Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 15:15
hey acer...

even i have joined knewton and completed a few of their sessions...

But I am still struggling to improve my RC skills.... I score 90+ in CR & SC, but only around 40-50 in RC !! I really need to improve a lotttt in RC... :(

Can you pls. suggest some tips or methods to crack RC questions!!

Thanks.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 19:37
What do you think about the difficulty level and conceptual coverage of the questions provided by Knewton?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q36 V41
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 4: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE: Underwriter (Other)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 21:37
I am thinking about enrolling (the 50 point guarantee sounds like a win win to me,) but was wondering if anyone could comment on whether the Knewton instructors or teaching assistants incorporate any official guide material into their lessons or homework assignments?

I started studying for the GMAT 9 months ago, and in that span I have taken it three times, getting a 640, 630, and 650, in that order. I want to give it one last shot, and this is based on the fact that my verbal was in the 92nd percentile the first time around and in the two subsequent exams my verbal has not come close to that original mark. (If I can get the verbal back near that first mark, I should be good since my quant has improved on all three attempts.) Anyway, I attribute this to not really doing much practice with official guide problems leading up to my second and third attempts, so when I took it the second and third time, I simply was not used to the format and language of the GMAT. I took a Manhattan GMAT course prior to my first exam, and while they used a lot of proprietary material, they would tie it into the official guide material as well. For example, for a particular day, they would assign a few chapters from the SC guide, and then at the end of the assigned chapters, you would have a list of official guide problems that pertained to what you just read in those chapters. Basically, I got a lot of practice with official guide problems leading up to my first attempt, and got very little in my second and third attempts, instead relying on Kaplan Quiz Bank problems and running GMATPrep a few times.

I was considering going back and essentially retracing my steps with MGMAT, meaning following the syllabus and study guide, but I am intrigued by what I have heard about Knewton, and I think a fresh approach will really help. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
Knewton GMAT Representative
Schools: BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 10:22
Hi all,

If you're interested in improving your CR scores, check out this blog post from Alex Sarlin, Knewton's GMAT Verbal Lead, all about the best things to read to help your GMAT reading comprehension scores.

Hope it's helpful!
Josh

Josh Anish
Senior Editor
Knewton, Inc

Free GMAT Club tests ($250 value) in addition to any other discounts or coupons when you buy the Knewton Course with KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club discount code.
Use this promo code when you sign up for Knewton: KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 12:15
doggdetroit wrote:
I am thinking about enrolling (the 50 point guarantee sounds like a win win to me,) but was wondering if anyone could comment on whether the Knewton instructors or teaching assistants incorporate any official guide material into their lessons or homework assignments?

I started studying for the GMAT 9 months ago, and in that span I have taken it three times, getting a 640, 630, and 650, in that order. I want to give it one last shot, and this is based on the fact that my verbal was in the 92nd percentile the first time around and in the two subsequent exams my verbal has not come close to that original mark. (If I can get the verbal back near that first mark, I should be good since my quant has improved on all three attempts.) Anyway, I attribute this to not really doing much practice with official guide problems leading up to my second and third attempts, so when I took it the second and third time, I simply was not used to the format and language of the GMAT. I took a Manhattan GMAT course prior to my first exam, and while they used a lot of proprietary material, they would tie it into the official guide material as well. For example, for a particular day, they would assign a few chapters from the SC guide, and then at the end of the assigned chapters, you would have a list of official guide problems that pertained to what you just read in those chapters. Basically, I got a lot of practice with official guide problems leading up to my first attempt, and got very little in my second and third attempts, instead relying on Kaplan Quiz Bank problems and running GMATPrep a few times.

I was considering going back and essentially retracing my steps with MGMAT, meaning following the syllabus and study guide, but I am intrigued by what I have heard about Knewton, and I think a fresh approach will really help. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Great to hear that you have such a high verbal percentile. They do not tag anything to the official guide problems. But most of their practice questions are very very very similar to the Official guide questions. I am concentrating mostly on verbal and I find it really useful though I thought quant was a bit easy.

Let me know if you need any other help in this regard,
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 12:28
acer2knight wrote:
I am the verge of finishing all the Knewton classes. Though I missed a few classes , I could go through them using archived section which is very useful.

Verbal classes were helpful but personally I felt their support was execellent. I have been stressing a lot of the basic grammar while answering the questions in their homework or questions on this forum and they were very helpful in answering all my queries and clearing all my doubts.

My understanding of relative clauses, apositives, sub ordinate clauses , participal phrases and prepositional phrases has improved a lot. Though I am still to master them I am seriously dissecting all their home work problems.

