Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [3] , given: 1

My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 16:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In advance sorry for my poor english but it is 2 in the morning and I am exhausted, I will try to make it better anytime soon

Good morning/night/evening everyone,

The title says it all, I took my gmat this very day and here is my debrief. During the whole process I was actually looking forward to writing it. Overall I can't really say that I used the forum a lot but I did check the "Share GMAT Experience" almost everyday, I liked the idea of ending it once and for all and these stories enabled me to know how it would feel like. Let me tell you: it is weird... I will now try to describe more precisely my situation and give some advices.

My 'profile'

I am a 20 y.o. student, currently on my last year of an undergraduate program-business engineering-in the best university of my small country. I have never studied a lot, so staying focused for several hours on a regular basis was a challenge.

English : I am a non native (my first language is french) yet, I have lived moreless 6 months in an English-speaking environment (Toronto).

The Gmat ? : I am willing to apply for a master in Switzerland and therefore needed to pass the exam.

My preparation / CAT's taken

Material used:
OG13 - If you don't have it do not even consider taking the GMAT
MGMAT GUIDES 0 to 10 (the whole thing)
|
---- > What is useful : everything but the RC and CR guides IMO. The rest is ok and SC and number properties are must-have.

I started a month ago, as an university student I have almost no class that is mandatory, so I had plenty of time available for the study of the GMAT. At first I was not really involved enough in the process, I studied maybe only 2hours a day despite having the entire 24hours free...This was a mistake, this is cheesy but what is worth doing is worth doing well, and this is particularly true for the gmat, especially since you need to pay $250 for it ...
You should be in or out, but not in between. (I actually studied for a week in holiday last august. It took me 1 week to do what I did in 3 hours in a library last month)

The facts of taking CATS and schedule the exam really help to stay motivated and focused.

First CAT- Two weeks ago GMATPrep (I had done the verbal guides, no quant yet) 680 Q48V35.I was not really pleased by the score and was really exhausted at the end of the test. Taking it on screen is also really different from what I had done on paper.

First CAT VERBAL RETAKE- Last week I had NOT checked the answer of my first cat since I turned my computer off (like a baws) before completion of the review. I really thought I was able of more than 35. So I retook only the verbal and got a .....47 on verbal. I realised the problem, I was good in verbal, but I needed to be fresh when taking the verbal part. Afterwards I concentrated on building my stamina and taking my next cat at the same time in order to get ready in terms of food, sleep, beverage...

Second CAT - 2 days ago 720 Q50V37 Not much to say ... I was much more comfortable with the lenght of the exam. Felt almost capable of studying right after having taken it.

TEST DAY

My test was scheduled at 13:00 - this is important - I was the last one today to take the test, the good thing is that I did not have anyone typing his essay while I took my verbal or quand, I actually was alone for the verbal part which I found very comfortable ! 8-) I hate to be distracted by people's noises.

Arrived early, had my food routine ready, took the test

Essay
- Chinese Burn template : nuff said. (I had already done two awa before cat so I had the template ready in my head.)
    IR
- Really did NOT care about that part : I made sure to waste as little energy as possible, ended with almost 10 minutes remaining

And then the real party started, these are the 150 minutes that determine your score, you need to be ready for them, and confident, I had a really relaxed and laid back attitude, almost cocky. I do think it can be positive to be (over)confident. Well, everyone is different I just knew how my state of mind needed to be in order to perform at my best level.

Quant
- Went ok, my timing strategy was kind of weird, I had the thing written down but I function in a way that just can't be put on paper: I either take 25 seconds or 5 minutes, so I kept checking every 5 minutes or so and was always ahead so I made sure to double check afterwards. I am quite disappointed somehow by my score since the gmat is basically elementary school math problems...Having studied complex math and statistics it feels weird to study what odd numbers are but well.... let's come back to my story : I got 3 questions that were really poorly written, I was not able to figure out what the questions were, it had not happened(me not being able to understant a question) during my prep so it surely explains my 49 (still decent duh)

