Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

my journey!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

my journey! [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,
I would like to share my experience of GMAT. Well, I started my course some 8 months back, though with many breaks and many intervals .Its long enough to get you irritated and obsessed with, particularly if you are working and that too in some hot-seat work environment. It all started only after I ordered Manhattan GMAT set books. I ordered this books since I am lazy guy to the core and thought that the value for money will make me pull my socks..
Then I started reading Manhattan SC, which in my opinion is the best Book in this section and continued to read the books, by which I lost interest .I have an attention span of a sparrow. I would easily get diverted if the subject is not concise. I would say these are best, but I just couldnt continue. So, meanwhile, I was building confidence with SC and struggling with CR and left RC without hope. Through a ray of hope, I somehow bumped into GMAT club, understood the importance of POWERSCORE CR bible, and bought one. Reading this book is not as interesting as Manhattan SC but I would say this is the best of its kind. Now, I am doing both SC and CR. RC has always been Hard Nut. It just wouldn’t crack.
2 months before my scheduled exam I saw very good reviews of e-gmat and thought maybe I should check it out. So I started their Free Trail. Coming to conclusion that its smooth for me, I was convinced to buy it. I will leave a tip for you here. I ordered their Online program only after once I was done with the free trail so that I wouldn’t waste for the free material in the bought package. Forgot to mention it’s a time bound course say some 6 months or so. They have 2 major products.
1 Live course
2 online course
I took 2nd one, since i didnt know if could make it to the live course, in which.i believe, there would be fixed time to attend.
I am not sure about this.E-Gmat says folk are more successful with live product.

My course was a recording, in which they include apt animation, accelerating the memory and understanding.
With this course I not only got confidence with SC and CR but also understood that Hard Nut RC was getting softer as I completed the course.
Now comes First Attempt GMAT
Jan 23 – Q48 V35 and AWA 4 IR 3 680
I thought like I was ok once I got unofficial score, considering the fact that I didn’t sleep the whole night before the exam. Though didn’t make up my mind whether to take GMAT again yet then, I clearly understood what anxiousness can do to me. After 15 days I received AWA and IR . Terrible PERFORMANCE!! --> Booking another slot.
Since I have minimal practice with Quant, wanted to improve Quant score. So Practiced more quant than I did Verbal. Practiced MGMAT Practice Tests.
After 2 months gave my second shot.
April 19 –Q 49 V 37 710 AWA WAIT IR WAIT
Only a meager improvement but satisfied.

My advice or My opinion:
Don't have a long prep course. It can get you obsessed and very anxious. Short is sweet.3 - 4 months should do I guess.
Plan properly and efficiently.
Get to know the best prep materials in each section.
Follow GMATClub. They do have very important information like strategies, experiences etc.

That’s my story!
BTW If someone is looking to buy all the material I have. Please let me know.
I reside in Chennai, India.
Materials I have
Manhattan GMAT 8 book Series 4rth edition
Power Score CR Bible.

I expect 6K INR for the material. Please let me know if anyone is interested.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: my journey! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 02:06
Hi Mate

Good stuff.
Can you tell me something about the egmat course was it full course or just verbal which you got from them.
I am considering the egmat but I am already good at SC but I want to get it for CR what do you suggest about that.

Thanks
rakesh[/quote]

Hi Rakesh,
E-GMAT is good prep comp. Their course has honed my skills to extra sharpness I needed to touch 700.
I had all the 3(SC CR RC) + IR.
I wouldn't have been that confident, had it not been for this course.
To sum up, I recommend u take up this course.
Thanks Keerthi.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 59

Re: my journey! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 04:45
I completely second your opinion about EGmat course.
Though I only the SC course so far, online.

My feedback:
Positives
1. Very well laid out topics
2. Sequenced well
3. Prompt response to your doubts and queries
4. Very helpful forum
5. Content is prepared in a placid manner making it easy to understand
6. Conversant topic - easy to remember
7. Most important, their meaning based approach works excellent. It makes you understand the core concepts rather than just mugging them up - this is their best skill

Negatives
1. They just need to do better on their collection of questions
2. Add few more topics

Hope this helps

Tips on CR and RC more detailed will be useful

Cheers

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 66

Re: my journey! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi keerthisaran, thanks for posting this debrief about your experience! I particularly enjoyed how you reinforced the notion that you need to sleep well and be rested for your exam. If you're tired, either because of cramming all night or just nerves, you will underperform on the test. I'm glad you ended up with a nice score and you are satisfied.

Thanks!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: my journey!   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2013, 08:24