Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My gmat to admit story

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

My gmat to admit story [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 09:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I'm back. If any of you have been wondering as to what had happened with me. Well, several things
1. low gmat :(
2. Shell shocked :shock:
3. Gmat retake :x
4. essays :writer
5. All the above were a pain in the ----. It is no surprise I got operated on the place I sit (now you know which part I am talking about) :sa
6. Admissions :drunk

I am embarrassed to tell my first gmat score - I am equally embarrased to say that my second gmat was still only in the upper 600's. Why a low score? For me standardized tests is a issue. I get tired after the first 75 minutes of the test.

Anyways, my only understanding is that endurance what makes a huge difference. My concepts are fairly ok to touch a 700+. But no endurance and that is the cost I paid. I never took a full length 4 hour test includign AWA. With AWA, I am tired in the middle of a quant section. I always took only quant and verbal.

Well my story is like in the movies - bad start, more complications, a climax and an abrupt happy ending - with admit from Thunderbird and interviews from the remaining 4 appls (including UNC and CMU). I know my essays and overall application is strong. So, I decided to go with what I thought are my strengths and what I know is the weak link (the Gmat ofcourse!)

My 2 cents is that for those who are not applying the same year as they take the GMAT, focus getting a very high GMAt. For those who are doing both the application and the GMAT the same year, look at the overall app. Meaning, take GMAT as early so that you can take it till you think your target is reached. On the app, be sure that you have all that you need - stellar recos, great essays,transcripts and deep research into the programs. I would think that a 750 gmat guy can still focus on Univ of arizona (though their median gmat is 634) if his focus is MIS - because univ of arizona has a great program for that.

My learing is that app should be based on the overall goals. Gmat, essays all need to align to the goals. If you want kellog and marketing, have 700+ gmat and a great app.

My thanks to GMATclub. I think there is a lot of collective learning and great camaraderie. Helped me lot. I have a number of friends to thank and it wont be fair to name only a few of them including the founders of gmatclub.

I wish all of them who are focussed into this gmat/mba goal. You are in the right place to learn. I will be around..more actively from now on if I could be of help to anyone anyway.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 11:05
Hey Venksune, good to see u back..........was curious that u had been absent for a while cos I see once every so often all the members I had interacted with a few months ago, while beginning the quest to tame GMAT.......sorry to hear about ur plight, but hey u DID make it into good schools.........so make sure u r able to sit tight for that LOOOOONG 16 hr flight to begin school........hope to see more of u around!! BTW, I havent seen prolific mathwiz Hallelujah as well.......r u still around :)
cbrf3
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 15:45
Congratulation on your admit to Thunderbird :banana . It is indeed very good news and also getting interviews from CMU and UNC is clearly good signs. I know how much effort you put in this GMAT studying and even though you did not reach your target score, what really matters is to get the admit in the end right? :wink: I'm sure many 700 scorers do not even get accepted to UNC and CMU so having your goals set and strong reasons for pursuing an MBA is the other 50% of the application process. Good to hear that you will be more present but more importantly, come back to tell us more about which school you finally decided to attend

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 19:35
Congratulations on your thunderbird admit Venksune! :cool

From your responses in the forum it is obvious that you know your stuff, but unfortunately that's not what GMAT tests for. It feels more like an endurance test, sort of a mental marathon. But as I have told some of my friends in the past, its not the GMAT that matters but the end goal of getting an MBA from the school of your choice and Thunderbird is a great school, not to forget the interviews at UNC & CMU!

I am very happy for you! You should now share with us your application process! :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 23:09
Venksune:
Congratulations on your success. Regarding GMAT, you did get a decent score second time. We all know that you deserved a 700+ and nobody needs any proof of that. Your posts helped many 700+ scorers and that itself is an ample eveidence of your skills.
Yes, endurance can be the clincher in the end..but honestly speaking, score in high 600's means that you did prove yourself. It was just a matter of luck that you didnt touch 700.. And your first score was obviously a fluke.
We all are proud of you and it's good that you finally came back with your story.
Many a times, I observe that some very regular members suddenly disappear. What generally happens is, I guess, that they dont score as well as they had expected and feel embarassed to come back and tell their story. I can perfectly understand their state of mind but what I would like to tell all those people is that this gmatclub community is like a big large hearted family. There should be no embarassment to share your sorrows or concerns with all of us. Like a family which cares, we can provide solace hope, and better strategies which might make all the difference.
I know this might sound too preachy,but just give one call and you will have lots of voices replying back.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 02:34
Congrats for your admission Venksune and I wish you all the best for the processes you are still in.

