Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you guys.

I had another user private message me and he wanted to know how the real GMAT questions compare to those in the Official Guides. I sent him my comments and some other pieces of advice, but I also want to share with everyone else. So here goes:

The Official Guide is the way to go. Focus all your energy and time on questions in these guides the week prior to the test.

The real GMAT quant consists of slight variations and twists on the stuff in the Official Guide. But, again, the fundamentals never change. You need to use the tools that you learn in the Manhattan GMAT guides. With the tools, you take more of a systematic approach to solving problems, which I believe helps immensely. I originally didn't like solving certain problems the way Manhattan GMAT was instructing, but I soon learned how valuable the methods are. The systematic approach gives you confidence in how you are going through each question - the fact that you have a process in place to determine the best answer to the question. This adds a positive layer to the psychological aspect of test-taking.

Another good thing to do on test day (which I failed to mention) was to do some warm-up questions in the Official Guide. I actually spent 2 hours doing this on test-day, since I had the morning free and had to take a long train ride to my testing center. I preferred the afternoon, but everyone has their own opinion on which time they feel best to sit through a 3 1/2 hour test.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good score. Good luck with your applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Math Refresher [#permalink]
trader1 -

You mentioned that you needed to work harder in the quant section. I was wondering if this was due to making careless errors or if you needed a math refresher.

The quant had presented challenges for me because I find that I get stomped on questions that I honest have no idea where to start.

Any recommedations on how to get a refresher in the fundamental math?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Math Refresher [#permalink]
humbled4real wrote:
trader1 -

You mentioned that you needed to work harder in the quant section. I was wondering if this was due to making careless errors or if you needed a math refresher.

The quant had presented challenges for me because I find that I get stomped on questions that I honest have no idea where to start.

Any recommedations on how to get a refresher in the fundamental math?

I believe it was a combination of the two - careless errors and not grasping the fundamentals of the particular problem. Plus, the time factor was always an issue for me on the first few CATs.

The best refresher is to simply review the Official Guides, as there are primers on the fundamental concepts. Combine that with the Manhattan GMAT guides and you have a recipe for success.

It took time for me to get over frustrations, but the key is just to keep chugging along. Eventually, you just get it. But, that is simply the result of repetition/practice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Math Refresher [#permalink]
trader1 wrote:
I believe it was a combination of the two - careless errors and not grasping the fundamentals of the particular problem. Plus, the time factor was always an issue for me on the first few CATs.

The best refresher is to simply review the Official Guides, as there are primers on the fundamental concepts. Combine that with the Manhattan GMAT guides and you have a recipe for success.

It took time for me to get over frustrations, but the key is just to keep chugging along. Eventually, you just get it. But, that is simply the result of repetition/practice.

Thank you. This thread is very helpful. I've been out of school for almost 10 yrs, and haven't seen most of this math since early high school.

Congrats on the great score.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Many congratulations Will, well deserved buddy ... Have a wonderful Christmas.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts