Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2014, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My score is getting lower and lower with practices. why?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 05-26-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
My score is getting lower and lower with practices. why? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 20:26
I have been preparing for GMAT on and off for couple years and didn't get serious until 1.5 months ago.

I signed up for Manhattan GMAT Self-study programme and did my first CAT prep.

630 (Q42,V34). My goal is 730.

A week ago, I did 2nd CAT and result is 650 (Q46,V33).

What I did was to follow the study plan Manhanttan provids and study at least 3 hours on weekday and around 9 hrs/day on weekend. 2nd CAT result was discouraging since I was expecting more.

My test date is May 26th.

I did realize Manhattan is very focus on math, however Verbal is my main weakness.

Therefore, I signed up for E-Gmat last weekend and started learning it. It has been very helpful.

BUT, when I start doing Grockit, my initial assessment is 660 but later with more and more practice my accuracy goes to the bottom and score becomes to 630. I certainly get much better accuracy % with practices on OG.

Grockit has lots of knockoff questions after OG but I do not understand but all the sudden that I am doing a worse and worse job.

I am totally panic right now. I was targeting improving my score in the next 20days but now I totally lost my confidence. I started doing a terrible job in question bank at Manhanttan.

I do not mind taking a second test to get my score but I know there is something wrong with what I am doing now.

I really need help to score better. I do not want to compromise a less than 700 score.

Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: My score is getting lower and lower with practices. why? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 20:33
Don't sweat over lower test scores while you prepare. Think about "ranges." Any GMAT you take may provide you a score of X, but you could score as much as 30 points more or less than that score if you got lucky or served any particular day based on the questions you get vs. how those questions were to the general public.

Right now, focus on the material areas you are weak at for another week or so. Also, remember not to spend too much time on ANY question. This test is hard for EVERYONE, and you must know when to say screw it, pick an educated guess, and go get the next one. this could give you a little time cushion on the last few questions of the exam so you can afford to spend a little more time because you will learn how to solve some questions within a minute even though they may be hard to most test takers.

Third, do not focus on the amount of time you study, but rather, focus on WHAT you are studying and get it down. Focus on your weaknesses, and figure out quicker ways to get problems you can get right. This is what will improve your score range over time. I think now is a good time to try out one of the GMATPrep Tests. This will give you a better feel of what the test will be like.

Lastly, a 730 is a sky high score. If you don't get that 730 on the first try, try again later, but go ahead and draw blood on the first GMAT and see what happens.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 418 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: My score is getting lower and lower with practices. why? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 02:26
Please explain how your score is getting "lower and lower" when per what you have written, it has dropped once (one yours most recent test).

It's possible you had a bad day on your last practice test. Are you keeping an error log?

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My score is getting lower and lower with practices. why? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 08:09
mohater wrote:
Please explain how your score is getting "lower and lower" when per what you have written, it has dropped once (one yours most recent test).

It's possible you had a bad day on your last practice test. Are you keeping an error log?

When I said lower and lower, I was really referring to my accuracy % at Grockit and then Question Bank at Manhattan.

I did do a good job on error log. Since I do all my OG via Manhattan OG Archer, it has the record of all the errors. But, honestly, I am more upset about me getting wrong answers every time there is an error instead of digging out why.

Maybe that's why my score is not improving?
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My score is getting lower and lower with practices. why? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 08:09
novanative wrote:
Don't sweat over lower test scores while you prepare. Think about "ranges." Any GMAT you take may provide you a score of X, but you could score as much as 30 points more or less than that score if you got lucky or served any particular day based on the questions you get vs. how those questions were to the general public.

Right now, focus on the material areas you are weak at for another week or so. Also, remember not to spend too much time on ANY question. This test is hard for EVERYONE, and you must know when to say screw it, pick an educated guess, and go get the next one. this could give you a little time cushion on the last few questions of the exam so you can afford to spend a little more time because you will learn how to solve some questions within a minute even though they may be hard to most test takers.

Third, do not focus on the amount of time you study, but rather, focus on WHAT you are studying and get it down. Focus on your weaknesses, and figure out quicker ways to get problems you can get right. This is what will improve your score range over time. I think now is a good time to try out one of the GMATPrep Tests. This will give you a better feel of what the test will be like.

Lastly, a 730 is a sky high score. If you don't get that 730 on the first try, try again later, but go ahead and draw blood on the first GMAT and see what happens.

Thank you for your post. I will take your advise and do a prep test today to see how it goes.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My score is getting lower and lower with practices. why? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 12:23
novanative wrote:

I just took my test on GMAT PREP1. The score is surprisingly low. I am very very upset and do not know what's going on.

Here is my score
560 (Q49,V18)
Re: My score is getting lower and lower with practices. why?   [#permalink] 05 May 2012, 12:23