Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Kaplan course experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

My Kaplan course experience [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 08:42
Hi, I decided about 2 weeks ago to take the GMAT. Panicked a little, and joined a Kaplan prep course. Fast forward to now-- I've been studying, keeping up with the course material. Doing the quizzes etc. Started to do problems out of their course material. All of this takes so much time! I take about 5-6 hrs/day to study.

I feel my progress is very slow and I don't know if I"m doing things as efficiently as possible. And honestly, my scores are abyssmal to begin with-- I got a 370 on Kaplan Cat 2 (which is a 570 on the gmatestimator)and after studying for another week, I received a lower score than that on Kap Cat 3! I know i'm smarter than that, but I panic and get tired. And obviously I need more practice. I don't know why I"m not progressing.

I took the Kap course hoping it would lead me to constant progress. And-- its not or I'm doing something terribly wrong.

Also, I'm so overwhelmed with all this strategy info on the web, courses to follow etc. I only wanted to look at one method, one course. This one course is taking up so much time-- do I need to buy the OG or Pinceton Review books in addition and tack on more studying hours?!?!

I plan on taking the test Jan6th or very soon after. I have to break 700, so I can possibly get a scholarship at a local school (which is another reason why I took the Kap course). Can I actually do this? Opinions? Suggestions?

Any advice, wisdom is greatly, immensely appreciated
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 09:15
From my experience, I can definitely say that 'too' much information/study materials can only cause confusion and is of no help. I don't know about the Kaplan courses but practicing from the OG is a must.
I will take it one at a time. Start with OG. Work on each problem. Find out areas where I am weak and work on each of them ONE AT A TIME. Sure, you have so many books, strategies etc out on the web...but if you try to take a bite from each, it may not work. Atleast it didn't work for me!
Good Luck with your preparation and test.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 09:41
Hi I am also currently in your same situation, I just got the books today from Amazon and as far as I am starting my preparation I am focusing on single parts of the GMAT, for now egs I have started my preparation on the verbal section particularly on CR, there are plenty of CR sections on this site, as soon as I will see that my hit rate will reach the 90% I ll move one in order to tackle other sections of the test. I am not using yet my time takling a full lenght CAT, I would rather bring my prep before to a certain level in order to touch them . By teh way I hope to sit for the test by the first week of february

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 11:39
OG is a must. I've heard Kaplan instructors don't even tell you that it exists. Its not a bad idea to practice Kaplan math, but for verbal, i would recommend sticking to the OG. The verbal questions you will see on test day will resemble OG questions.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 14:23
Thanks for your responses!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 20:23
Yes, definitely practice with the OG. It's too bad that Kaplan doesn't use it with the class. PR does, and I think they're better for it. The questions get harder as you go through the OG, so work carefully, and do keep track of your errors (there's some great info on this site about error logs).

I would use PR for verbal strategy if you can stomach getting another book, as they're stronger in that area. Lots of people pick and choose strategies from different sources as they see what works for them.

It's rough studying that much each day, but give yourself breaks and eat well, and you'll stay charged up. If you feel mental overload, go for a walk or a run, watch a silly cartoon (Spongebob does it for me!!!), or eat a snack.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2005, 10:27
Thanks Nickelback!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Kaplan course experience [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 08:56
Can I ask a dumb question? What is an OG?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2164

Kudos [?]: 7669 [0], given: 3627

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My Kaplan course experience [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 14:56
Expert's post
ErinS wrote:

OG - The Official Guide for GMAT Review

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: My Kaplan course experience [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 17:27
ErinS wrote:

Official Guide for GMAT review written by GMAC. It's a must have resource.

For OP, i think your best thing to do now is to take a diagnostic test under test conditions and pinpoint what your weak areas are and work on those areas. Overloading on information is never good.

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Re: My Kaplan course experience   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2011, 17:27