Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My profile and my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My profile and my chances? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 20:41
Here's my profile:

I'm a 26 y/o Asian American Male and IT Consultant. I have about 5 years of work experience--first starting off at a fairly prominent IT Consulting company in the area (1B in revenue) for 3 years, and recently, I've been working at a boutique firm (150 employees total) for the past couple of years. I've paid my dues in the industry and I'm currently a Senior Consultant with the company and my role has evolved from being a software developer to managing software development efforts (i.e. development lead) and architecting high-level solutions. My role, however, is not confined just to project delivery and execution. I'm the company Subject Matter Expert (SME) for a particular software tool, where essentially all of the technical questions for this tool are funnelled through me. I'm also extermely involved with interviewing and screening candidates for the company and I also participate in sales support activities. Additionally, I'm mentoring junior employees through an established mentor-mentee program in the company. One of the reasons why I decided to go to a smaller consulting company was to experience the full breadth of IT Consulting, instead of concentrating primarily on project delivery aspects, and I feel like I've truly done that by going small.

Outside of work, I volunteer to tutor high school kids throughout the school year at a low-income housing project. I've been doing this for a couple of years.

I'd like to get an MBA and concentrate in Management and Entrepreneurship. I'd like to use my MBA to make a jump into strategy/management consulting and hopefully start my own consulting firm shortly thereafter.

My stats:
Graduated from UVA with a BS in Systems Engineering and Minor in Computer Science (3.3 GPA)
GMAT: 700 (48Q, 38V, 6.0 AWA in May 06)

I'm currently considering UPenn, UVA, Columbia, Northwestern, MIT, NYU.

I realize I have a few reach schools listed here. What schools do I have a good shot at getting into? Will my 1st GMAT attempt hurt me? Knowing that I want to do Management and/or Entrepreneurship and knowing my stats, are there any other schools that I should consider? Are there any schools listed above that don't make sense?

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 21:16
Any reason you're staying away from west coast schools like UCLA or USC?

You've listed an interesting group.

Why UVA? Why Columbia? Why Stern? Why Wharton?

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 02:58
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. The reason why I'm sticking with that particular list of schools is because my girlfriend/significant other will be graduating from medical school in May '07 and currently applying to residency programs, just as I'm applying to Business School. Since we both want to end up in the same city, we're both targetting locations with good programs where 1) we both would be happy with the school/program and 2) we both would have somewhat of a shot of being admitted/matched. I'm planning on applying as early as possible to B-School and figuring out where I'm going to go first so my girlfriend can rank her residency programs accordingly (i.e. if I'm lucky enough to get admitted to Columbia, she will target New York residency programs). I'm trying to find a happy medium where both of us will be happy.

As for my choices for those specific schools:

UVA: We both went there for undergrad and we feel like that school would be the most likely place for us to get admitted/placed. It's the closest school on my list that resembles a "safety". Additionally, I hear they are good in Managament, which is what I would like to concentrate in.

Columbia: It's a great school all-around--being decent in management, enterpreneurship, and International Business (another consideration for me). Additionally, since my girlfriend will be there for more than a couple of years if she does her residency there, I feel like Columbia will improve my odds of procuring a job in NY and I also feel like I'll be able to establish better connections/networking there, as a result of going there. Columbia is my top choice and I plan on applying there early decision.

Penn: same reasons as Columbia pretty much, except that it may be better than CU in Management/Enterpreneurship.

Stern: I'm on the fence about applying to Stern. This is probably the weakest choice out of all of the schools on the list because it's strong in finance (ok in everything else), and I don't really have any interest to go into finance. However, I'm keeping the school on the list because of its location and reputation, as a backup to Columbia. I would probably rank this school last on my list of schools.

What do you think of my rationale and chances? Should be considering other schools? Thanks.
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2006, 07:31
I thought that there was probably some external reasons for these selections -- seems too random otherwise. Great explanations and understandable given your situation.

I think you will be competitive at those schools. Your GMAT is less of a risk than your work experience, given the large number of consultants in IT who apply to these schools. It certainly helps that you move to a niche consultancy -- play that up in your essays. Also make sure that you have good clarity in discussing your career goals. A lot of consultants are too generic in that aspect of their essays.

http://www.mbagameplan.com