Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 04 May 2015, 16:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT study plan - please advise :)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My GMAT study plan - please advise :) [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 02:36
Hello,

First, thanks for supporting this amazing forum! Keep up the good work! :)

I just got my Bachelor’s degree and I’m now interested to apply for a Master’s degree program abroad. I’m a non-native speaker, but I guess my English is rather fluent. I’ve always been quite good in math, but should definitely revise some basics. I haven’t done any GMAT prep tests yet – guess I’m a bit scared to do that... :) At the actual thing, I would like to score about 650 – 700.

I am planning to take the GMAT at the beginning January 2012 – so I would have approximately four month available for preparation – OK? I’m working two times a week, but besides that I’m completely free to study. I’m planning to spend about 5 – 8 hours a day, four or five times a week, for independent studying.

I’ve already bought the three OGs and just ordered the eight MGMAT guides. In addition, my friend could lend me the Kaplan Math Workbook – but I guess I already have a plenty of studying to do with the OGs and the MGMATs, so maybe I should leave the Kaplan?

I’ve heard great things about the Power Score books too, especially the CR – should I add this to my reading list as well?

Thank you so much in advance! :-D

Ada
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 13

Re: My GMAT study plan - please advise :) [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 02:52
I think you should be okay with the material you have listed :) Manhattan books are quite comprehensive, and provide a detailed, conceptual coverage. I wont set too much time/effort for Kaplan Math book..may be after you are done with OG and Manhattan ( including some very good questions in the online question bank that you will get access to with your purchase.)
I didnt/couldnt put Manhattan CR strategy to good use.. (it bases itself on diagraming) And that's when i switched to Powerscore CR. I liked the book..it gives a very good coverage of all types of questions etc. I think , since you have already ordered Manhattn CR, go through it, do all practie questions, and i f you do think you require more training then go for powerscore.
Take a GMAT Prep test soon..the earlier you know what your weaknesses are, the better. I always thought Maths would kill me, and Verbal would be a smooth ride.. my diagnostic showed me otherwise..and I made it a point to be thorough with verbal, and gave it as much time , if not more.
Last piece of advice: Time flies! Try and stick to a schedule..keep enough buffer.. pretty soon the 4 months would be over :) Well, mine did, and I cant believe am so close to test day now :)
Good luck..:)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My GMAT study plan - please advise :) [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 03:17
Thank you so much for your response and helpful tips!

I guess I will drop the Kaplan then – unless I get extremely ambitious or just bored in the end! :-D

I will take your word and stick to the eight MGMAT books first and later buy the Powerscore CR if needed. And I’ll take the prep test soon – God I’m terrified! – but as you said, I guess it’s essential to acknowledge one’s weaknesses as soon as possible.

About the time, I’m curious – How long do people usually prepare for GMAT, is there a some kind of average? I’m starting to believe that the four months I originally planned isn’t nearly enough!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 13

Re: My GMAT study plan - please advise :) [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 03:21
only 17 % of test takers apparently spend more than 10 weeks. (see below)
4 months on an average is really and completely sufficient :) Just use it well!

go through this link:
gmat-study-plan-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?fl=menu

answers many questions about average prep time/no. of hours etc. and good tips to build a nice study plan :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: My GMAT study plan - please advise :) [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 21:00
2-3 months prep for 2 hr/day is adequate prep i think
Re: My GMAT study plan - please advise :)   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2012, 21:00