I would like to thank you for your great help here at gmatclub and for the tone of your post as well. We (I ?) are really focused on this gmat beast while it is only one brick of the admission wall. But as it is probably the most rational we first imagine that this is the sole part of the app which is potentially under control, but it is not a 100% one... You are one more proof if needed that it is possible to get into a top program without scoring necessarily 790...

One more time congrats :banana: and I hope you will stay around till the intake !

Take care.

Fred
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2005, 22:49
Hey venksune,
Congrats on your admission. I was wondering about you. Wish you all the very best for the future.

Regards
Praveen

Praveen

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2005, 03:19
Venksune,
It's great to hear that the GMAT is behind you too :)
Try not to over analyze your score, and remember the goal.
Besides, in my opinion one of the most important characteristics to have in this quest is perseverance, and you surely got it my friend.

Good luck,
And see you around!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2005, 07:13
Congrats venksune...I also was wondering about your whereabout...Good luck for the future..
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2005, 15:22
Friends,
I am truly moved by the words of encouragement and wishes. Helps me a lot. When I was in the bed for nearly a month with my painful piles operation I always wondered if my endurance was related to the ill health that was before.

All of you were right, atlast somehow I am in a much better shape with atleast one admit and a number of other Univs looking promising. I think from Nov 17th - the first time I took the GMAT (and got a dismal score) to Jan 21st when I got an admit - those two months included GMAT retake, the surgery, essays and interviews. Gosh! time went past real fast and I dont remember to have slept peacefully at all. Too much action - all at the same time.

Anyways, I just seem to have a sigh of relief! I really got exhausted. Now, I decided to move on and now from books on dangling modifiers/Verb tenses, I have books on microeconomics/macro economics and wanted to get ready for the school (makes you feel lot younger when back to school from a long professional life).

I will surely be around more actively and its truly a pleasure to note that I have earned great friends through the club.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: My gmat to admit story [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 13:46
venksune,

Congts to you for your adm to thbird. it is also good thing that you are invited for the interview at CMU(i believe Carnegie Mellon) and UNC-Chaple Hill. both are very good institutions. good luck for the same.

I had few chance to interact with you but those interactions were highly fruitful. since i joined the club, i have been noticing you carefully. i was very impressed from your explanations and postings. everytime i logged in, i was expecting your postings. but, you discontinued suddenly and i was wondering since last cupple of weeks about waht happend to you. Finally, i got you as a prospective thbird student.

do keep on sharing your interview experiances at various unis..

congrts once again and Goodluck buddy...................

MA
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 18:47
Got an admit confirmation from Purdue today.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 18:53
venksune wrote:
Got an admit confirmation from Purdue today.

:musband :woohoo :bouncer Even better Venksune! Krannert is one notch above TB. Keep us update as to where you finally wind up.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 19:31
Hey Venksune,did you get any schol from Purdue?
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 20:12
faizu: I believe that the dean decides between now and july once I send my acceptance. So, i have no idea if i will be considered for a schol. Hopefully I do.

Paul: Thanks for your wishes. you have been supporting me all through. I will never forget my interactions with you. I will continue to be in touch with you for the years to come.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 16:24
Boy!

I don't know how I missed this success story. Better be late than Sorry. Many Congratulation, Venks! you rock! Krannert is a wonderful school.
Finally, the efforts start showing up. I wish all the best to everyone.

take care,
dj
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 20:53
Hi Venksune,

How did u distinguish yourself from other Indian applicants?How realistic I am if I were to apply to hbs/kelloggs in 3rd round?

Thanks,
FH
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2005, 01:37
Thanks DJ. Good to see u again at the club. How's your app experience coming along?

Faizu,
My profile on paper does read - Indian, IT company, Engineer and US experience. I used my Sales and Marketing experience, personal life experiences, Awards/community Acitivities outside work - to distinguish myself. I am also thankful to my recommenders for a stellar reco. Luckily my gmat did have a high quant score and a very high AWA. My verbal was low - but I had a very high TOEFL. My essays proved that I can write well. So, I think, my app was still competitive if you group them all together.

Your GMAT is high and is more than the Avg for HBS/Kellogg. Research well on their curriculum and your pitch on why MBA, why Kellogg/HBS. This essay will make all the difference and make you stand out if you can articulate well. Third round is not a impediment - matter of fact, you can stand out clearly from the group (as the adcom would have already read through a number of apps) if your essays can do the trick.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2005, 12:24
Thanks Venksune for encouraging me :) I was thinking that applying in 3rd round would not serve any purpose. My CMU app will be re-evaluated under the light of new score as i put it on hold.Are my chances bright at CMU?

Thanks,
FH
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2005, 08:23
got an admit from vanderbilt - with $10k per yr merit scholarship.
  [#permalink] 03 Mar 2005, 08:23