Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 01:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Sprint to 780- Need Guidance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

My Sprint to 780- Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 05:04
Hello all GMAT clubbers! I have gained a lot from this forum and I need guidance. I took GMAT in 2009 to score 700(35-V, 49-Q). Now i am waitlisted and told to retake GMAT.

I am aiming to take on 28 feb so I have time to retake if needed. With one month for prep, I am looking at Mgmat and OG as only two resources. Which tests and with what frequency would you all recommend? Also do you think I need any more material? I am working full-time but will use evenings and weekends.

Planning to take first test today to assess where I stand, then one week of math and verbal basics revision followed by solving other tests 2-3 per weekend and all OG problems during weekdays. please guide what else?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: My Sprint to 780- Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 07:32
Q49 is high enough, but you need to figure out what your V weakness is--is it SC, CR, RC, or something else? Once you identify the weakness, hammer those sections in the MGMAT reviews. Learn how to analyze arguments, spot common sentence correction flaws, answer RC questions quickly and correctly, or whatever you need to work on.

If you can maintain your Q where it is while bumping your V up to 45 or 46 that should put you in the neighborhood of 780, or at least high enough that you don't have to worry about GMAT being a factor in you getting dinged.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 474 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: My Sprint to 780- Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 14:32
Expert's post
While your overall performance is good enough for any school, the disparity between the verbal and quant is probably the reason why the school asked for a retake. In other words, the school has told you to improve your verbal. With a score of 49Q, you probably don't need to invest that much time in guidebooks for math. Go for the GMATClub tests to keep you sharp, though.

For verbal, you need to work overtime. My suggestion is to use MGMAT SC and Powerscore CR and reinforce those concepts with as many high quality questions as possible (OG, MGMAT online banks and CAT's, GMATClub forums). For RC, use the OG material as well as the LSAT SuperPrep. That book also has some decent CR practice.

And don't stop reading the SC book. As soon as you finish, start over.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 16

Re: My Sprint to 780- Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 15:12
wow, thats the first time ive heard that a school wants u to retake the gmat, which school is this?

Posted from my mobile device Image

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: My Sprint to 780- Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 10:51
My gap was even worse - Q49, V31.
So am retaking this week (fingers crossed). I did read LSAT LR bible as recommended by bmillan01 some time ago (thank you :) - became your follower since then) - good book for RC though sometimes superfluous. Practice sets from Aristotleprep (SC grail and RC 99) were also helpful. MGMT SC is the best for SC! I didn't study too hard this time as i feel i over pushed myself last time and really had no ability to devote as much time again. Don't even know whether i was able to retain my Quant at the same level but will see very soon. More calm this time.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!!!
p.s. which school was that?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My Sprint to 780- Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 16:49
Let me know how it goes, so I can get tips from you
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: My Sprint to 780- Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 16:41
uchman01 wrote:
Let me know how it goes, so I can get tips from you

Scored 740 (49-Quant at 86 percentile and 45-Verbal at 95 percentile--overall 97 percentile)

Thank you all for your support....but I really think, this time I could have increased that math from 49-51+....I slowed down so much, understanding tough questions that I had to guess the last 6, I am sure I can do better :lol: Mebbe another try coming to make that 740 to 780 (my originial intented score :oops: )
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: My Sprint to 780- Need Guidance [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 19:01
wow that's such a great score 740....i also had a huge gap like daryayurlova, i hope i can improve my verbal this time using similar books as the ones mentioned above
Re: My Sprint to 780- Need Guidance   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2011, 19:01