Verbal
- After my first gmatprep I took a difficult decision => to focus on verbal. I knew I could score 50/51 in quand but they would be of no help if I had a 33 in verbal, so I barely finished the OG13 quant questions, but I did do all the verbal ones and took care to understand how the questions are asked, and how the answers are presented. This is really important, after a while you can smell the traps coming. And in the end it appeared cleverer to take my V from 35 to 40 than my Q 48 to 51, in terms of overall score ! On the actual test the questions were relatively similar to what I had studied. It felt like I had a lot of RC and SC and less CR but I just tried to stay focused throughout the 41 questions and took them one at the time

The score going through the data was pure torture... So I just clicked next and saw.... 730. It was a relief since I had no idea on how well I had performed, yet I felt a bit annoyed by the fact that a 740 would have gotten me 5 more "admission points" at the university of my choice, 5 important points because I have poor academic performances. But in the end the score is decent so I was "happy" <= Also known as the weird feeling I mentioned earlier.

Takeaways/Advices (raw)

>Do it seriously, 100% into it.
>Know your weaknesses, work on them since they will give you the more points for your efforts.
>Get ready in terms of sleeping / eating / drinking routine. This is easily 10% of your test right there.
>Take cats at the same time than that of the test, and practice the above-mentioned routine during them.
>Have this as your alarm on D-DAY yt/watch?v=m0ysMOV8TYU this will get you in that cocky attitude. haha just kidding but I found it really funny because I started the day with a good laugh and had that cocky dumb arrogant mode ON.

I you have any question, please go ahead and ask them !

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR OWN JOURNEY. I know what it is like to work hard and read this section of the forum while eagerly preparing for G-day, keep on going and give it your best shot.

And in the end it might cost a little, but this is ONLY A TEST ... You are not a number ! (but if you want one you should take a look at my 'signature')

- Labor omnia vincit improbus -

Last edited by fonda1957 on 26 Dec 2013, 16:18, edited 4 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 05:12
good show!

best of luck on your application.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 09:30
congratz man! How did you raise your verbal score to 40? especially CR and RC?

PS: are you studying at Solvay? and are you going to apply for St Gallen? :P
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.59
WE: Project Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 12:40
Cool to see some guys from Belgium doing a GMAT as well! I have my test planned on the 8th of May :) How is the test center like btw?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 13:11
lamberreke wrote:
Cool to see some guys from Belgium doing a GMAT as well! I have my test planned on the 8th of May :) How is the test center like btw?

The address is the one given by the centre, but make sure to be well on time since the door is locked, so you have pretty much to wait for someone to enter/leave to get in. You might want to knock or whatever if no one is coming ...

The center is ok, the offices inside the building are in fact really interesting as they host some promising start-ups ! The overall atmosphere is therefore really relax and 'intellectual'. Howerver there isnt any soundproof device in the testing room, which does not look like in the Pearson Vue video. Also, the paper and pen do not work well so you can not erase anything. It isn't much of a problem as you will be provided a sufficient number of them.

There is one important advice I would give to the Belgian test takers and whom it may concern:

Take the test as late as possible ! WHY ? I took the latest slot available for a simple reason : I did not want to be annoyed by others' people noise

-> The idea of having someone typing his or her AWA during the quant or the verbal was just painful to me so I made sure to be the last one to take the test !

btw: If anyone from Belgium is interested in buying the MGMAT set or the OG13 please pm me :) SOLD

Good luck to the both of you

Last edited by fonda1957 on 26 Dec 2013, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 66

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 20:05
Expert's post
Felicitations fonda1957, il y a beaucoup de monde qui pense que tu dois etre anglophone pour bien reussir cet examen. Je suis heureux de voir que tu reussis bien en tant que francophone. Je vais utiliser ton exemple pour mes eleves francophones ici au Quebec! Merci pour les details de ton sejour.

*brief translation*
I just thanked fonda1957 for his debrief and told him that he's an inspiration for non-English speakers (in this case Francophones) who want to take the exam.

-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Felicitations fonda1957, il y a beaucoup de monde qui pense que tu dois etre anglophone pour bien reussir cet examen. Je suis heureux de voir que tu reussis bien en tant que francophone. Je vais utiliser ton exemple pour mes eleves francophones ici au Quebec! Merci pour les details de ton sejour.

*brief translation*
I just thanked fonda1957 for his debrief and told him that he's an inspiration for non-English speakers (in this case Francophones) who want to take the exam.

-Ron

As I mentionned in a PM, the verbal does not really test one's English.

Allow me to explain myself: SC is extremely specific and is not a great indicator of your english knowledge, CR is only about logic.

The only real advantage of native speaker lies in the ability to read quicly the RC and spot the subtle details in the passages. But again, this can be trained by reading a lot of English material (I read the entire "A song of ice and fire" serie, which has nothing to do with sciences nor economics but helped me develop my reading speed and general skills)

My only advice is : YES a great (scored a V47 in a gmatprep) verbal score can be obtained, but you need to be an excellent reader and a quick analytical thinker.

Only solution : read...

And in order to read a lot, read things you are passionate about !

Bien à toi ;)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 190 [1] , given: 66

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
fonda1957 wrote:
VeritasPrepRon wrote:

*brief translation*

-Ron

As I mentionned in a PM, the verbal does not really test one's English.

Allow me to explain myself: SC is extremely specific and is not a great indicator of your english knowledge, CR is only about logic.

The only real advantage of native speaker lies in the ability to read quicly the RC and spot the subtle details in the passages. But again, this can be trained by reading a lot of English material (I read the entire "A song of ice and fire" serie, which has nothing to do with sciences nor economics but helped me develop my reading speed and general skills)

My only advice is : YES a great (scored a V47 in a gmatprep) verbal score can be obtained, but you need to be an excellent reader and a quick analytical thinker.

Only solution : read...

And in order to read a lot, read things you are passionate about !

Bien à toi ;)

I agree but I hear many non-native English speakers mention it as a concern, so I like having examples to illustrate that being an anglophone is not a requirement for a top score. In fact, for those who speak both English and French, French has a lot more rules of grammar to learn and apply, so in a sense they have an advantage on verbal versus students who are used to their whole lives being in English without as much formal structure.

Thanks!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 11:25
lamberreke wrote:

The Brussels test center is not as advertised in the gmat official video test center tour. There is no wall absorbing noise to separate each other.. We dont receive headphones either but ear plug... Erasable scratch board is not convenient to work on at all.. I was really pissed to take this kind of test in such a test taking environment. Ill be retaking the test on may 8th as well ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 please excuse me for any errors in typing
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 08:52
someone's obviously applying to st gallen ;)
Intern
Intern

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 09:36
TheBronx wrote:

You created an account to write that ? :)

Guilty as charged though... I still managed to send my documents the very last day within deadlines and one was missing :| (a problem with my pdf files)
They were kind enough to point it out and gave me the opportunity to send it today !

Are you applying as well ?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 11:31
fonda1957 wrote:
TheBronx wrote:

Guilty as charged though... I still managed to send my documents the very last day within deadlines and one was missing :| (a problem with my pdf files)
They were kind enough to point it out and gave me the opportunity to send it today !

haha i've been meaning to join for a while, i guess seeing your post gave me the impetus i needed!

good for you man, st gallen looks brilliant. are you applying to any other unis?

not this year mate, i still have more than two years of my undergrad left; i just want to get this GMAT rubbish out of the way :m16
Intern
Intern

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 06:30
TheBronx wrote:
fonda1957 wrote:
TheBronx wrote:

haha i've been meaning to join for a while, i guess seeing your post gave me the impetus i needed!

good for you man, st gallen looks brilliant. are you applying to any other unis?

not this year mate, i still have more than two years of my undergrad left; i just want to get this GMAT rubbish out of the way :m16

As much as I want to study abroad, I have not found any other universities that really interest me in terms of situation/curriculum/tuition fees etc. So I have taken the 'bet' to apply only for the SiM programme. Despite knowing that it might be the hardest one to get in :roll:
If I am not admitted (which is very likely), I might take a gap year and apply again next year for SiM and other programmes in order to have "plan b's".

Good luck on your study of the GMAT

Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling   [#permalink] 05 May 2013, 06:30