Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT target is 700+. Am I good to go for offcial GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

My GMAT target is 700+. Am I good to go for offcial GMAT? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 23:14
I just completed the kaplan online practice test 1 (kaplan GMAT premier live), and scored 660. How good is this? and how does this score resemble the actual GMAT? What can I expect?

My score details are as follows:
Overall: 660 (86 Percentile)

Quantitative : 46 (3 incorrect)(managed to spare 30 min)
Quantitative Percentile: 96
Verbal: 37 (13 incorrect out of 41)(managed to spare 10 min)
Verbal Percentile: 84

I got 13 wrong answers in verbal part, but still the verbal score is 37. Is that a correct score?

Am i in good shape to go for real exam?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1392 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT target is 700+. Am I good to go for offcial GMAT? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 23:41
chandrashekar wrote:
I just completed the kaplan online practice test 1 (kaplan GMAT premier live), and scored 660. How good is this? and how does this score resemble the actual GMAT? What can I expect?

My score details are as follows:
Overall: 660 (86 Percentile)

Quantitative : 46 (3 incorrect)(managed to spare 30 min)
Quantitative Percentile: 96
Verbal: 37 (13 incorrect out of 41)(managed to spare 10 min)
Verbal Percentile: 84

I got 13 wrong answers in verbal part, but still the verbal score is 37. Is that a correct score?

Am i in good shape to go for real exam?

A 660 is a pretty good score, but to really assess your score you should take the GMAT Prep Exam from the official website, since the GMAT Prep uses the same scoring algorithm.

The number of questions right or wrong is less important than the score range of the questions you got wrong.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: My GMAT target is 700+. Am I good to go for offcial GMAT? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 03:02
Expert's post
Assuming that you have studied and prepared adequately for the exam, it seems that you're in decent shape. However, I do agree with whiplash2411. The best predictor of your actual performance is the GMATPrep. It's also the best test preparation, in terms of CAT practice.

And make sure to take the test under the same conditions as the real thing. That means a computer desk and chair, timed conditions with breaks, a quiet atmosphere, and (ideally) use a test simulation booklet and pen. I would even recommend wearing what you will have on during the actual test! Practice tests in a t-shirt, shorts, and no shoes, for instance, is a little too comfortable.

From what I understand, though, the verbal score decreases rather quickly. If you answer incorrectly the experimental questions, then no big deal. However, I don't think that test prep companies (Manhattan, Kaplan, Princeton, etc.) incorporate experimental questions into their CAT simulations. Again, though, the previous post makes a good point about the algorithm.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT target is 700+. Am I good to go for offcial GMAT? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 17:29
Expert's post
Hi Chandra,

Congrats on a good score! Kaplan stands by the accuracy of its tests, but ultimately, practice test from any source (even the GMATprep tests) are unreliable. I would definitely take two or three more tests; in addition to giving you a more accurate measure of your baseline score, you'll be able to practice your Kaplan methods and grow more confident with all of the question types you'll face on Test Day.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: My GMAT target is 700+. Am I good to go for offcial GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 05:00
Hello,
Thanks for your advise.

I have taken some more practice tests and here are the scores. I need your suggestions to improve my score to cross the 700 line.

26-12-2010 kaplan practice Test 2 ( Kaplan Live): 580 (Q:40 V:24)

27-12-2010 GMAT Prep 1: 590 (Q:49 V:22)

29-12-2010 kaplan practice Test 3 ( Kaplan Live): 600 (Q:41 V:27)

30-12-2010 Princeton Review Free Practice Test : 610 (Q:43 V:31)

03-12-2010 Knewton Free Practice Test :610 (Q:46 V:27)

05-12-2010 GMAT Prep 1: (Reinstalled) :680 (Q:48 V:35)

05-12-2010 Platinum GMAT :660 (Q:50 V:31)

I'm using the following
Powerscore SC bible for SC
Powerscore Cr Bible for CR
Kaplan verbal workbook
Kaplan verbal foundations
GMAT official guide 12th edition
Official guide verbal review
Official guide quant review
I'm reading the great gatsby .
Compared to my previous official score , 560 (Q:49 V: 20) I'm improved. But still I need to develop my verbal skills. Appreciate any valuable suggestions to get 700+ score.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Wealth Management
WE 2: Structured Finance
WE 3: Private Equity

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT target is 700+. Am I good to go for offcial GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 06:29
The practice tests should break down which questions you are getting wrong, and you can cross compare which ones happen most often. I would take a close look for any patterns and focus your efforts on those areas.

Getting past 700 requires you learn where your weaknesses are, take the time to figure that out and then approach it with a plan to improve.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: My GMAT target is 700+. Am I good to go for offcial GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 10:56
you are in a good shape!! if you want to gain your score and get 700+ you can be sure you have a good starting position...try to work on the verbal section and forcus on your weaken parts.
good luck!!
Re: My GMAT target is 700+. Am I good to go for offcial GMAT?   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2011, 10:56