Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1076 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey jjhko,

Thanks for your words of encouragement! Mysery does love company, so we are in this together :wink: I decided that I won't let GMAT rule my future, so that is why I am attacking it now, while I have some time... I really don't want to wake up one day and guess what would my future have been like if I studied and focused a little harder... a little more! Ouch...

And I will not give up until I get a decent score even if it will take me more than two attempts... If the school is going to reject me for the number of attemps that show that I was working harder every time, then do I really want to go there?

I am studying and somewhat following the plan, but I signed up for online course (GMAX) and going through their lectures right now... so far so good... I think it helped me with Number properties a little bit (my weakest link)... they advice to focus on accuracy first (which is what I thought before I even entrolled)... I feel like I am great with strategies, but it takes me longer to implement those, because my attention is just all over the place, unless I have my coffee and sugar pumped into my body. That is why I have a rough idea of when I want to take the test, but it will depend on the progress...

Now... you can do it too!!! Trust me... if you have any doubts, then read J.Hawkins' book "On Intelligence"... even though it has too many details (don't bother reading ch.6) about the brain, it will boost your confidence by the fact that you can really "train" your brain!!! And it is great that you have someone beside you for emotional support as well... I do feel the same... and my friends/family never loved me for my scores and grades... they love me for who I am...

And remember one most important thing: GMAT and business school is not everything... it is just one of the many roads you can follow... if you are persistent enough to overcome the obstacles of getting onto this ramp, then you will succeed!!! I strongly believe it is about the efforts... it may take you longer than others, but you should never compare yourself! Don't feel that the world comes down crashing on you... just turn around and go back at it... once, twice... hundred times... until you get what you want... it might be difficult, but possible... and not only applicable to GMAT!

Hope this helps and hang in there as well!!! We can do it! I will definately keep my experience updated! Helps me to have a bird's eye view on the situation 8-) as well as documenting some history...

u2lover
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Look at this link it may be kind of group you need...

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=29645

Chirag
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have things I want to say, but don't have time right now. Just posting so I can put notify me when a reply is posted to yes, so I dont forget to come back.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey rhyme... thanks for reading my post! can't wait to see what a pro like you might advice! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
U2lover,
Thanks for putting some of my thoughts into words. I took my GMAT the first time back in 2004 and haven't had the courage to take it again. I just lost all the confidence that I can do better. But then again I didn't spend any time studying seriously which is why I am giving it a shot this year once again.
The main question I had was about the practice questions. Where can I find a large set of Verbal/Math/Logic questions for the GMAT? I plan to work on these during the first 2-3 weeks and then take a CAT diagnostic to figure out my weakeness. Any recommendations?

Thanks and good luck on this journey.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
the biggest sets of practicing questions for verbal are SC/RC/CR1000... which is a document posted as a sticky on the verbal questions forum.
I heard LSATs are good for logic, but I haven't got to those yet and not sure if it is necessary... feels like I already have plenty to practice with.

as far as quant... I am practicing with OG 10 at the moment, but plan to try challenges on this website several weeks before the test... there is a lot of questions there! I also have plenty of CATs to practice math with, but nothing as big as 1000 document for verbal. I am not sure if such document exists for math.

and great that you became a part of this forum... it is a great place to get some support and practice questions!

all the best!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
U2lover,

I agree there is more materal than one can actually finish. The key is to become comfortable with the concepts tested in GMAT and also develop the speed to solve the questions. No need to complete all of CR1000/SC1000/RC1000.

Try to focus on your weaknesses. Lets say for CRs, I feel the weaken/assumption/strengthen questions are easy, but sometimes the INFERENCE questions are tricky. So I focused on solving several "inference" type of CRs..

RCs.. God save me from history passages. I got one today and it was my second RC.. I ended up wasting a lot of time re-reading it and hence couldn't complete the test... So focus on what you don't like. If something is your weakness, it will remain your weakness unless you fix it!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
u2lover wrote:
hey rhyme... thanks for reading my post! can't wait to see what a pro like you might advice! :)

Ok here's my two cents.

First, I applaud you for putting forward this kind of effort.

Second, I warn you against doing so. What you have laid out is a ridiculous schedule of non-stop studying. You WILL burn out. You cannot study 400 hours in 50 days. You will just loose steam 20 or 30 days in. Come up with a more realistic schedule.

Some recommendations:

(1) Find a study partner. This has a HUGE benefit. First, if you dont get something, he/she can maybe explain it. Second, if you do problems together, there will be an implicit competition of "who finishes first" or "who keeps getting them right?"... whether the two of you admit or it or not, in the back of your mind you will be noticing who finishes first. It pushes you to stay focused and work quickly - an important skill on the GMAT. Third, if you both agree to "homework" you will have motivation to do it. If you try to do it just by yourself, its far to easy - especially after a couple weeks of the kind of schedule you are talking about - to just say '!@#@! it' and not finish what you had intended to do. If you have someone else doing the problems with you ... well, then you dont want to be the one who was slacking.

(2) Reduce your hours to something more manageable. It just isn't going to work. 4 hours a day is more reasonable. Give up your weekends and find a study partner. If you are unemployed, you'll have plenty of decompression time anyway.

(3) Your approach seems a little hokey. I get the impression you are just throwing darts at everything to see what sticks. There's no reason to do 1000 CR if you don't have a CR problem. You are trying to do it all, but its unfocused. You need to figure out a few things: - (1) Weaker in math or in verbal? (2) If math, what material? (3) If verbal, what material - then tailor the studies to this material, with the rest of it thrown in. Be prepared to accept some topics that you may not be able to improve in.

For example, in my case, I knew I was particularly weak in ratio problems, number properties, and particularly DS. I also knew I was weak in probability and very weak in combinatorics. I therefore forced myself to focus in on these areas first. I knew I was strong in SC, strong in CR, and very strong in RC - but I didnt want these skills to go away, so I forced each of these on myself each week.

(4) OG11, OG11, OG11.
You mention all the 1000 questions - while I don't think they are BAD problems, no one really knows for sure what quality they are and how many incorrect answers exist therein. They also lack explanation!!! So how do you start learning from your mistakes if you dont know what your mistake is???? The OG guide, and the two supplement books from MBA are your best friends. The Manhttan guides are great too.

(5) Never, ever, ever, go past a problem until you understand why you got it wrong. Get into the habit of forcing yourself to stop and see how each problem was solved.

(6) Just because you got it right, doesn't mean you got it right. Not sure if you got it right, but you did? Did you get it right by doing it correctly, or did you STUMBLE onto the answer? Just cause you checkboxed the "right" answer doesn't mean you get to skip looking at their solution.

(7) Come up with a schedule and stick to it. It's very easy to say "I'm gonna do this for 4 hours !" and then 2 hours into it you find yourself hanging out with a friend who brought over his marijuana smoking monkey and now instead of studying, you are watching a monkey get high. Or whatever you British folk do, assuming you are british, which you may not be.

(8) Related to 7, buy a stopwatch. Set a pace and a schedule. It works very nicely and keeps you motivated. 45 minutes of work, 15 minute break. If you do this, you'll be motivated to keep going when you hit the 40 minute mark, and you'll be motivated to come back to it at the 15 minute mark. Without a stopwatch, its too easy to do an hour and a half, get tired, say you'll take a break, and before you know it, that break became an hour of fudging about on gmatclub.com. Then you dont feel like going back to it.

(9) See attached excel files. They will help you identify where you are weak and where you are strong. They break up the OG11 guide by question type (Geometry, Number Property) PS and DS - they have multiple tabs - they take care of timing for you too, as well as give you estimates to completion. There are more of these files in my thread (see gmatclub main page, its linked off there).

(10) Learn to accept some defeats. I knew that, given enough time and enough energy I could probably get pretty good at combinatorics, but the reality of it was: The odds of getting one of hte problems during the exam was relatively small, the odds of solving it in time was also small, the odds of getting it right was also small, combined, the odds of getting the problem, solving it in 2 minutes, and getting it right were so miniscule that I realized my time was better spent focusing on number properties, ratios, and other weak areas.

(11) Your Rate Problem and Age Problem solution.

For rate problems, set everything up in a table.

For example:

If machine A can make 6 widgets in 3 hours and machine B can make 12 widgets in 4 hours, how many widgets can they both make in 8 hours?

Start with this:

| MACHINE A | MACHINE B | TOGETHER |
R | | | |
T | | | |
W | | | |

Fill in what you know, where R = rate ,T = time, W = work (or distance)

R | ? | ? | ? |
T | 3 | 4 | 8 |
W | 6 | 12 | ? |

Now you know RT=W

so: Machine A R(3)=6, so R =2
Machine B: R(4)=12, so R = 3
Together, their combined rates are 5 per hour

So... for teh goether piece:

RT=W
(6)(8)=40

R | 2 | 3 | 5 |
T | 3 | 4 | 8 |
W | 6 | 12 | 40 |

This works for anything... for example if they said: How many hours would it take them to make 90 widgets?