I wasnt even aware of Independent clause+ , + FANBOYS + Independent clause usage when I took my first GMAT....Though I might need to feel ashamed but I feel happy that I learnt atleast now :)

Next Target ...continue dissection of SC questions in Knewton and start looking into Sahil's grammar notes.

CR Target " Planning to go through LSAT CR or Powerscore CR Bible or MGMAT CR ....let me know if anyone of you folks have good download links for these books [please PM me] . I couldnt get the Powerscore score books in India (Bangalore).

P.S : I havent taken any of their CATs since I want to store them for some more time.

i wouldnt feel ashamed.. i didnt know it either and i wasnt even sure how to use had/has beens. When you taking the test? mine is saturday and i hope i wont need the refund :)

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 12:48
I am in the serious process of dissecting English GMAT Grammar!!!! I literally spent my last 4-5 days including the weekend in drilling through various GMAT Prep questions posted specifically in one of the verbal forums. I was trying to get the grammatical way of interpreting these questions and of course drop in a mail to knewton support asking them for suggestions if my interpretation is right.

Boyyy....there is some serious grammar that we need to be aware of .... and I should really mention the support staff of Knewton who have been helping me tremendously.

Support generally works this way ....

Sent a mail to them and they will respond back in 24 hrs. But I could see the responses coming on Saturday night as well. Great support staff at knewton.

Coming back to my dissection of SC, here is my advise :

Make sure you get the basic english grammar right... and dont worry too much about solving the question . Just make sure you understand every phrase or every clause (BTW, I HOPE YOU FOLKS KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PHRASE AND A CLAUSE) in a complete sentence.
Make sure you can identify what is a preposition, what is a conjunction and of course find out the S-V-O of the sentence. This is very important.
Try to write down the basic rules of a prepositinal phrase or a participal phrase or different kinds of clauses like how does each of them need to start ? What is an apositive and how is it different from the clauses...!!!!

Enuf of GYAN...time to apply this now....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 12:52
shaselai wrote:
acer2knight wrote:
I am the verge of finishing all the Knewton classes. Though I missed a few classes , I could go through them using archived section which is very useful.

Verbal classes were helpful but personally I felt their support was execellent. I have been stressing a lot of the basic grammar while answering the questions in their homework or questions on this forum and they were very helpful in answering all my queries and clearing all my doubts.

My understanding of relative clauses, apositives, sub ordinate clauses , participal phrases and prepositional phrases has improved a lot. Though I am still to master them I am seriously dissecting all their home work problems.

I wasnt even aware of Independent clause+ , + FANBOYS + Independent clause usage when I took my first GMAT....Though I might need to feel ashamed but I feel happy that I learnt atleast now :)

Next Target ...continue dissection of SC questions in Knewton and start looking into Sahil's grammar notes.

CR Target " Planning to go through LSAT CR or Powerscore CR Bible or MGMAT CR ....let me know if anyone of you folks have good download links for these books [please PM me] . I couldnt get the Powerscore score books in India (Bangalore).

P.S : I havent taken any of their CATs since I want to store them for some more time.

i wouldnt feel ashamed.. i didnt know it either and i wasnt even sure how to use had/has beens. When you taking the test? mine is saturday and i hope i wont need the refund :)

Give your BEST.....HOPE for the BEST and FORGET THE REST ....!!! You should do it well ...BTW , you already have a pretty decent score of 720 so dont worry too much about the score now. Give your best shot and see if it works.... :)
ALL THE BEST ....Do post us your score and experience of course.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 13:11
acer2knight wrote:
Will leave you folks with a teaser :

She was less successful after she had emigrated
to New York compared to her native Germany,
Photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small
Group of discerning admirers, and her P h o t o graphs
Were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries
Across the United States.

(A) She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to
(B) Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to
(C) Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in
(D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to
(E) She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in

How do you interpret this :
Photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small Group of discerning admirers - this is a complete sentence or a independent clause., and her photographs were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States. - is this correct . Ofcourse it is , comma + FANBOYS word "word" + independent clause.
Now coming to the underlined part :

She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to her native Germany,

This needs to be a dependent clause and cannot be a independent clause since the following clause is an independent clause and doesnt have a FANBOYS in there so we will need to pick a choice which is a dependent clause.
so eliminate A and E

D though is dependent clause starting with "Although" (subordinating conjunction) has wrong comparision at the end.

B carries the same mistake of wrong comparison.

C -> Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in -> has the right comparison in here between after "she emigrated to New York" than "she had been in her native Germany" and "Less Successful" is the adjective modifying the subject of the sentence Photographer Lotte Jacobi and "after she emigrated to New York than she had been in" is a subordinate or adverbial conjunction modifying this adjective.

Question to everyone in general: Is it really necessary to know/memorize all the jargon? I got the question correct, but I really don't know the names such as independent clause, dependent clause, phrase, adverbial conjunction, etc. I am a native English speaker so I just go by sound/feel. Did everyone else who did well on SC memorize this stuff?

For reference, I am aiming for 750+.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 07:17
I am a non-native english speaker and I followed a different strategy before and I couldnt fare well in the main exam. I wanted to approach GMAT in completely different way, so here I am trying to get my basics right.

Seriously you need not memorize all of these jargons if you can recognize all these patterns. But I think you will need to atleast know the basic grammar rules which can make your life easy during the exam day.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 11:44
Hi Acer,

Can you please shed some light on knewton course of the way things going there . I am interested in joining the course and getting some reviews would be helpful for making a firm decision

Thanks..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 21:46
sv76 wrote:
Hi Acer,

Can you please shed some light on knewton course of the way things going there . I am interested in joining the course and getting some reviews would be helpful for making a firm decision

Thanks..

Hey I sent you a PM , please check and let me know in case you have further questions
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Wharton and Ross

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 15:03
Hi acer2knight,

Would you mind sharing your Knewton experience with me as well? Have you written the exam and if so was Knewton helpful?

I am also planning to sign up for the class soon. PM me if that's preferable.

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 19:12
sunnyrollen wrote:
Hi acer2knight,

Would you mind sharing your Knewton experience with me as well? Have you written the exam and if so was Knewton helpful?

I am also planning to sign up for the class soon. PM me if that's preferable.

Thanks.

Hey I sent you a PM , please check and let me know in case you have further questions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 08:39
Sorry guys I was busy caught between my preparation and my job.

Classes to the end of Knewton were a bit dull and less effective. I finished all the sessions and started taking their CATs.

BTW, I was an ardent fan of Knewton support until I got a mail saying that I am asking too many questions to their Knewton. I need to agree that I was asking a bit initially. Though I didnt like the way they put it. Apart from that, need to agree that Lara of Knewton support is a wonderful with her explanations.

I started taking Knewton CATs. Man their scoring is really screwed. You get 5 questions wrong in Quant and your score of Quant reads 45.....!!!!! Got to be kidding....

My GMAT Date is June 28th.....

Knewton Diag : 710
Knewton CAT 1 : 680 (Verbal - 8 mistakes gave me 33 in Verbal and 5 mistakes gave me 48 in Quant)
Knewton CAT 2 : 710 (Verbal - 8 mistakes gave me 35 in Verbal and 2 mistakes gave me 51 in Quant)
Knewton CAT 3 : 680 (Verbal - 9 mistakes gave me 38 in Verbal and 5 mistakes gave me 45 in Quant)
GMAT Prep : 750
GMAT Prep 2 : 770
GMAT Prep 1 (Repeat) : 780
Knewton CAT 3 : 720 (Verbal - 3 mistakes gave me 36 in Verbal and 2 mistakes gave me 51 in Quant) - Took it today
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 09:26
that's unfortunate that knewton has a limit on the number of questions you can ask them. sounds like bad customer service.

i think you are doing fine, despite your knewton cat scores. based on your gmatprep, you look like you are on your way to 750+!
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1987

Kudos [?]: 6437 [0], given: 3569

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 10:18
Expert's post
Thank you for the feedback - that's great to know.
When is the big day?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 11:02
Hey bb, its on June 28th.

@ username :

Ya I dont want to read too much into GMAT Prep scores though. A few questions that you already see on forums keep repeating .... but knewton CAT verbal section is a good estimator though. I have a OG kind of explanation notes prepared myself for Old GMAT Prep questions around 130-140 questions with the help of Knewton support. So I dont want to say they gave me a bad customer experience.

May be the student enrollments have picked up and they might be feeling the heat now... :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 22:24
bb wrote:
Thank you for the feedback - that's great to know.
When is the big day?

Hey BB,

Need a suggestion :

Finished my GMAT yesterday scored 710. I am not sure if I should be happy with this or feel bad.

Will have 6 years of experience by the time I join 2012 class (if I get thru and etc etc)

Profile : Pre-Sales/ Telecom

3 years of International Experience (American Express @ US)

Currently working for Nokia R&D

How do you see my chances for ISB or colleges in Top 20?
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 161

Kudos [?]: 833 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 00:03
Congrats 710 is a good score.

Anything above 700 + good application = admission in top school

Please share your detailed debreif

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey...   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2010, 00:03