Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Testing Experience (720)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 8

My GMAT Testing Experience (720) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 15:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey guys,

I've been following this forum for a while now and have learned a lot from it so I thought I would give back by sharing some of my experiences.

I first started my studies about 4 months ago - my original plan was to do Kaplan Premiere to brush up on fundamentals, then go straight to the OG problems (OG plus supplemental guides).

I studied half-assedly for a month, finished Kaplan premiere, and found that I still had a lot of difficulty with the OG problems. My rude awakening came when I attempted a free MGMAT CAT and scored a 630. Given that my goal was 700+, I knew I needed to revamp my approach.

I then enrolled in MGMAT's live course, and that was the turning point for me. I read all of 8 of the books, did all the "homework" and attended all the classes. In addition to the Live/Online courses, MGMAT provides 8 books, the 3 OG's, online labs, 6 CATS, endless question banks, timer, official gmat notepad/pen among other resources.

If you don't have time time to read all 8 books, I highly recommend the MGMAT number properties, MGMAT word translations, MGMAT equations/VICS and MGMAT sentence correction books. If you're not in a rush to write (I was in a huge rush and had to write less than 2 weeks after the course ended), and are strapped for cash, and have the discipline to self-study, then I would recommend just buying the 8 books and going at your own pace. The course itself does not add a ton of value beyond what's in the books, but it provides structure and discipline.

Because I didn't have a month or more to practice after the course ends (like most people who take the course do), I started doing a practice CAT every weekend a month and a half before the exam. As a result, my scores were understated because I hadn't learned all the material yet, but it was important for me to get a "feel" for the test and get my timing down - something I struggled with immensely at first.

I can not stress enough how important it is to manage your timing. Being able to identify within the first 30 seconds whether you are "comfortable" with a question and whether it is worth investing extra time is of extreme importance, and I honestly think that learning how to effectively "manage timing" on the test will contribute exponentially more to your final score than those extra few weeks of studying material.

One thing I would note is that I personally found the MGMAT practice CATS to be much more difficult than the real thing, especially in quant. On my second CAT, I scored 640 on MGMAT and then the next weekend I scored 690 on GMATPREP. Go figure. When it was time to write the test, I was scoring 700 in both mgmat and gmatprep, typically 45-47 in quant and 40-41 in verbal.

On the actual test, I managed to score 720, but what was most surprising was that I somehow managed a 49 in quant and a 38 in verbal! Totally the opposite of what I was expecting. I felt I got royally screwed on the verbal due to some really tough reading comp passages with several global inference questions thrown in for good measure. I probably got lucky on the math side however, so I'll take it!

Anyway, that was my experience for what it's worth... I hope some of you took something away from it.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

Re: My GMAT Testing Experience (720) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 16:45
Congratulations. It is great to get 7 huh.
I totally agree with you on MGMAT books. I am taking veritas classes but I went thru all the MGMAT books. It improved my math from 46 to 49 in practice CAT. Taking GMAT in December.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9398 [0], given: 3696

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Testing Experience (720) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 19:04
Expert's post
:) - Congratulations!
Fantastic job! For hHow long have you been taking the MGMAT course?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: My GMAT Testing Experience (720) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 19:36
bb wrote:

Thanks BB, your many posts (which directed me to other helpful posts) along the way were very helpful.

The MGMAT course is 9 weeks long in duration, and I took just under 2 weeks after the course ended to get my timing down and fine tune.

I highly recommend it for anyone who is dead serious about getting a 700+ for a top 10 MBA.

I studied by myself with Kaplan Premiere before the course, and to me there was no comparison.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9398 [0], given: 3696

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Testing Experience (720) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 19:40
Expert's post
Blayze wrote:
bb wrote:

Thanks BB, your many posts (which directed me to other helpful posts) along the way were very helpful.

The MGMAT course is 9 weeks long in duration, and I took just under 2 weeks after the course ended to get my timing down and fine tune.

I highly recommend it for anyone who is dead serious about getting a 700+ for a top 10 MBA.

I studied by myself with Kaplan Premiere before the course, and to me there was no comparison.

Cool! Thanks for the feedback!
Just as an FYI - here is a MGMAT discount: manhattan-gmat-class-discount-everything-about-mgmat-84213.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: My GMAT Testing Experience (720)   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2009, 19:40