R | 2 | 3 | 5 |
T | 3 | 4 | ? |
W | 6 | 12 | 90 |

Just solve.

It also works for three machines, or four, or five.

It also works when they dont tell you what W is. For example: Machine A makes X widgets in 3 hours, machine B makes 2X widgets in 4 hours. How long does it take them to make 5X widgets together?

R | ? | ? | ? |
T | 3 | 4 | ? |
W | X | 2X | 5X |

Pick any number for X. Doesnt matter what it is.

Ideally pick a number thats a multiple of the other numbers.

So say X was 6...

R | ? | ? | ? |
T | 3 | 4 | ? |
W | 6 | 2(6) | 5(6) |

now solve for Rates

R | 2 | 3 | 5 |
T | 3 | 4 | ? |
W | 6 | 2(6) | 5(6) |

So whats Together RT=W?

(5)(?) = 5(6)
(5)(?) = 30
? = 6
It would take them 6 hours.

This also works for those problems where they want you to find the rate... For example:

Tommy walks 10 miles in 2 hours on his way home, on the way back he walks there in 4 hours, what was his average MPH?

| ON THE WAY | THE WAY BACK | COMBINED |
R | ? | ? | ? |
T | 2 | 4 | 6 |
W | 10 | 10 | 20 |

Fill out what you know, then combine THE TIMES. Cause all told, it took him 6 hours. Now, just solve 20/6, thats his average rate.

Usually they'll give it to you this way:

Tomy walked to the store 10 miles away at 5 miles per hour, then walked back at 2 miles per hour. What was his average speed?

It takes one more step - you have to find out how long it took him on each path... but its the same basic thing:

R | 5 | 2 | ? |
T | ? | ? | ? |
W | 10 | 10 | 20 |

Solve the TIME for each way.
On the way 5(?)=10 .... ? = 2
on the way back 2(?) = 10 .... ? = 5

Total time = 7

R | 5 | 2 | ? |
T | 2 | 5 | 7 |
W | 10 | 10 | 20 |

Solve for the combined rate ... = 20/7

note that its not the same as (5+2)/2 .... you cant average rates like this!

Now for age problems...

the trick is similar.

ALWAYS WRITE DOWN THE VARIABLES.

This means that for a question like: Tommy is now twice as old as janice. In four years janice will be 28 years old, how old will tommy be in 7 years?

make a similar table:

| NOW | NOW + 4 | NOW + 7 |
Tommy | T | T + 4 | T + 7 |
Janice | J | J + 4 | J + 7 |

This is where they get you - getting the variables right.

So, just USE THE VARIABLES IN THE TABLE TO NEVER MESS IT UP.

So first statement: "Tommy is now twice as old as janice"

Look at the "NOW" column.

T = 2J

Second statement: In four years, Janice will be 28 years old. USE VARIABLES FROM THE NOW + 4 COLUMN FOR EVERYTHING.

J + 4 = 28

Third statement: How old is tommy in 7 years? USE VARIABLES FOR THE NOW + 7 COLUMN.

T + 7 = ????

Now solve. J + 4 = 28, so J = 24.
T = 2J so T = 2(24) . So T = 48
T + 7 = ????
48 + 7 = 55

Tommy will be 55 years old in 7 years.

They want to trick you by getting you mixed up on the variables.

A common mistake is writing something like J = 28

More commonly they'll say something like: "In four years, tommy will be twice as old as Janice."

How would you write that based on the table above?

T + 4 = 2(J + 4)

Thats how they get you. They want you to write: T + 4 =2J , BUT THATS WRONG CAUSE CAUSE JANICE IS ALSO FOUR YEARS OLDER!

Hope that helps.
Attachments

GMAT-Grader-Set2.xls [51.5 KiB]
Downloaded 99 times

GMAT-Grader-set1.xls [53.5 KiB]
Downloaded 91 times

Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme,

nice 2 cents from you! and thanks for the error logs! you are very benevolent to the people in this club! and watching monkey get high would be a great entertainment too... yet I am not sure if that's British... never been there before!

I reread my plan, which was outlined sometime in mid May and I must tell that it is, indeed, very general... some things have changed since then...

I never have planned to go through all the material, because I really do have A LOT! Would never imagine in my wildest dreams to solve all these questions... And all the books I listed I only use those to practice the weakest areas... DS, CR and sometimes PS... I would go crazy if I go from cover to cover, which I tried to do before... they just repeat each other... instead, if I don't understand explanation of the concept in one book, I refer to another one and so on...

Yet, one book that I am practicing with cover to cover is the OG 10... (those supplement books that you used are part of the OG 10). I have OG 11 from my friend as well and these are quite similar.

