Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Journey to a 700 Input APPRECIATED

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: UR Simon School,
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My Journey to a 700 Input APPRECIATED [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 06:26
So it all began in July of last year from a long study abroad trip to Australia and New Zealand. I realized my interest in pursuing an MBA and began my studying journey. Day after day hour after hour I probably put in about 2 hours a day preparing for the GMAT I had scheduled in early October. The resources I used were GMAT 12th edition, Manhattan Sentence Correction, Kaplan GMAT 800 (I was totally lost), and the GMAT Math and Verbal books. After going through those non-stop and taking numerous practice tests I got my practice GMAT up to a 600 which was up from what I began with which was a 530.... I know neither are impressive whatsoever. I was only looking for a 600 because the school I was trying to get into required a 600 for me to get scholarships. So a few more weeks of studying went by and I took the test.
WOW let me tell you what, I have never been so drained and felt so stupid in my life. All my practice and preparation and I get to the test and realize I have no idea what I am doing. I wait for my results on the screen and get an astounding 550 .... my thoughts....( wow I suck and what the hell was I thinking?) I went to my car and sat there thinking about all of the things I did wrong and how I was just not physically and mentally prepared for that test. I decided it was extremely important for me to conquer this test as it is all familiarity and patterns although clearly I had not figured them out yet.... But in order to solve a problem you must first find what you did wrong and here they are: 1. I should have never broken up all of my practice tests into different sessions because it left me totally unprepared mentally when it came to the full 3 and a half hours of the test. 2. MY BIGGEST PROBLEM/ I realized was I was just going through doing a lot of problems and practice tests but never truly analyzing why I got them wrong and what patterns there were.3. I was only shooting for a 600 which isn't very impressive to begin with so when I came on a problem I didn't get I would just be like "oh well, thats tough, hopefully I won't get it on the test"

So now I am back!! After a few months and actually being accepted into the school I want even with my pathetic GMAT score I am back and looking to conquer this test. However, this time I am not going for a 600 I am going for a 700 and putting no timeline on when I must take the test by. My goal is to take it by March or so but I will not take it then if I am not prepared. I have decided to begin analyzing and disecting the test figuring out how and why I got each question wrong that putting on the side and practicing and practicing. I want to be able to completely understand this test and the questions and issues I have. Also this time I believe I am going to be enrolling in a class not sure which one to do yet I've been mostly thinking Kaplan but not sure input would be appreciated. Looking in the $600-$1000 range. Also what do you all think do you have pointers or suggestions on how I should get to my goal? Is there another study guide I should purchase or what? Also great techniques that may have helped you? I AM DETERMINED to do what it takes to get this grade and will not take the test before I am ready so please share your knowledge and help me reach my goal!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: My Journey to a 700 Input APPRECIATED [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 22:08
Hi,

Thanks for sharing with us! I know how it is frustrating not to receive the score you would like to receive but it is definately a booster.

Welcome to the club!

you are on a right path joining our 100k members community.

Please see this threads, they will help you to orient in your GMAT jorney:
Study plan: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301
Best books(review): best-gmat-books-77703.html
All practice tests: all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?highlight=ml502 One of the most realiable tests is GMATprep - download it from mba.com

Gmatclub tests: hardest quantative problems for 48+ score http://gmatclub.com/tests/

On-line courses from different companies: gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html

I would recommend you Knewton, this prep company guarantees 50 points increase or money-back. So, you are in win-win situation. But before buying that course please read the feedbacks following that link.

All the best in you preparation! ;)

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My Journey to a 700 Input APPRECIATED [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 11:29
Thank you sharing your debrief
Re: My Journey to a 700 Input APPRECIATED   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2010, 11:29