Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My gradual improvement to a 700 (Long Post)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My gradual improvement to a 700 (Long Post) [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2005, 15:48
Hi All,

I have perused the topics on gmatclub for a while now but was never actively involved with the site. I think this was a mistake on my part because it is such a good forum for information. In order to give back a little of what I did get from it, I have decided to post a few lines about my journey from my first test (560-Q26, V-41) to my second (600 - Q35, V39) to my latest test (700 - q44, V40) which I took last Friday.

I was interested in applying to schools around this time a year ago and tried to rush through the process without much (if any) studying. I did not end up applying last year for a number of reasons (not the least of which was my shoddy GMAT score). As you can see from my first two scores, you can't rush the process. You really need to put in a certain amount of effort if you are going to tame this beast.

As for my test day:

AWA: In my opinion, I had a difficult analysis of an argument topic since the author's points had a balance of merit to them. Nonetheless, I'd still be pretty surprised if I don't end up with a 6 (I had received 5.5 on my first attempt and 6 on my second).

Quant- The first 5 questions were pretty standard - much like medium bin questions from the OG. The 6th question was a pretty hard combinations question that I think I messed up. My real difficulties came around the 16-24th questions which ranged from extremely easy to hard. It really bummed me out since the easy questions were so blatantly easy that I assumed that I was scoring terribly. That was a big mistake because I let that feeling disrupt my rhythm and confidence for the remainder of the test. My heart was really not in it from there on out.

Verbal - Since I have taken the test three times now, I can tell you that all three times I have had similar verbal sections. This one was no different but since my heart was not in it, I didn't second check any of my answers since I just wanted to finish the exam and go home. I received two boldface questions and 3 RC's. The RC's were all really long passages. My first two attempts at the GMAT, I did the verbal with absolutely no prior studying and scored 41 the first time and 39 the second. This time I had put some prep in and was scoring around 44 on my practice exams (mistakes were always in SC).

Let me first say that my recent score is bitter-sweet. I am happy to have reached the 700 mark but am fairly disappointed with the score based on a couple of solid months of prep. Although I was scoring around 720-740 on PP and Gmatprep I guess a 700 isnтАЩt really out of the scope of what I should have expected. However, I know that on my worst day I should receive a verbal of 42 and on my best day I should be scoring greater than a 47 in quant. The test now leaves me at a point of questioning whether I or not I should take it again. I know that most people will argue against this but I have targeted a few top schools who claim that they like to see a uniform Q-V split >80%. Since quant will undoubtedly be the weak point in my apps, I know that my low GMAT quant will be a glaring weakness. There are still a few months between now and R2 deadlines so IтАЩll keep you all posted if I decide to re-write. Thanks again to everybody who contributes to this site and for those who have yet to write тАУ good luck!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2005, 16:27
Congrats. 700 is a great score. You may want to consider focusing on other components of the application, rather than the GMAT at this point.

All the best in your apps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2005, 10:07
I'm with tkkoh - work on polishing the application! A 700 score is an awesome score.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2005, 16:33
opsguy, a BIG CONGRATS!
your's is a testimony to what hardwork and persistency can achieve! Way to go!
Also, IMHO, a 700 or a 750 wouldn't matter much (apart from the personal satisfaction that you get with the higher score)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2005, 20:46
Thanks everybody. You are probably right -- I should focus on my essays at this point. Out of curiosity, do any of you know how serious schools like Wharton are about seeing a both quant and verbal scores >80th percentile? I've heard that it can be a deal-breaker.
  [#permalink] 31 Oct 2005, 20:46