Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Story

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

My GMAT Story [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 17:05
I took the GMAT (for the 1st time) on December 20th with the goal of scoring a 680+. My MBA applications for the Fall 05 semester were completed at the time.

I received a 630 and almost did not apply at all. I thought about retaking the GMAT and applying for the Fall 06 semester. However, I decided to send in my Fall 05 applications instead before the 2nd round deadline (because the worst thing that could happen is that the MBA admission committees will say no which is the same response I would have gotten if I did not apply at all for the Fall 05 semester).

So I applied to Northwestern (Kellogg), Michigan (Ross), Dartmouth (Tuck), University of Virginia (Darden), Carnegie Mellon (Tepper), and Indiana (Kelley).

I was rejected by Kellogg and Tuck. I was accepted by Kelley & Darden yesterday and Ross today. However I was placed on a waiting list for Tepper.

So my advice to you: Apply to a MBA program even if your GMAT score is not as high as you like!

Last edited by ghangis1 on 18 Mar 2005, 08:18, edited 5 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 18:00
CONGRATS ON YOUR ADMIT.

What's your profile ghangis1?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 19:02
cool.. Congratulations for ur admits to top tier school..
I would also be disparate to know ur profile.. please share..
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 21:24
venksune wrote:
CONGRATS ON YOUR ADMIT.

What's your profile ghangis1?

-63 months of work experience predominantly in sales; established (and experienced minimal success with) 2 sole proprietorships in real estate and the weight loss industry outside of work during those 5 years;

-BA from the University of Texas at Austin in Biology; minor in Business Administration; 3.25/4.0 GPA

-worked part-time throughout college and participated consistently in community service and other extracurricular activities

That's my profile.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 06:58
Yes, that is a good advise. You example is the proof that GMAT is not everything. Congrats!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What type of research did you do? [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 16:47
Did you visit the schools prior to applying? I'm preparing for '06 and I am curious what you used for "why this school" questions. I have almost the exact list of schools (-darden +UT +UNC).
Intern
Intern

Re: What type of research did you do? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2005, 11:34
scraper wrote:
Did you visit the schools prior to applying? I'm preparing for '06 and I am curious what you used for "why this school" questions. I have almost the exact list of schools (-darden +UT +UNC).

I used the "How to Get Into The Top MBA Programs" book as my guide even though it is a little outdated. It definitely helped me with the essay questions and how to make the most of my current credentials.

I did not visit any of the schools. I interviewed with a Kellogg alumnus.

For the "why this school" questions:
In each essay I made it clear why I wanted a MBA, how a MBA from that particular school will help me achieve my goals quicker, etcetera.

For example, I mention how Darden’s case method of instruction will help me solve complex problems for companies in the marketplace as a consultant after business school... how Tuck's Cohen Leadership Development Program and Leadership Forum will allow me to reach new horizons in both the business world and my community after business school..etc..

Also display what you can bring to table that is different than your future classmates in your essays.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2005, 10:07
Congrats again ghangis1,

i'm sure it would have settled in quite well by now. or do you still go back to check those admit emails just to make sure that it's still you. :-D

I'd like to know from you perspective what you think were your strong points in all these schools? IOW what do you think got you the admits?

It's not over until it's OVER!

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2005, 16:41
kwasi7 wrote:
Congrats again ghangis1,

i'm sure it would have settled in quite well by now. or do you still go back to check those admit emails just to make sure that it's still you. :-D

I'd like to know from you perspective what you think were your strong points in all these schools? IOW what do you think got you the admits?

Well my whole application package was strong overall (I believe). My GMAT score fell within Darden's and Kelley's 80% range and was very close in regards to MI. In other words, MI (Ross) 80% GMAT score range for the class of 06 was a 640-700+.

I spent a lot of time on my essays. Your essays are very significant because they allow you to market yourself to the admission committees.

-My recommendations were good as well (I believe).
-My grades in college quantitative courses were very good.
-My dedication to my community was outstanding.
-My work and entrepreneurial experience was good as well.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 01:18
Thanks and i think the strength of your application is not just your belief but is quite evident.

Anyway have you decided whick program you'll be attending?

It's not over until it's OVER!

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 04:28
kwasi7 wrote:
Thanks and i think the strength of your application is not just your belief but is quite evident.

Anyway have you decided whick program you'll be attending?

Well I have decided to attend Michigan (Ross) this upcoming Fall! Go Blue!
  [#permalink] 24 Mar 2005, 04:28