magazines...

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
hellscream wrote:
If you buy Additional Gmat Question pack 1 from mba.com, you still have integrated section so do not worry. What diagnosis test are you going to take?
One thing I notice in your plan is that you put too much time in reading fiction. Reading fiction is OK to me, but you should put less time to do that . If you cram reading fiction in short time (1book/week), what will you get? Furthermore, reading newspaper sometimes give you some knowledge so that you can make educated guess in CR... That's why I prefer reading magazines...

I don't really see the point about reading material in addition to practicing for the test myself, OP. It's useless, when most of the books are likely ones you don't want to read at all. I guess that may be the point of reading those books, but there won't be any GMAT questions for those books. This especially goes for novels, and I've never seen a fiction reading comprehension passage.

If anyone decides to read additional material, stick to periodicals like The Economist and The Washington Post. Don't be too obsessive about the GMAT. Study hard. Study a lot. But don't go overboard to the point where this test can affect your work performance negatively and ultimately get you fired.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 4

Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 01:36
This post received
KUDOS
Well I am a newbie , but i have read almost every thing about gmat preparations..but havent started it yet :lol: ..
What i have been able to decipher , being a non native , i am too a non native, you should work extensively on verbal part.
for this the strategy imo -
for rc- gmatpill, reading fiction etc(which you are already doing), lsat rc(if you have time)
for sc-powerscore sc(if you have completed manhattan sc)
for cr- Powerscore LSAT LR (if time permits) or Powerscore CR bible
obviously OGs as well
Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Ugrad: Indiana University Kelley School of Business
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 02:08
This post received
KUDOS
My 2 Cents: I would say you can find material more GMAT-like to replace the WSJ. Editorials are often written in a straight-to-the-point kind of way with sentences that only have 1 or 2 main clauses. I'm guessing you're reading this material mostly to improve your SR score, in which case I think you'd be better off with literature that is as complex in structure, not just content. I read Atlas Shrugged doing part of my prep and thought it was comparable to content I've seen on the GMAC materials.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 643 [1] , given: 6

Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 06:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Looks decent - I'd say just be careful about getting burned out. Make sure you study smart, not just study hard.

That's a lot of material there. If you go through all of it very thoroughly - meaning you religiously mark the questions you get wrong and revisit them until you get them consistently correct - you constantly repeat the process in random order, etc.. - you'll realize that by your 3rd month of preparation - this really becomes a mental marathon.

Don't go through all the material just for the sake of going through it - make sure you understand and learn from your mistakes. I'd say if you study really efficiently and effectively, you can get away with 1/3 to 1/2 of the material and still do really well.

So just be careful about fueling the fire now and then pooping out by the time of your exam. Good luck!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [1] , given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
http://www.beatthegmat.com/770-50q-46v- ... 95399.html

Read this.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 12:46
AbhiJ wrote:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/770-50q-46v-its-all-about-your-process-t95399.html

Read this.

One the best posts I have seen so far, given me a new perspective. I will make sure I check on my status and tweak the schedule when needed.

Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 12:57
rollingface wrote:
My 2 Cents: I would say you can find material more GMAT-like to replace the WSJ. Editorials are often written in a straight-to-the-point kind of way with sentences that only have 1 or 2 main clauses. I'm guessing you're reading this material mostly to improve your SR score, in which case I think you'd be better off with literature that is as complex in structure, not just content. I read Atlas Shrugged doing part of my prep and thought it was comparable to content I've seen on the GMAC materials.

You are correct, I am reading GMAT Fiction to improve my SC and RC sections. I am almost done with of the mice and men. I am following the GMAT Fiction post, any suggestions on material more like GMAT is appreciated

Intern
Intern

Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 13:02
novanative wrote:
hellscream wrote:

I don't really see the point about reading material in addition to practicing for the test myself, OP. It's useless, when most of the books are likely ones you don't want to read at all. I guess that may be the point of reading those books, but there won't be any GMAT questions for those books. This especially goes for novels, and I've never seen a fiction reading comprehension passage.

If anyone decides to read additional material, stick to periodicals like The Economist and The Washington Post. Don't be too obsessive about the GMAT. Study hard. Study a lot. But don't go overboard to the point where this test can affect your work performance negatively and ultimately get you fired.

Point taken, one thing I wanted to add is that I always wanted to take up the habit of reading for pleasure. So I included the reading to my GMAT Schedule during the non-productive times. I will make sure this does not affect my actual study.

Re: My GMAT Schedule: Please review and provide feedback   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2012, 13:02