Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Profile Eligibility for MBA Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My Profile Eligibility for MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 05:52
Hello Alex,

I am a Commerce graduate (Bachelors - 3 yrs) with 53% and may be my GPA will be around 2/2.1 I suppose. I have 3 yrs Masters Diploma in IT and 1 yr Post Grad Diploma in Computer Applications with 11+ yrs experience in Financial Services and IT, with being in IT for the last 6 yrs.
My bachelors GPA was low because I was totally concentrating on that 3 yrs Masters Diploma which I was doing parallelly with bachelors and so got good scores in that but not in my Bachelors.
Will I be able to secure MBA admissions with this GPA into top 20 Univs or I have to take a Bachelors again through diatsnce mode with weekend contact classes or may be clear CFA Level 1 to prove that I am ready for the 2 years MBA grinding.
I will try my best to get a 700+ score in GMAT or 300/320+ in GRE.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Regards
Karthik
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Profile Eligibility for MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 08:22
Expert's post
Top 20 is gonna be very hard for you my friend... If you look at the stats, at both the range and the spread and the average for UG GPA the averages are much much much higher than what you are coming in with, so you would have to be a truly exceptional candidate to get accepted. That, plus the fact that you come from a very big very overrepresented pool makes me think that the best course of action is to get a bit more realistic about your school selection. I don't mean to put a damper on your dreams, but I do want to be honest with you dude! Because ultimately it will only help you get into programs that are right for YOU!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Last edited by JonAdmissionado on 20 Feb 2013, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: My Profile Eligibility for MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 20:43
Thanks Jon for that frank reply. I myself know that the average GPA of the classes entering top 20 US B Schools is somewhere around 3.5 - 3.8. I wish to apply by around 38 - 42 and I am now going to be 33 coming May.

Will it be useful if I do another Bachelors, say in Economics or Mathematics through distance mode wherein I will have my classes on weekends and will try my level best for at least a 3.3 GPA?

What say?

Thanks
Karthik
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Profile Eligibility for MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 00:37
Expert's post
Karthik,
If you want to apply to a regular full-time MBA, you should think about doing it now and not in many years. Even at 33, you are scratching the upper end of the normal MBA age range, and the older you get the harder it will become. So, my tendency would be to say: do the best you can with what you have. You do need of course to kill that GMAT, so make sure you are leaving yourself enough time to retake once or twice just in case you don't get that score you need the first time around.

Hope this helps,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: My Profile Eligibility for MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 02:00
Thanks Jon. I will not be able to make it through now since I have personal commitments as well. I was in the understanding that B Schools take candidates till 45 yrs age limit and not more than that, so thought of applying nearing my 40.

Regards
Karthik
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Profile Eligibility for MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 00:43
Expert's post
I see. Well, look there is no age cutoff point for any school that I know, and every year will have one or two far older candidates. But do keep in mind firstly, that the older you get, the harder it becomes to get into a regular MBA program, which leads me to think that you might want to consider an EMBA program, to see if that is not the right thing for you.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: My Profile Eligibility for MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 01:16
Jon,

I am thinking very much of the 1 year MBA programs in US from good Univs, eg. Northwestern, USC etc.... I cannot change my field that I am in right now. My experience will lead to General management and top management roles across industries.

If I do a full time one, it will be a 1 yr one and get back to the workforce asap, since I have a family to take care of and have to see a good public school for my son during my studies as well. Maybe you can help me out during my school searching phase. :)

Thanks....Karthik
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Profile Eligibility for MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 23:46
Expert's post
Absolutely! And you can start off with a free consultation and chat about schools with one of my consultants... Why not drop us a line by filling out the form here: http://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/. That's the quickest way, and someone will get in touch with you within 24 hours.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Re: My Profile Eligibility for MBA Admissions   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2013, 23:46