In the first couple of weeks, I did try different things to see what approach sticks, and finally decided to work with OG and GMAX course, which is built around the OG... It just gave me the needed structure and a mission to brush up on the strategies and basics. I also started to participate in the verbal forum, but it seems to eat up a lot of time and I am not sure if I learned anything yet... the forum, in my opinion, is good for practice a couple of weeks before the test, as people post random questions and you need to recall what you have learned yourself! I don't know if you agree with this.

OG seems to be taking enormous amount of time, since I don't move on from a problem that I got wrong or correct w/out a reason, like you mentioned. So I study the explanations (if they are good) as much as I study the concept if I have an issue with any question.

Math weakness... your explanation of the age problem really helps... I do fall into that stupid trap of who is older than who and how old they will be X years from now... I guess it's because I didn't learn my math in English... and it so hard to translate it into manageable terms... but whenever I do so I never fail to create the correct equation... this table approach of yours ROCKS! The other problems with the average speed I don't have an issue with. What I struggle with is when they give you the ratios before (for work problems) and then change those and ask what new outcome is... I just want to fall asleep when I see those.... may be I would solve it/get it faster if I knew that monkey is going to get high and I would miss it if I don't solve it on time. :)

Timing issue is a whole different story... I would solve the first 15 question correct, but I would use at least 40 min... it is ridiculous... I am very frustrated about this... the timer works, but as soon as I get this one problem I refuse to give up on it and mess up the timing... now that you told me I have to accept the weaknesses, I will sure skip/guess on those and come back later for the full lesson... Also do you think it is better to try to solve the problem yourself or go straight to the explanations?

and finally about the number of hours... it probably does seem ridiculous to others about how much I plan to spend on this, but the truth is the hours are not that bad… and no, I don't sit at the desk for 8 hrs straight... these are just the general hours I spend at the office... during those I watch the lectures, study, search the web, etc...

as far as CATs, I plan to take those closer to the exam date, as I am trying to bang on the strategies at the moment (for CR, RC) and learn the basic grammar rules, so that my mind doesn’t go blank like it did in my last attempt…

thanks for the input… I really appreciate it!!! Please stick around and throw your jokes into this boring stuff… really entertaining…

best,
u2lover
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
u2lover wrote:
rhyme,

nice 2 cents from you! and thanks for the error logs! you are very benevolent to the people in this club! and watching monkey get high would be a great entertainment too... yet I am not sure if that's British... never been there before!

I reread my plan, which was outlined sometime in mid May and I must tell that it is, indeed, very general... some things have changed since then...

I never have planned to go through all the material, because I really do have A LOT! Would never imagine in my wildest dreams to solve all these questions... And all the books I listed I only use those to practice the weakest areas... DS, CR and sometimes PS... I would go crazy if I go from cover to cover, which I tried to do before... they just repeat each other... instead, if I don't understand explanation of the concept in one book, I refer to another one and so on...

Yet, one book that I am practicing with cover to cover is the OG 10... (those supplement books that you used are part of the OG 10). I have OG 11 from my friend as well and these are quite similar.

In the first couple of weeks, I did try different things to see what approach sticks, and finally decided to work with OG and GMAX course, which is built around the OG... It just gave me the needed structure and a mission to brush up on the strategies and basics. I also started to participate in the verbal forum, but it seems to eat up a lot of time and I am not sure if I learned anything yet... the forum, in my opinion, is good for practice a couple of weeks before the test, as people post random questions and you need to recall what you have learned yourself! I don't know if you agree with this.

OG seems to be taking enormous amount of time, since I don't move on from a problem that I got wrong or correct w/out a reason, like you mentioned. So I study the explanations (if they are good) as much as I study the concept if I have an issue with any question.

Math weakness... your explanation of the age problem really helps... I do fall into that stupid trap of who is older than who and how old they will be X years from now... I guess it's because I didn't learn my math in English... and it so hard to translate it into manageable terms... but whenever I do so I never fail to create the correct equation... this table approach of yours ROCKS! The other problems with the average speed I don't have an issue with. What I struggle with is when they give you the ratios before (for work problems) and then change those and ask what new outcome is... I just want to fall asleep when I see those.... may be I would solve it/get it faster if I knew that monkey is going to get high and I would miss it if I don't solve it on time. :)

Timing issue is a whole different story... I would solve the first 15 question correct, but I would use at least 40 min... it is ridiculous... I am very frustrated about this... the timer works, but as soon as I get this one problem I refuse to give up on it and mess up the timing... now that you told me I have to accept the weaknesses, I will sure skip/guess on those and come back later for the full lesson... Also do you think it is better to try to solve the problem yourself or go straight to the explanations?

