Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My profile, pls advise me to choose a suitable school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My profile, pls advise me to choose a suitable school [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 23:18
Hi,

I'm a newbie, from Vietnam. I'm very impressive with your case by case answers in this forum. Could a Vietnamese put a question here?

I'm planning to apply for MBA Fall 2007 in US. My profile:

- Undergrad school: A university in Vietnam
- Major: English linguistics and literature
- Experience till now: 3 years as an auditor for KPMG and 1 year as a consultant for MPDF, an NGO managed by IFC (the World Bank group), focusing on promoting private sector development in Vietnam.
- Other qualification: passed all the exams of ACCA (a UK's accounting association) and be an ACCA member now
- Toefl (expected): 600, Gmat (expected): 700
- Post-ACCA plan: be a financial consultant or an investment banker in Vietnam or in South Asia.

With such a profile, am I a competitive candidate for the top 10 MBA schools in the US? My ideal school is Harvard or MIT.

Many thanks for your counsel.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2005, 14:42
Expert's post
You may be able to get into one of those schools, but for you the key will be showing something interesting about yourself beyond your job. What about hobbies or community involvement?

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 00:58
Thanks for your advice.

My community involvement:

- I used to work as a volunteer for YMCA, an NGO, from 1997 to 2002. YMCA Vietnam cooperated with the YMCA network in the world to implement many community projects to help the poor, the handicap and orphan or homeless children. And I worked as an English interpreter, sometimes as a teacher teaching English and basic computer skills for those people. I once represented YMCA Vietnam to attend an international youth forum in Manila, Phillipine, organized by YMCA international network, to discuss about the issue of the youth in each country. Is this kind of community involvement too out of date to mention about?

- I used to be class monitor during high school and I organize a meeting for the class alumni every year.

- Recently, being a consultant for a private sector development project, I provide consultancy to various business associations on their activities such as organizing events for enterprise members, providing training courses for members' employees, doing advocacy on government policy... However, this is part of my work, which is paid, not a volunteer work.

- I used to be a scout when I was a teenager, but that is too out of date to mention about, isn't it?

My hobbies:

- Before 2002, I attended many activities of the church such as singing, camping, social work. But now, no more time for these.
- My hobbies recently are mainly reading and swimming. I'm married and have a family to take care.

Do the above activities add any value to my profile, considering that they happened several years ago? Are hobbies and community involvement important components to my profile? Do I need to start doing something again now to add to my profile?

Thank you very much for your counsel.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 05:45
Expert's post
I think the YMCA work is pretty valuable to your application story. The older stuff (such as high school monitor) isn't worth mentioning. But use the YMCA experience to show that you have passion for something.

Yes, hobbies and community involvement are VERY important to your application. They give you a chance to demonstrate leadership skills, an interest in getting involved, compassion for others, etc. These are all traits that adcomms will look for in an applicant.

While I don't advise applicants to take up new activities JUST for the sake of their b-school applications, look for new ways to get involved (perferably in a leadership role).

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews