Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Profile - Your Comments

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My Profile - Your Comments [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2004, 13:39
Hi All

I am currently an undergrad student at an Indian Institute of Technology. Wanted to know what my chances of getting into say HBS/Stanford/Wharton (basically the top 10) are with my profile:

0 workex as of Fall 2005
Great academics prior to Graduation, but messed up my GPA at IIT
( ~ 2.5/4.0)
Above average extra curriculars
Tons of leadership positions held during high school, UG
Expecting to do well at GMAT, prepared seriously for CAT - will be appearing for it within 2 months, maybe sooner

What say people ? I had a few specific queries:

Can I compensate for poor academics at UG level with a good GMAT score and plenty of extra currics etc ? I mean c'mon, an IIT is one of the toughest places to be in academically. Will they consider the selectivity/toughness of the UG school ?

Workex ? I heard that HBS at least is allowing freshers to apply. Is there any point to applying without workex ?

Any additional insights are welcomed.

Many thanks,

QGM
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Profile - Your Comments [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2004, 20:08
Expert's post
quickgunmuruggan wrote:
Hi All

I am currently an undergrad student at an Indian Institute of Technology. Wanted to know what my chances of getting into say HBS/Stanford/Wharton (basically the top 10) are with my profile:

0 workex as of Fall 2005
Great academics prior to Graduation, but messed up my GPA at IIT
( ~ 2.5/4.0)
Above average extra curriculars
Tons of leadership positions held during high school, UG
Expecting to do well at GMAT, prepared seriously for CAT - will be appearing for it within 2 months, maybe sooner

What say people ? I had a few specific queries:

Can I compensate for poor academics at UG level with a good GMAT score and plenty of extra currics etc ? I mean c'mon, an IIT is one of the toughest places to be in academically. Will they consider the selectivity/toughness of the UG school ?

Workex ? I heard that HBS at least is allowing freshers to apply. Is there any point to applying without workex ?

Any additional insights are welcomed.

Many thanks,

QGM

Avoid pointing to high school activities. Focus on your college experience.

Yes, the schools will consider the reputation of the school you attended when evaluating your GPA. BUT, the top schools receive many applications from IIT grads who have good GPAs. A 2.5 is quite low for h/s/w.

While Harvard and Stanford do consider applications for applicants coming straight out of college and lacking full-time work experience, the ones who get in have a high GMAT, high grades, impressive extra-curricular activities and internships that provided them with at least some professional experience.

Given your low GPA, I strongly urge you to work for a couple of years and put some distance between your application and your mediocre undergrad career. Hopefully you will be able to write about superior professional advancement, take a few classes and earn A's in them, and yes submit a high GMAT. A high GMAT will offset at least somewhat a low GPA, especially if there were extenuating circumstances that contributed tothe low GPA and/or you can show that you know how to excel on the job.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2004, 06:04
Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply. Referring to positions of leadership held, and extra currics, I have plenty to write about in college as well. I mentioned high school and UG in my earlier post. I will not have to rely solely on high school experiences in my appplication. But I guess that doesn't change much, I will still have to compensate for my low GPA with some stellar work ex + GMAT score right ?

Also, lets say I apply after 2 years of workex. Can I use my college extra currics then, or will they be like my high school credentials are right now ?

Thanks

QGM
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2004, 12:22
Expert's post
quickgunmuruggan wrote:
Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply. Referring to positions of leadership held, and extra currics, I have plenty to write about in college as well. I mentioned high school and UG in my earlier post. I will not have to rely solely on high school experiences in my appplication. But I guess that doesn't change much, I will still have to compensate for my low GPA with some stellar work ex + GMAT score right ?

Also, lets say I apply after 2 years of workex. Can I use my college extra currics then, or will they be like my high school credentials are right now ?

Thanks

QGM

You are correct that you need stellar work experience and a high GMAT because of your low GPA. Some post bac A's would also help you.

If you apply after two years, you can certainly still use your college extra-curricular activities but you should also try to maintain or develop some community service activities or hobbies even while working. The schools won't expect the same volume, but try for at least something on a limited basis if your work is demanding.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

New in this Forum [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 22:50
Hiii,

I have enjoyed becoming a member of your website and find you have a lot of really good wholesalers who are members much better than when I was trawling the internet on my own.

Regards,
Raman Khurana :wink: