Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My journey to 760 - keep updated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
My journey to 760 - keep updated [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 00:37
Hey guys,
after two weeks of loose studying and disappointing results, I decided yesterday night, a bit drunk though, to restructure my attempts and formulate my own map to master the only evil obstacle between me and my desired graduate program. I hope that formalizing a clearcut strategy will help me to study consistently and result in considerable improvements in my score. What I have done so far: I flew through all MGMAT books and the SC Aristotle Prep. I merely did any practice questions in any of that books. I have not taken one of the GMATPrep tests yet, but I will do so today.

Please evaluate my formalized strategy. Here is my profile:
    23 male non native english speaker
    below average english grades in high school
    since high school, I stayed in various english speaking countries
    my undergraduate program is quantitative economics taught completely in english
    the exams have a multiple choice format, sometime asking for the "rightes" answer of right answers, so I feel that I am used to the GMAT format
    my view: I am strong in the quantitative part because I like quizzes and tests, but also due to my quantitative background. I am also strong in reading fast and do not get significantly confused by unknown words. I am particularly weak in grammar. I hated grammar back in school and I still do hate it. The mac word correction prevents me from doing several typo mistakes. Surprisingly, I was rated full points for the TOEFL writing section.

And now comes my formalized strategy:
Quote:
MY GMAT JOURNEY TO ≥760 POINTS

!!! Start with search for average GMAT scores of your desired graduate programs and then do the first GMATPrep test !!!
It is utterly important that you do the first test before you actually start studying for the GMAT because it will show you how necessary studying for the GMAT is to score at least equal to the average score of your desired programs.

Build foundations - Verbal
Sentence Correction
• Go through the GMATClub basic grammar book
• Make extensive summary of the MGMAT Guide and do the corresponding questions. Do all MGMAT question in the guide to foster your understanding.
• Go through Aristotle Sentence Correction Grail and Veritas Prep SC, add to extensive MGMAT Summary
• Check for GMAT Club post for Advanced SC questions which are not covered by the MGMAT and find study material regarding that advanced questions.
• Internalize your own SC checklist

Reading Comprehension
• Make extensive summary of the MGMAT Guide and do the corresponding questions, also make some trial questions here but vary the strategy consistently. Look what fits you best. Do all MGMAT question in the guide to foster your understanding.
• Go through the RC99 Aristotle Prep, Veritas Prep book and add suggestions to the extensive summary

Critical Reasoning
• Make extensive summary of the MGMAT Guide, also make some trial questions here but vary the strategy consistently. Look what fits you best. Do all MGMAT question in the guide to foster your understanding.
• Go through Veritas Prep books and add suggestions to the extensive summary + Check if you get additional material out of the BANG BANG CR guide

Building foundations – Quantitative
• Go through all quantitative MGMAT books again and make an extensive summary of all concepts. Do the MGMAT questions to foster your understanding of the quantitative subjects. Do one book each day.

NumerP Fractions Equati Wordtr Geome

Building basic question skills – Verbal
Here all sections together. Remember, do not solely focus on one question type a day, but rather vary question types every hour/every two hours. Remember, mark all wrong answers, figure out what you did wrong, after each 20-30 questions. Simply make an error log. Do not consider time as the important factor here, focus more on whether you understand the underlying concepts.

• Do the OG11&12 questions
• Do the OG Verbal guide questions
• Do the RC99 questions

Building basic questions skills – Quantitative
Remember, do not solely focus on one question type a day, but rather vary question types every hour/every two hours. Remember, mark all wrong answers, figure out what you did wrong, after each 20-30 questions. Simply make an error log. Do not consider time as the important factor here, focus more on whether you understand the underlying concepts.

• Do the OG11&12 questions
• Do the OG Verbal guide questions

Building intermediate question skills – Verbal
Same concepts apply here as before, BUT make sure you do find solutions for each question always in time. IF not, mark the question as “out of time”. Do keep track of the “out of time” questions. Try to figure out, if you have a systematic “out of time” problem in one of the question types.

• Do 10**SC/RC/CR questions
PowerScore CR questions
• Do 20 GMATClub tests
• Do 3 MGMATClub tests

Building intermediate question skills – Quantitative
Same concepts apply here as before, BUT make sure you do find solutions for each question always in time. IF not, mark the question as “out of time”. Do keep track of the “out of time” questions. Try to figure out, if you have a systematic “out of time” problem in one of the question types.

• Do 20 GMATClub tests
• Do 3 MGMATClub tests

Building advanced question skills – Both categories
In this stage, you should have a sound ability to attack SC/RC/CR. Do try to refine time skills.

• Do 5 GMATClub tests
• Do 4 MGMAT tests
• Do SC brutal questions i.e. from GMATClub forum & MGMAT
• Do Quant brutal questions

Are you ready for the GMAT? Do the last one of both GMATPrep tests and check if your desired score lies in ±20 points of your actual score.

Good luck!

I have to say here that 760 is not the average score of my desired graduate programs, but rather my own goal to proof myself I can reach the 99% :D

Please feel free to comment my strategy, I am here to learn so don't be shy telling me my plan is bullshit!

All the best,
Marcel
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: My journey to 760 - keep updated [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 03:35
An average plan adhered to rigidly is better than a great plan adhered to halfheartedly. With that being said, your plan is only "bullshit" inasmuch as you neglect to follow it :twisted: - so stick with it.

Best of luck. :-D

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Re: My journey to 760 - keep updated   [#permalink] 02 May 2011, 03:35