Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 02:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Potential

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My Potential [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 05:55
Hi guys! I've asked this question in the Harvard Business School subforum but I decided to ask this again in a more general environment as I'm also looking into applying to other business schools as well.

I have a huge dilemma right now and that it my incredibly low GPA. I have not yet graduated from college but I'm not expecting my GPA to go above the 2.5 mark at all. I'm pursuing a degree in Computer Science at De La Salle University, arguably the best computer science school in the country. The program is incredibly rigorous and about 90% of my class has a GPA of less than 3. I've failed some classes and I am "average" if we consider my grades alone. However, I think I am smarter than what my transcripts say (And my peers feel the same way towards me).

I placed second in the 5th Edition of Startup Weekend Manila and it's one of the the reasons why I've been so interested in attending business school lately. I come from a family with barely any formal education (As far as I know I'm the first one to go to a decent university) so education is very important to me.

I'm currently 18 years old and I'm juggling my time between school (My university has a hectic trimestral calendar system), my part time job (A business apprentice at the country's fastest growing SME. We've worked with several Fortune 500 companies like Youtube, Ebay, Verizon, AT&T and even schools such as Stanford and bands like Coldplay) and my startup (Which I'll be launching early next year with the help of a venture company based in Singapore).

In terms of organizations, I've held some key positions at a number of societies at school but nothing too spectacular. Currently I'm spearheading a possible university-wide syllabus change so it's something that I'm proud about. In terms of sporting I've been a volunteer sports journalist for more than two years (But I had to quit my writing duties just two months ago to focus more on my startup) at 2 major sports publications. Moreover, I'm currently writing a research paper (Independently with 3 other people) about how we can predict attendance in rallies using Twitter data.

I'm currently looking into 5 business schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Sloan and Booth. I know that these schools are the best of the best so I'm very concerned about how low my GPA is. Even if I get a really high GMAT score, I'm still concerned that my GPA will drag my application down anyway. What advice can you guys give me regarding my situation?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: My Potential [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 18:32
Expert's post
How much school do you have left? If you are only 18 and already have most of college done -- you are in a unique situation. That said, the GPA is a problem. A question for me is this "If you know you want to go to business school (and soon) why are you focusing on a major that is killing your GPA and hurting your chances of where you really want to go?"

JIbanez27 wrote:
Hi guys! I've asked this question in the Harvard Business School subforum but I decided to ask this again in a more general environment as I'm also looking into applying to other business schools as well.

I have a huge dilemma right now and that it my incredibly low GPA. I have not yet graduated from college but I'm not expecting my GPA to go above the 2.5 mark at all. I'm pursuing a degree in Computer Science at De La Salle University, arguably the best computer science school in the country. The program is incredibly rigorous and about 90% of my class has a GPA of less than 3. I've failed some classes and I am "average" if we consider my grades alone. However, I think I am smarter than what my transcripts say (And my peers feel the same way towards me).

I placed second in the 5th Edition of Startup Weekend Manila and it's one of the the reasons why I've been so interested in attending business school lately. I come from a family with barely any formal education (As far as I know I'm the first one to go to a decent university) so education is very important to me.

I'm currently 18 years old and I'm juggling my time between school (My university has a hectic trimestral calendar system), my part time job (A business apprentice at the country's fastest growing SME. We've worked with several Fortune 500 companies like Youtube, Ebay, Verizon, AT&T and even schools such as Stanford and bands like Coldplay) and my startup (Which I'll be launching early next year with the help of a venture company based in Singapore).

In terms of organizations, I've held some key positions at a number of societies at school but nothing too spectacular. Currently I'm spearheading a possible university-wide syllabus change so it's something that I'm proud about. In terms of sporting I've been a volunteer sports journalist for more than two years (But I had to quit my writing duties just two months ago to focus more on my startup) at 2 major sports publications. Moreover, I'm currently writing a research paper (Independently with 3 other people) about how we can predict attendance in rallies using Twitter data.

I'm currently looking into 5 business schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Sloan and Booth. I know that these schools are the best of the best so I'm very concerned about how low my GPA is. Even if I get a really high GMAT score, I'm still concerned that my GPA will drag my application down anyway. What advice can you guys give me regarding my situation?

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My Potential [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 00:12
brianlange77 wrote:
How much school do you have left? If you are only 18 and already have most of college done -- you are in a unique situation. That said, the GPA is a problem. A question for me is this "If you know you want to go to business school (and soon) why are you focusing on a major that is killing your GPA and hurting your chances of where you really want to go?"

JIbanez27 wrote:

I have 5 semesters left, three of which are taken in just one year so I'll be in school for another year and a half.

With regards to your question, I really did not have any interest in starting my own business until this year. It was too late for me to switch to another degree (Time and money wise. My family's just a middle class family by Philippine standards). With that said, I am enjoying Computer Science but the difficulty of the entire program is definitely taking a toll on my grades.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: My Potential [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 13:11
Expert's post
Totally understand your situation and commend you for all that you are doing. That said, it's important to ask yourself 'what does success look like in this situation?' It may have been that 2 years ago -- success looked like a computer science degree... but, what if your definition of the 'finish line' has changed?

Does it make sense to keep on running the same course, even if you know the finish line has changed?

Just a thought -- I share this idea b/c the low grades will be a drag on your application.

Hope this is helpful.

-Brian

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: My Potential   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2013, 13:11