and finally about the number of hours... it probably does seem ridiculous to others about how much I plan to spend on this, but the truth is the hours are not that bad… and no, I don't sit at the desk for 8 hrs straight... these are just the general hours I spend at the office... during those I watch the lectures, study, search the web, etc...

as far as CATs, I plan to take those closer to the exam date, as I am trying to bang on the strategies at the moment (for CR, RC) and learn the basic grammar rules, so that my mind doesn’t go blank like it did in my last attempt…

thanks for the input… I really appreciate it!!! Please stick around and throw your jokes into this boring stuff… really entertaining…

best,
u2lover

Hugely late on this but....

are we talking about those problems that say something like...

"Machine A can produce widgets at 1/3 the rate machine b can and 3/4 the rate machine C can? The ratio of widgets produced by machines B and C together to machines A is ... "

If so, the table works for those too - just pick multiples of the numbers that eliminate the fractions...

I.e. machine A widgets = 1/3 of b
machine A = 3/4 of C

ok well, what if machine A's rate is 3 ... lets pick a number here. Any number. then 3 is 1/3 of 9, so b's rate =9 (that is 3 = 1/3 of B, simplify, B = 9)
similarly if machine A = 3/4 of C...
3 = 3/4*c ...... 12/3 = C thus C = 4

so A = 3
B = 9
C = 4

Put it in the table.... pick some amount of time... any amount of time.. and solve... you'll get a ratio but without having to work with 1/3, 3/4, 2/3, etc...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There is agood minute timer on this website that I use:

https://www.pc-tools.net/

It has got a feature that the timer only starts after you minimize the window.. gives you more precise time :)

I agree with rhyme.. OG is a must.

And if you want to improve math.. try out the Kaplan GRE/GMAT Math workout. And kaplan 800 workout. They did have a few problems that if you try to time them to solve in 2 minutes, get harder to solve in 2 mins...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E ... &n=3375251

I used this.... love the heavy feel of it, sturdy, and well constructed (helpful if you are hitting start / stop every 2 minutes for hours and hours and hours and hours a day over days and days and weeks and weeks...)

Plus the heavy metal feel gives it a really satisfying CLUNK sound when you get to hit the stop buttom and drop it on the table.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Hugely late on this but....

are we talking about those problems that say something like...

"Machine A can produce widgets at 1/3 the rate machine b can and 3/4 the rate machine C can? The ratio of widgets produced by machines B and C together to machines A is ... "

If so, the table works for those too - just pick multiples of the numbers that eliminate the fractions...

I.e. machine A widgets = 1/3 of b
machine A = 3/4 of C

ok well, what if machine A's rate is 3 ... lets pick a number here. Any number. then 3 is 1/3 of 9, so b's rate =9 (that is 3 = 1/3 of B, simplify, B = 9)
similarly if machine A = 3/4 of C...
3 = 3/4*c ...... 12/3 = C thus C = 4

so A = 3
B = 9
C = 4

Put it in the table.... pick some amount of time... any amount of time.. and solve... you'll get a ratio but without having to work with 1/3, 3/4, 2/3, etc...

yes rhyme... this is the very kind I am struggling with... in the end I can solve it myself, but it definitely takes me more than 2 min... table seems like a good time-saver, yet it takes time to get it into my brain...

also... an update on my studying... I am working hard on this GMAT s%*)^... but focusing more on verbal since that is the weakness... I tried your RC approach and it was helpful with your passages, but once I started to do it on my own I made so many mistakes and ended up reading the whole thing again... So now I just read 1st and last sentences of each paragraph (although I read the whole 1st paragraph) and just run through the sentences (not reading) to get some key words... seems to work, but then again surely depends on the topic! I try to do 4 RC a day, but the mistakes don't seem to go away.... the main problem is inference kind (also in CR this is the problem as well)

For math... I am just working with OG 10... it takes longer because 10th edition has more questions than 11th... (more than 1400) After those I plan to work only with MGMAT Word Problems book and Challenges on this site.... oh... and yeah... any DS questions I can get my hands on...

willget800... I already did Kaplan math workout book a while ago... I agree it isn't bad, in fact if you know zero about math it would help, yet it seemed easy... it helped me with some geometry and other math terms though.

about the timer... I also have one from a friend... she used "silent timer"... it is ok... you have to click the button every time you finish the question, and sometimes I forget :roll:

thanks for the input you guys!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]